1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to adjust to high and low volume limits on a flac file

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by airtime, Jan 2, 2018.

1. airtime

airtime Super Member

I finally got the EAC to cooperate and have been ripping FLAC files to a thumb drive.

I listen to classical music and own a number of CDs from Classic FM 100 London. However it seems their engineer likes to record their CDs with extreme lows and highs. I mean it's like taking a hearing test on one passage and the windows are shaking a few bars later.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on both ends of the rip process? Or some retooling of the file?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

You could use Audacity to put some compression on the audio.

jwest1197 likes this.
  3. jwest1197

jwest1197 New Member

I typically wouldn't consider high dynamic range to be an issue in the home. I'd only consider this to be an issue in the car. You could buy a separate compressor from guitar center for the home and route it through the tape monitors on a reciever, you could do what dr audio said, or if you just need it in the car, Kicker makes an amplifier with a built in DSP that has a compressor available to you.

4. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

A DBX 118 would sound very good. If you look at GC, look for a compressor made for recording.

5. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

I'm pretty sure EAC has a normalize option that can be tweaked. Not sure if it would help here, or if it's just for comp type rips, but it might be worth looking into.

6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

You can normalize all your files, using JRiver but it takes a while.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. mars_volta

mars_volta Super Member

Compression.

8. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

First time I've heard someone complain about music with wide dynamic range. It's the musicians who are determining relative levels. :)

olderroust and awillia6 like this.