Is there an actor/actress who deserves an Oscar, but has never won?

Always thought Jackie Gleason deserved a supporting actor award for The Hustler with Newman or Soldier in the Rain with McQueen. As usual,another comic over looked by the Academy.

Jackie Gleason was incredibly talented. He could do comedy and drama equally well. "Gigot" was another of his great film performances. He was also a good dancer, especially for a big man.

-Dave

Robert Mitchum (for, say, Cape Fear).

Mitchum's main "fault" as an actor is that he made it look so effortless.

OK, I might be going out on the limb on this one, but I think one actor who should have made it at least once was Burt Reynolds in his initial entrance into the big screen in "Deliverance". Many who followed years later, used his role in this movie as a template to imitate.

He's won at least a couple doz maj awards, with lots of Golden Globes but only one Oscar nominee for so many different genres from westerns, comedies, to some pretty serious stuff. But in most of them he did play the role to the hilt, however, not a lot of "heavier" roles came his way. Mind you ending up on the centre page in Cosmopolitan didn't help his case either.:rolleyes:

However, as written on the onset of this thread, there is no right or wrong choice...just a person's POV.

Q

OK, I might be going out on the limb on this one, but I think one actor who should have made it at least once was Burt Reynolds in his initial entrance into the big screen in "Deliverance". Many who followed years later, used his role in this movie as a template to imitate.

He's won at least a couple doz maj awards, with lots of Golden Globes but only one Oscar nominee for so many different genres from westerns, comedies, to some pretty serious stuff. But in most of them he did play the role to the hilt, however, not a lot of "heavier" roles came his way. Mind you ending up on the centre page in Cosmopolitan didn't help his case either.:rolleyes:

However, as written on the onset of this thread, there is no right or wrong choice...just a person's POV.

Q

Burt was great in "The Longest Yard".

-Dave

How about Bruce Campbell for his portrayal of dead Elvis in Bubba HoTep? He DID win THREE Fangoria Chainsaw awards! ;-}

trophy_chainsaw_PNG.png

How about Bruce Campbell for his portrayal of dead Elvis in Bubba HoTep? He DID win THREE Fangoria Chainsaw awards! ;-}

trophy_chainsaw_PNG.png

I'm a big Bruce Campell fan. It seems like always plays the same character. Himself. ;) :)

-Dave

Maybe not for smoky and the bandit:eek:

But he was the best character in that series as well and coul certainly "out-act" The Burt, who himself was a pretty decent comedy and/or dramatic actor. Recall his role in the film adaptation of Deliverance? Not bad, was it?

Was Nick Nolte ever nominated for Best or Best Supporting? I've enjoyed much of his film work.

We haven't mentioned The Ladies Of Film much @ this thread, so I'll offer one opinion: Shelly Winters did a helluva lotta great work in the 50s. A Best Supporting for her portrayal of "the widow/new wife/mom" in Night of The Hunter would not have been out of order. Her final scene in that one was chilling to say the least.

Hmm, I missed the previous accolades to Burt's talent. Longest Yard was one, I'll assume Deliverance was the other? Right there we have ample examples of his range.

I think this was about Reynolds acting in both the original and the remake of The Longest Yard.

My favorite Reynolds movie was STICK.
George Segal,Charles Durning,Candice Bergan. Some great lines in this
Hey Bunny Eyes
Say Goodnight Cecil
Why dont you try pushing off,you might hit the water.

Last edited:
I always thought Robert Downey's jr. role in Tropic Thunder was oscar worthy. He really pulled off the role of a white actor portraying a black soldier. The un cut version is really good too,more stupidity,more chuckles.

On the female side there is one actress...or is it more correct to use actor?... who should have garnered an Oscar, but I believe she has not. She has been nominated at least six times, but got beat out in the final count.

The person...Glenn Close. Man she's been terrific in more than one movie, but in the final show down, didn't have a chance to hold onto that little golden guy and thank the world in two hundred words or less.

Last edited:
On the female side there is one actress...or is it more correct to use actor?... who should have garnered an Oscar, but I believe she has not. She has been nominated at least six times, but got beat out in the final count.

I had not known til now that Glenn had been nominated and not won even a single award of those six (6) nominations. Scandalous. Did one of those six (6) nominations happen to be for her role @ the film Dangerous Liaisons, the film in which she deftly portrayed an aging yet still influential courtier during the reign of Louis XVI, i.e., the last Bourbon to rule France before La Révolution?

I thought her portrayal/performance in this film was/is superb.

Last edited:
I had not known til now that Glenn had been nominated and not won even a single award of those six (6) nominations. Scandalous. Did one of those six (6) nominations happen to be for her role @ the film Dangerous Liaisons, the film in which she deftly portrayed an aging yet still influential courtier during the reign of Louis XVI, i.e., the last Bourbon to rule France before La Révolution?

I thought her portrayal/performance in this film was/is superb.

Yes, I believe Close was in that production, playing that particular role to the hilt. My fav was with Douglas wherein she filled that part making her so believable as the other woman. I remember she had lots of the "on the edge" types threatening her after the role in that movie.

I also recall several actors who also should have taken the "big brass ring", make that gold ring, even some who were selected, felt that there was a lot of "behind the scene": goings on that just didn't go down right with them. Today, it seems to be more evident as the politics of the day have taken over, and retribution seems to be the minds of the many. Not to start a range war, as I have no knowledge base make any valid POV on this aspect of the end selection and how it's arrived at. However, like any institution in life, involving a lot of people, with lots of money in the mix, politics does raise its ugly head.

Q

Back
Top Bottom