iTunes and AppleTV as a Quality Music Server

So this evening I updated my iTunes, Touch, and ATV software. I then downloaded the Remote app, disconnected my LAN connection from my ATV and synced my Touch with the ATV. That remote software is beyond cool. :yes: Then I turned off my TV and just used the Touch to control my ATV. What a piece of cake, it works really well. But NN is right, my 2G Touch really drains the battery fast when in wifi mode. After my kids go to bed I'll move the ATV into my den and connect it to my stereo system. So far no issues at all streaming audio or video to my ATV. :thmbsp:

Duffinator,

How is your network set-up. I am getting dropouts with my Airport Express using AirTunes and remote app has some hick-ups.

My Network set-up:

Cable modem ---> Linksys WRT54G (G wireless router) --->Airport Extreme (via Ethernet) ---> Airport Express (via "connect to network "- N)

Duffinator,

How is your network set-up. I am getting dropouts with my Airport Express using AirTunes and remote app has some hick-ups.

My Network set-up:

Cable modem ---> Linksys WRT54G (G wireless router) --->Airport Extreme (via Ethernet) ---> Airport Express (via "connect to network "- N)
You may have something like a 2.4GHz phone causing interference. I have not issue with my iTouch dropping a signal.

The remote app is one of my favorites. :thmbsp:

Duffinator,

My Network set-up:

I didn't move my system into my den last night as I was having problems with my ATV. It kept rebooting. It may have been dropping the wifi connection or something to do with the software update I installed last night. I could not find any issues with the latest software update on macrumors.com. Tonight I'll reinstall my LAN connection to see if that solves the problem or not. The ATV was showing a four or five bar signal so I don't think it's the wifi but I want to make sure. I may need to move my wifi out from under my desk and behind my computer for better reception. I have 6.0 cordless phones so that shouldn't be an issue. Here's my setup:

DSL ---> D-Link Extreme wireless N wireless router --->ATV either wifi or ethernet ---> connected to Denon AVR 3805 and Panasonic 58" Plasma

I had no issues with the Remote although when I went into my den where my steroe is located (with the ATV in my family room on the other side of my house) the remote did lose it's connection. I posted this question on Macrumors but I'll ask it here: when using my Touch as a Remote for my ATV is the remote communicating with my ATV or wifi router? The Remote app is the coolest. :yes:

BTW, anyone thinking of using an ATV check for refurbished units on Apple's website for a nice discount and one year warranty. And of course CL and there's a 160 gb ATV on the SF CL as of yesterday.

Duffinator,

My Network set-up:

Why don't you try making your network all wireless? Eliminate the Ethernet connection from the Linksys to the Airport Extreme. If you are mixing N and G signals you may be having a problem... I believe N falls back to G speed anyway if there is any G component on the network. G is plenty fast enough for just about everything, anyway (IMO).

My four web cams and two iPhones are not N. I set them to use the Linksys wireless router. My two Macbooks are N on Airport Extreme.

Remote app. connects to WiFi network.

ATV is cheaper on Ebay with MSN Live discount.

Get a sonos you can still use your iphone as the remote however you also get: pandora, rhapsody, napster, hd radio, satellite radio, full itunes support, control off your computer, every radio staion in any country in any city in the world.

My four web cams and two iPhones are not N. I set them to use the Linksys wireless router. My two Macbooks are N on Airport Extreme.

Remote app. connects to WiFi network.

ATV is cheaper on Ebay with MSN Live discount.

I think you should try disconnecting your ethernet link and run everything on Wireless G. If you're using your iPhone (G) with the remote app to control your Macbook (N), you're degrading EVERYTHING to G speed anyway (I think). I have an older Macbook that only has wireless G. I don't notice one iota of difference when I turn off AirPort and plug into the ethernet cable right out of my cable modem. Even for streaming video. I'm guessing that the dropouts you're experiencing may be due to the G / N incompatibility and the mix of wired/wireless G/wireless N. I'm no expert, but I think it's worth a try.

Houston We Have a Problem

So it appears I need to manually connect my Touch to my ATV every time my whole system is turned off. If I just power down the ATV the Touch will connect to it with no additional work. But if I power off my PC and start the system fresh again I need to connect the Touch with my PC and ATV. That doesn't seem right so maybe I need to do further research.

I've always been prepared to have a small LCD TV in the system but if the Touch would work flawlessly each time I would omit it. You need to see the GUI in order to reconnect the Touch, no way of getting around that. So now maybe I'll go with the Airport Express. DJ, what do you use to connect yours with an optical out? Does that pass along the PCM?

Did you check the settings in the Remote app? There is a "stay connected" switch.

I am using Monster Cable mini optical to Toslink from AX to Apogee Mini DAC. Sounds great when it works. This weekend I may set-up my MacBook via Firewire to Apogee Duet straight to my Cary 805 Anniversary amps. Using the Duet to control the levels and processing.

