Isn't this beautiful

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
I wish i could afford this

yes

yes

one day I will own one...I love listening to my humble old radios..a Crosley and a Philco...

Wow, it's gorgeous. So many old radios were more art than electronic equipment. Zenith Stratosphere, Sparton Nocturne, Bluebird, and "Sled", all works of art with prices to match.

I've scrapped loads of similar wooden radios over the past few years. What i've found is they just aren't worth anything and nobody wants them. Perhaps it's different over the pond?

I've scrapped loads of similar wooden radios over the past few years. What i've found is they just aren't worth anything and nobody wants them. Perhaps it's different over the pond?
It depends on the radio. On both sides of the pond, there are beautiful items that are valuable and have excellent electronics (though some desirable items have fairly crappy electronics), but there's a awful lot of ugly mass-produced stinky electrocution-fodder -- the 1930s to 1960s equivalent to Yorx and Soundesign, or worse -- that nobody wants.

By the way, if you run across one of these not-even-good-enough-for-wood Bakelite radios...

EkcoA22.jpg

...they're utterly worthless and nobody wants them and they're embarrassing to have around, so I'll save you the bother and humiliation of having to scrap it. Just set it to one side, let me know you've got it and I'll pop down and, uh, dispose of it for you.

Those old radios are beautiful. I have somehow managed to ignore their siren song, and have never gotten into them.

One of these years, I have to make a trip to Kutztown, PA for the fest!

Jack, you will go into sensory overload! I've been there twice and I'm sure glad I don't have the "bug" for old radio's. Just to much cool stuff to see.
The neat thing is, if your not after something rare, a nice example of an antique radio is not all that expensive. Some of the veneer work is incredible on those old units.

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom