Is the Emotiva BasX TA-100 a good match for my RSL CG-8a Speakers?

Also, open to other recommendations for a stereo amp in the same price ranged. I prefer a warm sounding amp that can deliver lots of bass.

Here's the specs of my speakers:

Model : RSL CG-8A
Configuration : 8-Inch 2-Way System
Frequency Response: 48 HZ to 22 kHZ (+-2.5dB)
Sensitivity : 91dB at 1 watt/1 meter
Min. Ampplifier Power : 15 Watts
Max. Amplifier Power : 150 Watts
Nominal Impedance : 4 Ohms
Crossover Frequency : 2500 Hz
Woofer Size : 210 mm
Woofer Material : Carbon-Fiber Poly
Tweeter Size : 28 mm
Tweeter Mateial : Treated Fabric Dome
Dimensions (HxWxD) : 16 x 10,5 x 12 inches
Net Weight Each : 26 Pounds

Thanks in advance!

Well, even though Emotiva won't call it one, the TA-100 is a receiver. So is the tuner something you want? When you write stereo amp, many of us begin thinking about integrated amps, so are you looking for a stereo receiver, or an integrated?

Well, even though Emotiva won't call it one, the TA-100 is a receiver. So is the tuner something you want? When you write stereo amp, many of us begin thinking about integrated amps, so are you looking for a stereo receiver, or an integrated?
Sorry, I'm looking for an integrated amp.

Since no one else bothered to answer your question, I would say yes the Emotiva should be adequate to power your speakers. They're fairly efficient at 91dB at 1 watt/1 meter. The Emotiva is spec'ed at 50 watts RMS per channel (20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.02%; into 8 Ohms). 90 watts RMS per channel (1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms).

This would give you a max SPL of around 105 db at 1 meter (3 feet) which is pretty loud. Now it might not adequate if using it for a very large room.

I have two Emotiva devices (XDA-2, UMC-200). IME/O they deliver a lot of bang for the buck. I would have said I agree with musichal but you were quite emphatic about not wanting a receiver. However, IMO the Emotiva TA100 will be a more than adequate device. If you don't want the FM tuner just don't use it.

You might consider the Yamaha AS-301, at about the same power output as the Emotiva. I have an Emotiva PT-100, same as the TA, except lacking the power amp, and costs less. I like the product, but the lack of a fixed output means I can't play with the record function of my cassette decks. I didn't think that would matter to me at the time, as cassette is something I thought I'd retire. Turns out, I like playing with cassette decks. If you are certain you'll never need a fixed output, then it is a good choice, imo.

However, one more caveat about Emotiva are the displays, and this was also true for their top stereo preamp - the display characters are spindly and dimmer than the blue circles around the volume control, making them very difficult to read across the room, or even close up, for that matter. The sound is good, the ergonomics less so.

For instance, the very cheap-feeling remote controls of these BASX components are, as a friend characterized it, a bit wonky. Not very handy in the dark in bed when you can't read the spindly display, but need to be able to do so in order to know where you are in the menu. For instance, I have to get up to change FM stations because that requires doing in a sub-menu, and I have to get close enough to the component to read the display.. The TA works the same as my PT.

You can change sources, volume up/down, mute, and choose Mono/Stereo without entering the menu, though. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Really helpful. These are some candidates I'm considering but I'm leaning towards the Yamaha:
Yamaha A-S501 (which I can get refurb for some savings)
Marantz PM5005
NAD 326BEE

On the other hand, I tried testing the speakers with my Lepai 2020 amp expecting its gonna suck but I was surprised the Lepai sounded pretty good. Makes me question if I really need a new amp lol

FWIW, I own the TA-100. I had considered the Yamaha A-S301 as well as the similar Onkyo 9050. I never had the opportunity to audition the Yamaha so I can't comment on it, but I can say the Emotiva TA-100 exceeded my expectations. It has plenty of power to drive my inefficient KEF Q-100s to loud levels. Not house party loud, perhaps, but I wouldn't do that to the Q100's. It is true that the TA-100 is technically an FM only receiver; you wouldn't know that it was an FM receiver from looking at it. It also has a USB input and input for a proprietary Bluetooth dongle. I think "warm" can sometimes mean very different things to different people. I would characterize the TA-100 as very well balanced, and more revealing compared to the Harmon Kardon HK3390 receiver it replaced.

Back
Top Bottom