itunes is STILL a POS

Hope this helps:
I just recently bought a 120 gig Classic. I've never used iTunes. All my music is in an external drive, mostly as FLAC, but some MP3's as well. Over the years I've used various programs to tag, catagorize, and download cover art for my music. Now, when I started using iTunes I had all sorts of trouble just pointing it to the proper folder on the proper drive. It seemed iTunes only wanted to look at the iTunes folder and import everything into there. I also had the dreaded double-song phenomena most people are having. I spent 3 frackin' days just trying to figure this software out. It *should* be easier!!!

Well, it was easier. It was all my fault. iTunes really is a great music organizer.......ONLY after you understand it. Here's the deal. Your entire music catalog HAS TO BE TAGGED EXACTLY AND PROPERLY. Yeah, I thought mine was tagged properly. I spent countless days and months using other software to do just that for me. The problem was that all that other software actually created duplicate files, tagged wrong ( ex. When Dream and Day Unite is NOT the same as When Dream And Day Unite ). Any misspelling of letters, spaces, symbols will cause iTunes to show a new folder for just that one song over the rest in the album. This was very frustrating. Well, knowing that my music was all tagged wrong in some form or fashion I decided to just start fresh. I made a second folder on my external drive and labled it "iPod music". Here I put only the CD's that I actually want on my iPod - ie, only the music I want iTunes to see. I then, in iTunes, slected to not import, tag, or manage my music, or to auto-organize it. I then selected the new iPod Music folder for my iTunes. Itunes now imports and shows all the music in that folder - and it showed a LOT of double files. I manually looked at every folder in my new iPod music folder and guess what I found? Yep, double, even triple entries. But I also found that some artist names were misspelled, as were some songs. All these created double entries in iTunes because iTunes treated them as a unique artist. I can only guess that these were created long ago by some other programs I used for tagging, etc.

Now, iTunes is great in that you can manually correct EVERYTHING you need to for your music right from the iTunes window. I selected "album list" view. I then hilighted every song in that CD and right clicked and selected "get info", then just re-typed the artist name and the name of the CD. BOOM! iTunes retagged the whole CD correctly. I selected "Get artwork" and BOOM! iTunes tagged it with cover art. Whatever CD's it could not get cover art for I could easily copy/paste into the "cover" box in the "Get info" section. Easy! I also had to manually delete all double songs directly from within my iPod music folder. All this took me 4 days to do, but it was a one time deal. You just have to be very organized with your music collection. iTunes really is pretty easy to use. Just remember, it's a dumb program, meaning it doesn't know the difference in double songs, double artists, etc unless YOU tell it so. It only shows you EXACTLY what's in your folders - misspellings and all. My eyes, at a glance, could not find a lot of things like capital letters or non capital letters, missing or extra spaces. But once I saw them in the "album list" view in iTunes it all became alot clearer.

Now when I use Cover Flow in my iPod every cd is displayed with correct album art and the correct number of songs - no more double albums with 2 songs on one and the remaining on another. It's all perfect now. Just make sure to check EVERYTHING.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Last edited:
I've been using a Sansa MP3 player with Rhapsody everyday for 4 years now and have not had problem one with it. I highly recommend it to anyone who's fed up with i-tunes. I've talked a couple of friends into trying Rhapsody and a Sansa after being long time i-tunes users and everyone who has tried it says they will never go back.

I have a dedicated -- but old -- 600Mhz iMac G3 running OS 10.3.9 with the latest version of iTunes for that operating system.

Seems fine, but I am meticulous and started with a clean setup: there's nothing on the computer but the operating system.

I used iTunes for about 5 mintues when I got my 30gig 5th gen iPod home only to find out how much I was going to like/use the thing. I HATED it. Actually, what I hated more than iTunes was the iPod OS. Like...I like viewing my music collection like I would CD's...everything alphabetized and I just pick the album I want...I was never in to this crap of needing a database and picking genres or artists or junk...that was wayyy more than I was used to listening to my music and I found that if any of my tags were off by even a little bit, I'd have multiple entries. I ditched both entirely. iTunes was a bloated piece of software that tried to wedge it's way into everything I did on the computer (because it thought it was what I wanted when in reality, it was the exact opposite), and...i REALLY hated the iPod OS...I just...do...still...to this day. I'll never own an iPhone becuase I hate the OS. Everyone claims it's "sooo easy to use", yeah, well, I like complex things...just like Einstein couldn't tie his shoes because the task was "too simple", I can't use anything designed by apple because it's too intuitive and doesn't match the way my brain works.

What I wound up doing is what I originally bought the iPod for....I put Rockbox on it. Rockbox had it's own DB mode if you wanted to use it..but it had the file-browser...the thing I was used to using on a player. This is in addition to the fact it supported a LOT more than the ipod OS and the only music I really had to transcode was FLAC, becuase FLAC was too large to carry around. Rockbox was confusing to a lot of people, but i LOVED it...and even after trying a few chinese players that support most of the same formats, I keep finding myself wanting to go back to the iPod with Rockbox. One of these days I'll jump on ebay and get the 80gig 5.5gen iPod (rockbox doesn't work on the classics or any of the new players, at all).

perhaps useful free software...

Google this: MarkelSoft Dupe Eliminator for iTunes. It saved me from shooting in the house.

Good luck!

I am well below average as a computer geek but I can recognize intuitive software when I see it (itunes ain't). So here is a program to try that eliminates duplicates but remember what the neurosurgeons credo is: "first, do no damage", so use with care, but it solved some dupe problems for me as I have only been using ipod/itunes on a PC for about a year and still find it daunting. Here's the link: itlu.ownz.ch
It's free, and so far has worked correctly for me- DO read the (only six pages long) user manual before unleashing it though. (Anything I don't understand, I don't mess with and that has saved me a lot of grief), however when software screws up on its own I want to do all the bad things mentioned in previous posts.:thmbsp:

I see I am not the only person frustrated by this. Where do you find the "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library" and the "keep itunes music folder organized" boxes to uncheck? I've looked everywhere. #&**##@#X#!

After buying this stupid thing I find that it is not like a hard drive where you can just add and remove files like you can with an MP3 player. (Or do I not understand how to use it?) I think it's all about keeping you hooked into their rip off itunes store? I will never buy anything from it!

I see I am not the only person frustrated by this. Where do you find the "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library" and the "keep itunes music folder organized" boxes to uncheck? I've looked everywhere. #&**##@#X#!

After buying this stupid thing I find that it is not like a hard drive where you can just add and remove files like you can with an MP3 player. (Or do I not understand how to use it?) I think it's all about keeping you hooked into their rip off itunes store? I will never buy anything from it!

You might like this post better: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242831

Back
Top Bottom