It looks like the "straight wire with gain" theory is being questioned

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by the skipper, Dec 30, 2017.

1. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

Gain can be positive or negative. Even an active preamplifier, which has a powered amplifier, can output a signal having negative gain, that is, attenuate the input signal.

I would venture to say that every preamp uses negative gain. I know if I were to apply the input signal from some of my non-TT sources directly to my amp, I would blow my speakers.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Voltage gain. Current attenuation. Lossy. Power attenuation.

c.coyle and DaveVoorhis like this.
  3. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

No, no, don't say that! I was betting this thread would make at least 10 pages.
    You old fuddy duddy.

4. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use a passive with a relay activated selector. it also has an extra pass through output bipassing the selector and volume control. I use the pass through for my headphone amp. the headphone amp has a set of rca outs that I use to drive another amp. Most of my other systems do have active tone contols. I tend not to need them unless the recording is lacking. I'm kinda liking the idea of the Loki in my main system since it has a bipass switch. The small footprint is also a plus for me. Tone control when you need it. It's just that simple. Having the right speakers to begin with is important also.
    20180102_114407.jpg 20171114_084745.jpg 20171114_084726.jpg

5. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

More so than a Loki I'd jump on a stand alone variable loudness control based on the latest data in a hot minute. OTOH, maybe that could be added to Loki.

Putterman, Son-of-Vere and Lavane like this.
  6. c.coyle

c.coyle AK Subscriber Subscriber

That would be loss.

Hey, I take no position whatsoever on whether tone controls are good or bad. But when we start calling attenuation gain, I start thinking of Alice in Wonderland and 1984.

awillia6 and Lavane like this.

7. Lavane

:thumbsup:

8. Lavane

9. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Attenuation, not negative gain. Line level output from a source may be sufficient to drive a power amp to full output without an active line preamplifier, in which cases an in line attenuator, a passive level control, is all that is required.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Lavane likes this.
  10. guitarlvr

guitarlvr Super Member

Already, bought one LOVE it.

dmckean, Lavane and Bodyblue like this.
  11. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Gain in basic definition is simply the ratio of output relative to input.

6dB attenuation, -6dB gain; six of one, half-dozen of another.

RTally, loopstick and DaveVoorhis like this.

12. Lavane

I'm most curious about the bass control and how it works/sounds when used.

13. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Not often. The voltage may be sufficient, but the source output impedance may be too high, especially when hanging off a passive attenuator. Achieving a remotely flat response with a typical passive attenuator into a equally typical 20k input impedance power amp is impossible. HF roll-off is inevitable.

This is correct. All active preamplifiers can output a negative gain figure. People may think they are attenuating as a whole, but internally, they are amplifying, then attenuating, bufering and produce an output amplitude that appears lower than the original source amplitude.

However, they offer a phenomenally low output impedance due to the active buffer stage and can achieve ruler flat responses in a typical system. This is something passive attenuators simply cannot do.

14. Son-of-Vere

Son-of-Vere Super Member

I don't think inferior is the right word to use here. Lots of us have less than ideal conditions. I have a room full of junk here. My pro 31 band GEQ is a bit noisy. If I turn it all the way up, I can hear the hash. But at that level, I don't want to be in the room, plus massive clipping is no fun either. Keep in mind I'm for this unit, but I seriously doubt you'll see this in a $200K+ system. At this price level I would expect no need for outside processing (I include room/room treatments as part of a system at that level).

OK, so we have a few folks here that have purchased one. Do the test. Switch to a non-noisy input, like a CD player. With no source playing, turn on the tone box and turn the volume to full. Hear any extra noise? Now turn it down, hit bypass and swing the volume to full again. Is there any difference? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bodyblue, Lavane and awillia6 like this.
  15. Lavane

Yes, we do!

16. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Corey Greenberg, while at Stereophile, came up with a reasonably transparent buffered level controller, based on the BUF-01 device ca 1990. I'd like to find one of the advanced versions for sale. My Conrad Johnson Motif MC-9 uses just a pair of FETs per channel to provide a modest gain stage into a source follower line driver.
    My passive is an input selector Noble 10k black cube switch point pot.
    I'd like to think that any modern solid state line source could drive a 1k loading, that would make things much easier.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

17. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Actually, that was an attempt at sarcasm.

Bodyblue likes this.
  18. Son-of-Vere

Son-of-Vere Super Member

Sorry Skip, came off as a dig. I've become too use to the "/sarc" tag. Guess I should have read your sig line.

19. E-Stat

E-Stat Addicted Member

Goody for you. Not all do nor necessarily use transformers.

20. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Speaking of transformers - the Hydraulic Jack. On one end you have a small force (voltage) and great movement (current). On the other end you have a great force (voltage) and small movement (current). In terms of direction (polarity) you can think of both the force and movement (voltage and current) as being "transformed" by a "negative" gain.

The force and movement (voltage and current) of your hand is downward, but the direction of the transformed force and movement (voltage and current) is upward (inverted). So setting aside the logarithms of numbers greater than or less than 1.0 - you can still have a "negative" gain with an absolute value greater than 1.0, and a "positive" gain with an absolute value less than 1.0.

OK - that's tonight's bedtime story. Good night.

ev13wt likes this.