Is there a legal download service with full size wave files?

DaveThreshol

More Q's than A's.....
The only reason that I don't download I-tunes, and the 99 cent MP-3's is because of the limited fidelity. Is there a service where you can download the real, full size songs? I would LOVE that.

The only one I know of is www.allofmp3.com but I don't know if it is legal or not. I think that would be a good question. What is the definition of legal here?

Rick
Well, by legal I mean if I pay that's fine, and something the wicked little RIAA won't try to get me the death penalty for. LOL seriously something that is totally condoned by all the parties involved. Edited to add: Thanks for answering by the way.

The only one I know of is www.allofmp3.com but I don't know if it is legal or not. I think that would be a good question. What is the definition of legal here?
It technically isn't illegal, but for all practical purposes it might as well be. Paypal and Visa have both shut down processing for the website. Western music companies and affiliated organizations have been leaning heavily on Moscow for a long time to shut down the service. The Russians promised to change their laws to make the site illegal by June of this year. I'm not sure what the status of that is - I haven't heard anything either way.

Full size WAV files is a little past the point of practicality.

When done with proper ripping techniques, lossless codecs like FLAC really stand up to the originals very well...and save a lot of space. Even then, you're looking at 300-400MB per album. WAV would be a lot more.

iTunes is beginning to offer music in the Apple Lossless format.
They don't make it easy to find however, I found it once but can't find it now.:no:
It was only slightly more expensive.

Oops, my bad, it's not lossless, just higher quality, it is free of rights management however.

"Now you can download music and videos from EMI that are free of DRM rules and restrictions. With iTunes Plus, you can burn the music you download from iTunes to as many CDs as you need, transfer it to as many computers (Mac or PC) as you want, or sync it to as many devices as you like. And because it's encoded in 256 kbps AAC, your iTunes Plus music is virtually indistinguishable from the original recording. Hear it for yourself — you can preview all iTunes Plus songs before purchasing.

iTunes Plus music is available now for many EMI artists, such as Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, Coldplay, and many more. DRM-free EMI music videos are still $1.99 and music tracks are $1.29.

Even better yet, you can also upgrade existing EMI songs in your iTunes collection for just $.30 per song. "

JimJ[VT];1210413 said:
Full size WAV files is a little past the point of practicality.

When done with proper ripping techniques, lossless codecs like FLAC really stand up to the originals very well...and save a lot of space. Even then, you're looking at 300-400MB per album. WAV would be a lot more.

Just for a point of reference, a standard CD disk is 650 MB, and one standard album pretty much fills it up.

Just for a point of reference, a standard CD disk is 650 MB, and one standard album pretty much fills it up.
Just for a point of clarity, a full 80 minute disc will be about 800MB. Most losslessly compressed files give you about a 50% savings in space.

Back
Top Bottom