Japanese voltage Sansui using step down transformer, will it hinder the performance?

I use Sanyo Step Down Transformers (5 years) since I started using 100V equipment. Some of the Sansui equipment offers 100, 110, or 117 volt options on the transformers. I decided to wire them for 100V and use a step down Transformer for exact voltage. At first I used a big 2K off brand TF (Ugly & very loud) Then I heard about Sanyo's line. I use the TSD-N15LU with protection and capacity indicator. I run 2 diff systems. #1 powers an AU-111G & A717D CD Player (uses 2 amps per Killa Watt Meter) 2nd unit powers a pair of HF-V60 Mono Blocks, CA-303 Pre Amp & A717-DR CD Player. The Sanyo's look great (WAF) Especially If you have a nice front room system. They are also very quiet. My systems sound great. Not sure I have ever heard any bad press about using a SDT.

Attachments

• marketenterprise_2006-img600x450-14863822225j7pcr22412.jpg
    marketenterprise_2006-img600x450-14863822225j7pcr22412.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31
ACCUPHASE , well known manufacturer , started , as kensonic labs, were a few dissapointed sansui sound engineers that were very sad with the cost cuts on the ba3k ba5k ca3k and the never built ca5k.
So they started kensonic labs. They even produced the devices sansui had hold back , at the time . such as a apair of mono's 120's , that were 240 wrms per channel , the accompanying pre amp and separate phono , yes separate phono back then. The monoblocks were 250wrms /8 ohms , 400/4ohms. I only found out a couple of years ago when they First showed up on my friends lab , accuphase serviceman , here in GREECE , for service. After 50 years, some switches went noisy. they are the ones with the one big level meter on the left hand corner. These are pure sansui amps that were never produced because they were ugly.
Also B2301L was a amp they produced as accuphase P800, putting out 400wrms/8ohms per channel, 800wrms/4ohms per channel. Sansui had it deranged at 300wrms/8ohms 550wrms/4ohms per channel. A-x balanced circuit was a old design that could not be implemented due to lack of parts like transistors and diodes. to be continued. ...

Hi John,

Everything that I've read points towards former Kenwood engineer Jiro Kasuga as being the founder of Accuphase (after first branching off into Kensonic). Are you certain of the relationship to Sansui?

You may think that you are just adding one more component in between the wall and your Sansui.

~edit~

Is there a chance that a good quality toroidal isolated transformer could provide a smoother quieter feed of electricity? The earth ground is removed from the power circuit as well? It's one for electrical engineers and those with better experience than myself.

That being said I use a 1000W isolated step down in Thailand from 230V to 100V. My signal is silky smooth. Also the step-down being "isolated" removes any risk of electrical surge damage. That's what I believe.

The step down also includes fuses, another level of protection. But at a cost I don't know!

Hi John,

Everything that I've read points towards former Kenwood engineer Jiro Kasuga as being the founder of Accuphase (after first branching off into Kensonic). Are you certain of the relationship to Sansui?

Hey Pete, Hi. I can't be certain , since the person that told me this story is not with us anymore.He died of lung cancer some 5 years later I think. He was isao suginami I think. A sansui engineer that I met when he visited all SANSUI service centers , including the one here in Greece, back 1991. When I bought my beloved AU-X911 DG. We had some really nice sessions with Wine, music , system set up , and some great endless conversations. This old gentleman was very disappointed he could take part in accuphase beginning , as he said.
He told me the story , well what he knew , and how he felt about the whole thing.
So I can not say I'm certain. But some situations do have a lot going on in the back stage. Right?

Back
Top Bottom