Is there a 20 page limit for search results? What is the limit?

aj_chicago

Spin 'em if ya got 'em
It seems there is a limit on search results and I find that simple searching for keywords Dual, Pioneer, Technics, Thorens all yield 20 pages or less of results. I do understand limiting search results. The bad thing here is that it seems that this limit on a very popular subject will only yield you current posts. Can't get to the older ones because there are so many new posts that they are the only ones that show up in the limited search. I haven't tested this thoroughly, but searching the Turntable forum for Dual gives me 19 pages of results and page 19 has nothing but year 2017 posts in it. Is this by design or by oversight? There is a wealth of knowledge out there (in the database), but it can't be found with limits like that. Is there somewhere where one can read about search limits and generally how the forum works? Is there a better place to post something like this where administrators might take note or have an answer? Thanks.

How do you figure? Never mind it's a rhetorical question. You helped me? Not hardly. Straight into the iggy pit you go.:bye:

At first I thought you were just being a smart a$$, but it was just me being a dumb a$$ and it did finally click. Why yes! That should do it. That's weird. How the heck does that work? Making a note of that one. Thanks!

I'm not certain exactly how the search is configured here, but I know that search terms are limited to a maximum number (500? 1,000?). The only way to drill down is to use the advanced search to filter by date, or be more specific in the search terms (for equipment, give a model number). Certain search operators work here as well, since search is powered by Elasticsearch. Too lengthy to go into at the moment, but Elasticsearch offers a lot more than what the old FULLTEXT search in MySQL offered (which was essentially just simple matching of strings).

At first I thought you were just being a smart a$$, but it was just me being a dumb a$$ and it did finally click. Why yes! That should do it. That's weird. How the heck does that work? Making a note of that one. Thanks!

You're kidding .... right?

Back
Top Bottom