Is this set up acceptable?

punprankster

20180512_111919.jpg

I want to bring out my second table with a MM cart so I don't have to wear out my Denon DL-103R quick. I've read somewhere before that it is not ideal to put a table on the left side of an amp because it may pick up the hum from the amp's power source. Is that true?

Is this set up fine or if not, what's the best way to arrange them? I don't think I'll be able to fit my stack in the middle cubby of the cabinet. Should i just lose the second table?

Why would it matter if it's on the left or the right? Cause the cartridge is closer to the amp? If it sounds okay to you, there's your answer.

Why would it matter if it's on the left or the right? Cause the cartridge is closer to the amp? If it sounds okay to you, there's your answer.

Yes, that's what I read when I was starting in this hobby and it's stuck with me since. Never tried putting the table to the left of the amp.
Thanks for the reply.

Not all amps have the PS on the left side--so I guess it would depend on the amp, but the PS of the amp should be adequately shielded as to not interfere with any other components outside of the casing--or inside the casing, for that matter. If it is interfering with the TT/cart outside of the case, what is it doing to the phono stage inside of the case? Old wive's tale.

What I see as least appropriate about your set-up is the proximity of the speakers to the TTs.

If you're cartridge is somehow picking up hum it "could" be from a power transformer nearby. They are, after all, both devices that use magnetic fields to work.

I wouldn't say it's a rule though. If your setup sounds fine the way it is, no reason to change it.

I have an MC phono stage in two boxes - linear power supply in one, and the rest of it the other. When placed close side by side, it is quieter with the power supply on the right. Notice the location of the transformer.

810003-vincent-pho8.jpg

View attachment 1185163

I want to bring out my second table with a MM cart so I don't have to wear out my Denon DL-103R quick. I've read somewhere before that it is not ideal to put a table on the left side of an amp because it may pick up the hum from the amp's power source. Is that true?

Is this set up fine or if not, what's the best way to arrange them? I don't think I'll be able to fit my stack in the middle cubby of the cabinet. Should i just lose the second table?
Very nice! I love Luxman. I remember seeing your setup on Facebook earlier in the week.

Unless you have an audible hum, you should be okay.

It depends on your cartridge and turntable pickup wire isolation. If you are not hearing noises in the placement of your deck, then you're good.

Back
Top Bottom