I've gone down the rabbit hole

Roadrash

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It all started about a year ago. I was happy listening to my Altec Lansing 315s being driven with an Onkyo A5, being fed by an Onkyo C 7030 cd player. The Altecs needed the woofer surrounds redone, so I had them done and the crossovers and other drivers checked out. Upon getting them back I told my wife that I would like to see how they sounded with some more juice behind them. Thus started the search for a little more serious amp, which led me to a Harman Kardon Citation 22, and while researching that amp led me here.(see where this is going?) Well then I needed a preamp, and I found a local repair shop that also sold used gear. Along came an Onkyo P306RS with a 90 day warranty and a local source for equipment. I put together a pretty nice little system for the living room, signed up for AK and started seeing all the nice vintage stuff you guys have. Then my mom told me I could come get the Allison Twos from her house if I brought the Sonabs back for her to listen to.
After getting the Allisons refoamed and checked out I took the Sonabs home, leaving me needing a pair of smaller speakers for the party hut. Enter a pair of B&W CDM1s from the local Craigslist. Wonderful speakers but the SX-750 I was drving the Sonabs with didn't have enough juice for the CDM1s. Time to get the A5 back out. Now I need a tuner because we listen to FM out there a fair amount. Oh look at that pretty little Marantz 104 on ebay.
Everythings all pretty good. The Allisons sound good with the 22, and the party hut rocks. BUT NOOOO! The gentleman I bought the P306RS from has an ad on Craigslist stating that he's retiring and cleaning house. Oh my god he's got a picture of a Citation 16 in with the gear he's selling. Needless to say I bought it. While i was there I told him that the big 16 was one of three amps that I really wanted to pair with the Allisons. He asked what the others were, and when I mentioned Kenwood L -07Ms he said how about some L-09s. I told him that was probably too rich for my blood, and he threw out a very fair price.
I got the big 16 home and it didn't really pair well with the P306RS. Oh look at that Kenwood C2 on ebay dirt cheap. Much better with the 16. The P306RS and Citation 22 went out to the party hut with the B&Ws, holy crap do those little bookshelves like power. Here it is a month or so later and I'm surfing Craigslist, and damn me if those L-09s aren't still listed. I just made a deal to buy those because, well why the hell not. He's the original owner and they're perfect. They should be in my possession in a couple of days, and I can't wait to hear them with the Allisons. He's throwing in an L-07C that needs attention too. Then there's the Audioquest interconnects I've bought, and the Neotech bananas for the speaker wires. OH MY GOD WHERE DOES IT STOP!?!?
Hi. My name is Dee Jones and I'm an audioholic.

Last edited:
"OH MY GOD WHERE DOES IT STOP!?!?"
Pretty sure it will stop with those Allison Two's, at least where the speakers are concerned. I've got a pair that I use this time of year. Really great with vocals and accoustic instruments..

"OH MY GOD WHERE DOES IT STOP!?!?"
Pretty sure it will stop with those Allison Two's, at least where the speakers are concerned. I've got a pair that I use this time of year. Really great with vocals and accoustic instruments..
Those have been in the family since dad bought them new in '79, and they'll go to one of my kids someday. Dad bought the A5 new also,and I think I'm going to put a little something together for my grandson around that.

PS
I think the Allisons do everything well, from Classical to EDM.

Wife is cool as hell and indulges me like a little kid, plus we kept our money separate when we got married. She pays her bills and I pay mine, and as long as the bills are paid we mind our own business about how money is spent(she's addicted to dooney burke purses). As an added bonus she loves music, so I don't have to worry about her.

(she's addicted to dooney burke purses).

My wife doesnt say anything either as long as I buy her a new purse when i buy new gear, and my wife has a shit load of designer purses now. Luckily i have so much stuff she doesnt notice the new stuff if i can get rid of the boxes before she sees them :) she hasnt said anything about the model 9's i just got yet but i think i may have to upgrade her car this time

OH MY GOD WHERE DOES IT STOP!?!?

It doesn't. Actual conversation:
me: "By the way, I'm driving to Ohio tomorrow."
spouse: "Oh?"
me: "To buy a preamp from a guy I've never met who says he needs to sell it to fund Lamborghini repairs."
spouse: "How much?"
me: "Only $3000."
spouse: "Well, call me if he turns out to be a nut and steals your money."
me: "Love you."

It stops when you hit synergy. When the pairing sounds good enough to surprise you on a regular basis :)

You are in the discovery phase. It can last a long time :D

You'll get there. When we can't predict ...

Im not qualified to answer that question

It’s essy to get swept into. In my head I have the “vision” of how I want my system to sound. I think I’m close.

I’m continually downsizing as I’ll be a man without a country soon so unfortunately tubes are out. I would like to play with them sometime though.

HI DEE (you audio) HO. Welcome to the world of never-ending doubts and inferiority complexes if you think you don't have all the audio stuff that perfectly plays dog whistles you can hear and the sub-sonic bass that accompanied the big bang. Identifying the problem is NOT the road to cure. It only ensures that you will never stop AND can not talk to anyone normal about it. So, welcome home, welcome home.

It stops when you hit synergy. When the pairing sounds good enough to surprise you on a regular basis :)

You are in the discovery phase. It can last a long time :D

You'll get there. When we can't predict ...
I'm pretty much there with my main rig now. But how do you pass up a pair of one owner L 09Ms for just a smidge over L 07 money? How many of you guys would if you were in the same position? LOL! I can't wait to get them home!

Back
Top Bottom