It was awfully damn loud...

quaddriver

120 What?'s per channel
Subscriber
...but went out with a whisper...

earlier this week the last commercial (paying PAX) flight of the B727 occurred.

it has been years since I flew on one (~y2K iirc) from CMH-->LGA on delta but always liked that aircraft. with its clean wing it was capable of some serious moves...very high AOA on take off, very low minimums for landing - I had read years ago that during testing they got a full energy stop in <1000ft and full power unladen take offs around 2200ft. It was the only large jet approved for YEARS to use EYW in key west.

From the inside, the frame sections were the same 707/727/737/757 but it was hindered by what made it exceptional - the #2 motor....while 1-3 could be replaced with quieter more powerful engines, #2 could not. In fact it took some serious slide rule engineering to modify the #2 duct to now stall the airflow as is...

compared to more modern boeing equipment, the 727 cockpit resembled a steam plant, but EVERY pilot loved them.

Years ago, I saw a 727 leave out of _Republic_ on Long Island. I didn't know they could go there. Apparently, it was a rare enough event that the cops didn't bother with all the traffic on the perimeter road stopped to watch (They were watching too!)

y

Back
Top Bottom