Jazz Fusion Playlist

Tony Williams - 1972 - Lifetime The Collection
Williams - drums
Holdsworth - guitars
Pasqua - Keys
Newton - Bass
View attachment 1384525

That's THE album ! ("Believe It" with "Million Dollar Legs" together) !

Plus, there is the Believe It 2004 re-issue with 2 bonus trax - Celebration & Letsby.

Just got the 2017 newly released album on cd - "The New Tony Williams Lifetime featuring Allan Holdsworth - Live at the Village Gate".

Haven't played it yet, reviews say audio is extremely poor, but performance great; it's for us diehards.

Trax are - Intro, Mr Spock, Proto-Cosmos, Fred, Wildlife and Red Alert. Think I have a master copy of this on reel in storage, but had to get the cd.
It was 1975, broadcast also on NYC radio WRVR fm live as it was taping. Funny this record label is Hi Hat records, as said many times before "Believe It" likely has the best recorded hi hats ever captured in studio - "Fred" (& other songs) is smoothly relaxed yet burns away !
:beerchug:

That's THE album ! ("Believe It" with "Million Dollar Legs" together) !

Plus, there is the Believe It 2004 re-issue with 2 bonus trax - Celebration & Letsby.

Just got the 2017 newly released album on cd - "The New Tony Williams Lifetime featuring Allan Holdsworth - Live at the Village Gate".

Haven't played it yet, reviews say audio is extremely poor, but performance great; it's for us diehards.

Trax are - Intro, Mr Spock, Proto-Cosmos, Fred, Wildlife and Red Alert. Think I have a master copy of this on reel in storage, but had to get the cd.
It was 1975, broadcast also on NYC radio WRVR fm live as it was taping. Funny this record label is Hi Hat records, as said many times before "Believe It" likely has the best recorded hi hats ever captured in studio - "Fred" (& other songs) is smoothly relaxed yet burns away !

The grooves on "Believe It!" are awesome; loose yet perfectly executed. I love Tony's sound in that context, as much as in his straight ahead ventures with Miles and HH.

I'm not sure "Million Dollar Legs" measures up to "Believe It!" (IMHO), but it has been quite awhile; I'll have to listen to them both again.

GJ

I saw Bill at clinics twice here in Toronto also with Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe, with King Crimson and met him and had a good chat at the El Mocambo in Toronto when he played with Patrick Moraz > Music for Drums & Piano.

That ABWH tour was sensational, recall Levin played bass (on lp too) in New Jersey leg, nite I saw them or full tour. Bruford's uncanny syncopation was nicely exhibited with his Simmons + acoustic set soloing. That year I gave out cassettes of the s/t'd album as Christmas presents ! Just had to share great music. "The Meeting" was actually played during my wedding ceremony (priest approved it) & years later found out a close pastor friend in UK also had it played at his wedding too !!! Small world & about 5 years ago the artist doing Anderson album covers told Jon about the 2 weddings with his (JA/RW) song The Meeting played. Maybe there were more also !?!

CB, King Crimson LTIA tour must've been really something ! Please tell us did they play anything from (in the works) Red (drooling here) or SABB albums that nite ?

Last edited:
The grooves on "Believe It!" are awesome; loose yet perfectly executed. I love Tony's sound in that context, as much as in his straight ahead ventures with Miles and HH.

I'm not sure "Million Dollar Legs" measures up to "Believe It!" (IMHO), but it has been quite awhile; I'll have to listen to them both again.

GJ

Right On !!!

Can't have enuff copies of Believe It.

Same with Stanley Clarke's (2nd) s/t album, there's never enuff "Brown Album", but enuff to go around & keep spinnin' for us all.
:beerchug::beerchug:

Always great stuff posted here, like recent Passport especially Cross-Collateral, JL Ponty albums & immortal MO Birds Of Fire.
Montrecott that one is worthy of a hearty NY's eve nightcap !:D

MJB1959, How is that School of the Arts album ?, great line-up on that one.

Dug up the best audio upload on this one to share with everyone for all to enjoy listening !

