Is there an actor/actress who deserves an Oscar, but has never won?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
Hope this topic hasn't been covered already? Did a quick check but didn't find one.

So thought to find out what actor/actress should have won an Oscar, might have come close, but just never made it. If you would just choose just the one, it would be appreciated, as I'm compiling a list that will give me a shorter list to look up and see why you chose this person.

If you do have the time, it would add to my information base, what movie they were in, and what ever info you want to share of why you chose this entertainer who deserves an Oscar for their part in the movie.

There aren't any right answers, just different POV's as we all have different takes on what constitutes an above average performance, and there are probably many who missed the "mark", but were overlooked for one reason or another. Any genre is open for suggestions.

Q

Just a bit off the topic of actors/actresses: great comedies never (please correct me if I am wrong!) get an Oscar for the best film. A strong case that comes to mind is "Young Frankestein".

Looks like a good choice.:thumbsup: Guess he had to bone up on wrestler skills? In another movie, I know he had to be a singer. More skills. Versatile guy.

Q

And in still another he portrayed (fairly well) Charles Bukowski.

Just a bit off the topic of actors/actresses: great comedies never (please correct me if I am wrong!) get an Oscar for the best film. A strong case that comes to mind is "Young Frankestein".

Some Like It Hot, probably the greatest film comedy ever produced, was nominated for the Oscar Award in six categories but won none. It was nominated for the Golden Globe Award in three categories and won all three. Guess the "Academy" just wasn't ready for a film, even a comedy, that featured cross dressing and for playing with the idea of homosexuality, both reasons for which it was produced without receiving the formal approval of the Motion Picture Production Code.

All righty then.

So did any of the fabulous main or character actors (Lemon, Curtis, Monroe, Brown, Raft, Persoff, others) or director Billy Wilder go on to win "The Oscar Award" for other work? Hmmm..... Wilder became the first person to win Academy Awards as producer, director, and screenwriter for the same film: The Apartment (1960). However male lead Jack lemon, though nominated for best Actor, did not win.

I'm too busy to check onthe rest of the SLIH cast, but dang it all the great George Raft oughtta have won an Oscar for sumthin'...

Last edited:

One could argue that The Apartment (1960) is a comedy, a film for which Billy Wilder won a raft of Oscar awards.

One could argue that The Apartment (1960) is a comedy, a film for which Billy Wilder won a raft of Oscar awards.

Yes, you are right. Thanks for correcting my statement. In any case, it seems clear that comedies are not in favor for the "Best Movie" award, at least that is my impression. I believe this is unfair.

Yes, you are right. Thanks for correcting my statement. In any case, it seems clear that comedies are not in favor for the "Best Movie" award, at least that is my impression. I believe this is unfair.

For the most part I agree with you, but Billy Wilder was a talent that even The Academy, with all its self-important pretentiousness, could not ignore twice.

Excellent post! The critics tend to go with, over the top take on a character who tends to cry their hearts out, yet those who are able to make us laugh/chuckle/lbelly shake all through a production tend to be lost in the high drama choices they end up with. Whew...can take a breath now!

At this point I can think of some comedians in the past who could have climbed that mountain of acceptance, but maybe comedy is looked down on?

Q

Last edited:
Seems like a lotta support for 'ol Mickey R. There's also Nine 1/2 Weeks, quite contoversial and celebrated in its day, which can be added to his list of fine works.

Always thought Jackie Gleason deserved a supporting actor award for The Hustler with Newman or Soldier in the Rain with McQueen. As usual,another comic over looked by the Academy.

Always thought Jackie Gleason deserved a supporting actor award for The Hustler with Newman or Soldier in the Rain with McQueen. As usual,another comic over looked by the Academy.

Soldier In The Rain ... I don't recall having seen it, I'll have to track down a copy of that one. As for his part as Minnesota Fats in The Hustler, he performance was (as you have already suggested) superb.

A fun fact about The Hustler: Jake LaMotta, the one-time World Middlewieght Champion boxer, played one of the two bartenders in the film. (Vincent Gardenia played the other one)

Back
Top Bottom