Not sure why you would go with the ATV when the airport express will be just as useful with the iPod Touch? I thought the benefit of ATV over the airport express was the video?
I obviously need to rethink this. I was previously using a Hauppauge Media MVP to stream lossy music and photos to my HT. I purchased it in 2003 way before the ATV was available. It did the job but the interface left a LOT to be desired. When the ATV came out I saw the interface at an Apple store and realized that the ATV would be a big improvement over what I was using. While it has limitations for video (I have downloaded a HD movie and watched it, downloading video is the future but not quite here yet) but is outstanding with your music library and good with photos. I mainly used the MVP and ATV for music.

So as I started thinking about streaming lossless audio the ATV seemed like a natural. And I still think it will work great as long as you are able to use a monitor/TV with the unit. I have an extra TV I can use for the time being to test the system. If I eventually decide to use the ATV I'll buy a nice 22/24" LCD TV.

Did you check the settings in the Remote app? There is a "stay connected" switch.

I am using Monster Cable mini optical to Toslink from AX to Apogee Mini DAC. Sounds great when it works. This weekend I may set-up my MacBook via Firewire to Apogee Duet straight to my Cary 805 Anniversary amps. Using the Duet to control the levels and processing.
Yes. It only drops the connection when I reboot my PC. I can turn off the ATV and reboot it and the remote connects instantly. In order to control the ATV it needs to be recognized by iTunes and the ATV. More research is needed on this.

So the mini jack is both analog and digital?

If you have Firewire and a Mac, Apogee Duet is hard to beat at $499. Connect that to Pro Powered Monitors like Adam Audio, Focal Solo6 BE or Dynaudio and you'll have a system that will give any Hi-Fi a run for the money.
I checked the Mini and it looks tempting but I'm probably going to order the Cambridge Audio DACMagic.

The Duet is a better choice since it is also bus-powered. Firewire form Mac to Duet and Duet to amp. That's it! You can use Apple's mini remote or Remote app to control volume, tracks, etc.

Buying a new 24" monitor for the UI is a bit over kill don't you think?

I read somewhere that Wadia can not play FLAC.

Does ATV stream music or sends to HD for playback. My Slingbox takes up a lot of bandwidth which makes music streaming with a lot of hick-ups.

I use a Time Capsule and 2 Airport Extreme receivers to fill the house with music for parties or bopping around doing chores. Everytime the microwave is used the music drops out for a few seconds. I would not tolerate this well during serious listening sessions. I have a TT and receiver in my home office near my iMac for the occaisional vinyl rip or just listening.

Last year when I was laid up for 6 weeks from a knee replacement I had that TT & RCVR on a cart so I could spin vinyl and use my HP-1s wherever I was. With a little application called Airfoil I can get anything on my sound card routed to the Airport receivers thereby bypassing iTunes. So know I can stream vinyl. I'm having the other knee done in January and now all I'll need is a HP amp and another Airport box. When my wife isn't available to DJ, I can always use her iPod touch an access iTune.

I would be interested to hear if an Airport Extreme w/ USB DAC combo sounds much better than the optical output.

The Duet is a better choice since it is also bus-powered. Firewire form Mac to Duet and Duet to amp. That's it! You can use Apple's mini remote or Remote app to control volume, tracks, etc.

Buying a new 24" monitor for the UI is a bit over kill don't you think?
Yeah but have you used the UI? It's worth it IMO. Well a new 24" monitor, DAC, and ATV is still less than a Sony SCD5400ES. :D I will see if there are any Airport Express' available on eBay.

So is the DAC in the Duet the same as the Mini? Since you have both can you hear a difference between the two? The ATV and Express only have USB.

Acording to Apogee, both Duet & Mini DAC are based on their pricey ROSETTA 200.

I can't compare the Mini to Duet becuase I bought a Mini DAC without Firewire opt. I can always add it in for $300.

I have a new thought. Check out my post in the iPod forum.

Acording to Apogee, both Duet & Mini DAC are based on their pricey ROSETTA 200.

I can't compare the Mini to Duet becuase I bought a Mini DAC without Firewire opt. I can always add it in for $300.
So the Duet will not work with the Express or ATV right? I do not own a Mac.....yet. My next computer purchase will be a Mac though. :yes:

So it appears I need to manually connect my Touch to my ATV every time my whole system is turned off. If I just power down the ATV the Touch will connect to it with no additional work. But if I power off my PC and start the system fresh again I need to connect the Touch with my PC and ATV. That doesn't seem right so maybe I need to do further research.
This evening I turned everything on and the Touch worked perfectly without having to connect it to the ATV. Hmmm. Anyway I'm now ready to move it into my den with my stereo and give it a go.

What's the best way to rip my CD into ALAC using EAC? I'm missing the middle software below.

CD--->EAC--->???--->ALAC

Back
Top Bottom