Al Di Meola - Suite: Golden Dawn-Morning Fire/Calmer of the Tempests/From Ocean to the Clouds (9:49), off Land of the Midnight Sun 1st solo album 1976, luv it, classic work.

Al Di Meola-gtr, Barry Miles-keys, Jaco Pastorius-bass, and late Alphonse Mouzon-drm on this track.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited:
CB, King Crimson LTIA tour must've been really something ! Please tell us did they play anything from (in the works) Red (drooling here) or SABB albums that nite ?

They played Fracture and Starless from SBB and 21st Century Schizoid Man like USA along with some long spacey improv jams. I saw the Larks tour twice in '73 and then the Starless tour in '74. I had tickets to see them when Red was released but Fripp broke up the band before they made to Chicago, it was a bummer missing that show. I refunded my tickets for $6.50 each and I wish I would have kept them.

Sensational shows Bob. There must be many thick binders holding your ticket stubs ! What a great era to see KC.

Towards his end John Wetton played sometimes with District 97, a notable young prog/fusion band, as he wanted to pass the torch and usher in the youth toward great prog & fusion. JW was able to blend those 2 genres as such in UK, and other stuff he did so well.

Really dug the 1st 2 of 3 periods Bruford was in KC ('72-74 and '81-84), but the earlier albums were super also. The KC fan club is so active lately there are many live & collectors recordings issued with even more boots out there. Too many to follow, but can appreciate those that keep up with it !

Cheers brother !

Have you guys had a listen to Bruford - Absolute Elsewhere - In Search Of Ancient Gods
or John Wetton - Battle Lines?

Yes, fusion can have vocals & fine instrumentation to match. Here again

Another Gino Vannelli fan here, Brother to Brother and Nightwalker remain my favorites, as well as Gist and Pauper, he really found the great musicians to play with him along the way didn't he?? Love it!!

Always great stuff posted here, like recent Passport especially Cross-Collateral, JL Ponty albums & immortal MO Birds Of Fire.
Montrecott that one is worthy of a hearty NY's eve nightcap !:D

MJB1959, How is that School of the Arts album ?, great line-up on that one.

It exceeded my expectations given the broad scope of musical talent that was involved, but the end results are pretty decent, these all star things are not always as good as the intentions of the gathering.

NP - Lalle Larsson's Weaveworld - 2012 - Nightscapes

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Lalle Larsson, he is an incredibly talented keyboardist from Sweden, his musical offerings are equal amounts of fusion and progressive rock, he has preformed with so many great talents, and this is among his most brilliant stuff yet, the Weaveworld cds are all pretty darn good, featured musicians are:
Lalle Larsson - keyboards
Richard Hallebeek - Guitars
Jonas Reingold - Basses
Stefan Rosquist - Guitar
Walle Wahlgren - Drums
01-04.jpg

R-7481368-1442353166-3991.jpeg.jpg

Another Gino Vannelli fan here, Brother to Brother and Nightwalker remain my favorites, as well as Gist and Pauper, he really found the great musicians to play with him along the way didn't he?? Love it!!

Those were the best albums & if we add in Storm at Sunup (my fave 5 GV lps) we covered his 1975 to 1981 era, his best works.

Gino anecdote here (aside from infamous basketball Boston Celtics "Gino Dance")...

Never saw GV live, but my friend saw GV at the Spectrum in Philly when it was there years back. It was a large venue arena seating about 17,000. So, my buddy has super seats all the way upfront & Gino with the band is performing great. During a quiet introspective song with pauses, Gino has the place dead-silent in a reflective moment pause in the song & my buddy (rockers that we are) stands up and in his loud deep voice yells out "Mama Coco" (great GV song). So close to stage, Gino looks over at him & simply smiles with a big grin; later he did play the song likely as part of his setlist. My friend may have been in the doghouse on that one, as his wife said she just put her head down embarrassingly. We asked him later why did he yell out, & especially when you could hear a pin drop then; he said he got taken by the moment !

The music industry has such "colorful" stories happening weekly; long awaited book by Brian Chatton "Rolling with Rock Royalty" is said to be amusing for that reason from those who got to pre-read it, since release is upcoming. Can't wait to read what he writes of !

Back
Top Bottom