Is piano better than guitar?

I'm no guitarist, I have and play a guitar. Messed around for a while a couple years ago, and I found melodies much cooler and eaiser on the piano.

Better would be hard to prove but I would say Piano is more flexible. And if you are diligent you can graduate to the King of Instruments. :D

Wannamaker.jpeg

Greetings!

Lately I've been playing alot of guitar but my progress is so/so. I was learning the goodbye to romance guitar solo which is surprisingly easy, however I still feel that the guitar does not feel as natural for me. I spend a lot of time playing each little lick super slowly to get the muscle memory down.

Any-who, I've started college again and decided to start learning piano. I already knew a little about sheet music and so far I've practiced two hours a day for 3 straight days and I'm loving it. Even after two hours I still want to keep playing. The piano feels more intimate and I feel I can express more emotion as well as the notes and progressions make more sense to me since its all laid out in one straight line unlike a guitar where its 6 strings.

I really love classical piano and am learning chopins 4th ballade to start and i'm loving learning it so far. I know thats ambitious for a newbie like me but I already understand the level of practice it takes to learn this stuff. Plus I have two hours a day for 4 days a week in between my classes. I practice all the same licks for two hours straight so it becomes muscle memory and i'm actually making some decent progress. and Im loving it so far. I also feel a really personal connection to ballade No. 4 and it reminds me of a girl who broke my heart as well as the progression of the piece has lots of parallels with my life over the last few years.

Like I said it feels more intimate and natural for me when I play piano and I am just loving it. I don't know if this is temporary though. Maybe im liking it because it is a new experience? has anyone switched from guitar and piano and liked it better?
Why not both? It doesnt have to be either/or. The range of expression is in the hands of the player and each has its range and advantages.

Wow I haven’t seen this post in awhile and I’m happy there is still interest/follow up on the thread.

As far as piano vs guitar, they are two completely different animals. I haven’t been able to play piano since my school closed down due to the rona and I don’t have a piano at home.

I also just finished building my guitar. I’ve been playing a little guitar but not a whole lot. I actually just started learning cliffs of dover today.

To me piano makes more beautiful music and guitar (electric) makes a different type of music altogether. I can’t really pick between the two. the mindset for composing music on them is very different.

I just hope I can play more piano soon.

Cheers!

Wow I haven’t seen this post in awhile and I’m happy there is still interest/follow up on the thread.

As far as piano vs guitar, they are two completely different animals. I haven’t been able to play piano since my school closed down due to the rona and I don’t have a piano at home.

I also just finished building my guitar. I’ve been playing a little guitar but not a whole lot. I actually just started learning cliffs of dover today.

To me piano makes more beautiful music and guitar (electric) makes a different type of music altogether. I can’t really pick between the two. the mindset for composing music on them is very different.

I just hope I can play more piano soon.

Cheers!

So'd y'all ever reach consensus re: young Nick's question?

I love the quiet part of Love Lies Bleeding in My Hand when Elton is doing his thing.
it is magical.
but then so is Davey when he comes in with those chords

"Expression", like magic, is in the performer, not the instrument (wand). Expressive virtuosic playing on anything IS magic.

Why not both? It doesnt have to be either/or. The range of expression is in the hands of the player and each has its range and advantages.

Agreed. I had to do one -- piano (and organ) from age five -- the other was my "elective" circa age of nine.

Strong preference for the geetar, back in the '60s and still, though i'll admit that formal training at piano and organ provided a much stronger foundation in music theory, composition, and tonal structures.

But the geetars, acoustic and especially electrics, were -- for me -- from the get-go a lot more "fun", a passion which only deepened as I collected different types/makes/models of geetars, amps, and effects pedals. Heck, geetar & geetar stuff tradin', buyin' 'n sellin' even turned into a business for me.

Last edited:
Neither in a marching band, but guitar if you must choose.

An electric +Pignose amp and you're in the marching band. OTOH, one could go the keyboard route, also w/ a portable amp, via one of those deals that Edgar Winter played:

iu

I am more inclined to choose the piano, as I have been playing the guitar for many years. Anyone can learn to play the guitar But I only play the piano recently, and I can say that talent is necessary for that instrument

Izzat right? Try this on for size, Bucky...

PS: Anyone can learn play piano and/or guitar, well or badly, up to the learner to excell ... or not.

Back
Top Bottom