JBL 4311 missing bolt and nut for 2213

Allan Shook

4311 bolt and nut.jpg
So, I'm re-capping a pair of JBL 4311's, and I'm taking out one of the 2213 woofers, and it's missing one of the bolts! It doesn't even have the spiked nut on the inside of the cabinet. I thought it might have fallen somewhere on the inside, nowhere to be found. The picture is from the other cabinet, this one was loose on the inside and my wife had to stick her arm in the cabinet to hold on to it while I unscrewed the bolt.
Where do you think I could find a replacement for one of these?
It must have been like this from the factory. They have been unused and un-touched for the past 30 years, and are almost completely stock. They show no signs of ever being worked on.

You can buy T-nuts at any hardware store. Those exact screws (fillister head Philips) are harder to find, but they do show up on eBay, albeit often at obscene prices.

Last edited:
Zonker is correct about the T-nut availability. Take one of the original screws with you to the store.
A hex socket head screw might be the closest sub for the original.
-DAAB-

Zonker is correct about the T-nut availability. Take one of the original screws with you to the store.
A hex socket head screw might be the closest sub for the original.
-DAAB-
Thanks for the tip! I found new 10-24 T-nuts that fit (the originals were 10-32), and I found stainless steel 10-24 hex socket bolts, so I replaced all 8. It nice having the hex bolts instead of the Phillips, because if I ever open them up again I don't have to apply any downward force to the hex bolts like I would have to with the Phillips screws, which might back off the T-nuts.

And I have heard of the (not so) rare scenario where the Phillips screw driver tip slips off of the screw head and vents the speaker.

And I have heard of the (not so) rare scenario where the Phillips screw driver tip slips off of the screw head and vents the speaker.

Oddly, while not intended for the purpose, a JIS driver is less likely to do that on both a Philips screw and a JIS screw. So while most people in the US don't even know what JIS is, I love my JIS bits.

McMaster has Fillister head screws. Can't tell from the pic what type of head (slotted, phillips) you need.

Thanks for the tip! I found new 10-24 T-nuts that fit (the originals were 10-32), and I found stainless steel 10-24 hex socket bolts, so I replaced all 8. It nice having the hex bolts instead of the Phillips, because if I ever open them up again I don't have to apply any downward force to the hex bolts like I would have to with the Phillips screws, which might back off the T-nuts.

And if the socket is deep enough the fastener will stay on the allen wrench until clear of the work.
Good to hear that it worked for you.

When I worked at a JBL Pro certified shop, I always cupped one hand around a screwdriver, between the tool and the speaker when tightening or loosening a fastener.

I had some beryllium alloy screwdrivers and small hand wrenches, non-magnetic because some drivers have so much magnetic flux they could pull a tool out of your hand before you knew it and easily mess up the driver.

Back
Top Bottom