JBL 2213 vs L-123a

brnt99

A while ago I picked up a pair of JBL 4311 monitors.Each of the woofers --2213--has a tear in their cone.I am thinking of buying some replacements on Ebay. I have read that the JBL L-100 (which use the 123a woofer) are the same as the 4311.Are the 2213 and the 123a exactly the same or are there differences?
Thanks--Brent

According to the spec sheet I read somewhere on the web, they spec the same. I have a pair of 2213's in my L100's.
I have one extra 2213 I will sell for $60 and postage. It has been reconed and is in excellent condition.

The 2213 and 123A are very close (not quite identical) in acoustic performance. One of them (I think, from memory, it's the 2213) has a slightly longer voice coil winding, to mate with the different magnet assembly (2213 has a ceramic magnet, while 123A has an alnico magnet). That's about it, as far as significant differences are concerned... other mechanical differences include a larger outside-diameter spider on the 2213 (about 6.5" across as opposed to about 5.75" across on the 123A).

If replaced in pairs, these can easily be used "interchangably". I wouldn't use one each of each type in a pair of speakers (ie, a 123A in one side and a 2213 in the other), but as long as both are the same in a pair of speakers, the same crossovers and cabinet will give pretty much the same acoustic results, plus or minus a very small margin...

Regards,
Gordon.

My experiences with this type of speaker is that they all sound similar. Generally very smooth over the high end and strong bass (overly so, but it beats wimpy bass if you are going to listen to something with kick and bass guitar). They all distort a pretty fair amount. Not the cleanest sounding speakers when compared with more accurate stuff. Not at all picky about amps.

Back
Top Bottom