James Bongiorno Rest In Peace

DEAFASABAT

We lost one of the greatest today, James passing away here on the Central Coast of California.

The girlfriend of a close of friend of mine was his personal medical caregiver, and now we are all very sad about his departure.

This is the abolute truth: James had spent the past several weeks setting up and tweaking a top end system. I am not sure if this was for a friend or for a customer (Perhaps both?)

I told my buddy that is exactly what he lived for. We can have some feeling of joy, knowing that James had gone out 100% being James.

May God rest you easy, Mr.B

RIP James. I knew him well since I worked in audio back in the 70's. Partied with him many times.

Loved his GAS gear the most.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I knew of him well through a few mutual friends. Seemed like a true audio lover and a real character. My favorite kind of person.

I built an audio oscillator he wrote up in the early 70s. Loved all the gear he touched, too.

I do hope he'll be buried much like he dressed - outlandish yet stylish!

A good gone from our midst.

Cheers,

David

We need to have a picture of the man himself in this thread:

JimB.jpg

And an overview of what he achieved:

Hadley Laboratories 622C Power Amplifier, contributing engineer

Marantz Model 15 Power Amplifier, contributing engineer

Dynaco Stereo 400 Power Amplifier, Designer

Dynaco AF-6 AM/FM Tuner, contributing engineer

SAE (Scientific Audio Engineering)

XXXIB Power Amplifier, Designer

IIIC/CM Power Amplifier, Designer

IVD/DM Power Amplfier, Designer

VIB Stereo Tuner, contributing engineer

IC Stereo Preamplifier, contributing engineer

The following products continued to use my circuit topology:

2200, 2300, 2400, 2500, 2600, “A” series, “X” series

GAS (The Great American Sound Co.) Chief Designer

Ampzilla Power Amplifier

Ampzilla II (World’s first servo-controlled power amplifier)

Thaedra Preamplifier (World’s first (and only) servo controlled preamp

Thoebe Preamplifier

Son of Ampzilla Power Amplifier

Thalia Preamplifier

Grandson Power Amplfier

Sleeping Beauty Moving Coil Cartrdges

Sumo Electric Co. Ltd. Chief Designer

The Power, World’s first 450 watt/channel fully balanced Bridge Power Amp

The Gold, World’s first patented solid state Class A Power Amplifier

The Nine, World’s first low cost solid state class A power amplifier

The Nine+, Ruggedized version

Electra Preamplifier

“Charlie” the Tuner, world’s first premium low cost stereo tuner

The Half-power, stereo power amplifier

Andromeda, world’s first low cost solid state class AB Balanced Power Amp

The Sumo I, Magnetic Phono Cartridge

The Sumo II, Moving coil Phono Cartridge

Harmon-Kardon, Consultant, Completely redesigned the Citation 23 Tuner

Crown Radio, Japan, 4 luxurious Power amps, 2 Luxuious Preamps, a fully

Equalized (phase & amplitude) 3-way electronic crossover.

Spread Spectrum Technologies Inc.. Chief Designer

Ampzilla 2000, fully balanced monobloc power amplifier

Trinaural Processor

Brian and less than a month later James. A sad day indeed. We spoke several weeks ago and I knew then his health was really bad. He was confined to a wheel chair. Still he was James, with all the color. I wonder what will become of his company Spread Spectrum Technologies?

That's the OVERVIEW? ! ? !!! Wow! I'd feel accomplished having done Any TWO of those designs. I'd say R.I.P but something makes me think he'd rather have it good and loud. That's a legacy. Much respect !!!

RIP Jim, and thanks for literally pushing DIY into superamp territory along with Dynaco and Marshall Leach.

Glad to have two Sumo products (the Sumo Samson subwoofer and the Delilah electronic crossover) in the stable, have considered adding some of the Sumo Preamps too.

His last name literally means "Good day" or "Good morning" in Italian. Very appropriate for a positive and creative person.

RIP James Bongiorno

According to a thread on the Lansing Heritage site, amp designer/engineer extraordinaire James Bongiorno is no longer with us. Sad news if it is true, but a brief search didn't give any confirmation.

Last edited:
I still have a Thalia Preamplifier. Turning the nobs, one can feel an attention to detail of a a person who loved audio and it still sounds rather well by todays standards.

He was also quite the dresser. I recall photos of him in green velvet 'dicso' outfits. I just had to smirk, had to love him. We will not see the likes of him for a long time.

RIP

I'm quite sure that he will be dressed to the "Nine point nine ninety-nines"! Don't know yet there are to be any local services. I hope there will.

Back
Top Bottom