JBL 4350's Finally purchased!

Of course, they need work. The speaker covers need to be taken off, correct brackets purchased, crossovers updated, connectors updated, horn lenses purchased, grills built with purchased badges and hardware, as well as any veneer work needed. Still, with the price of L300's reaching unthinkable heights....I think these were the right move.

A 4350 is a lot of speaker, two woofers, a mid woofer, a midhorn and a super tweeter. I'll take a 4355 any time, two woofers and one horn. No unneeded ring radiator, no mid woofer and no 3 way crossover. Much less distortion in all of it drivers a smoother frequency response and less phase distortion. Just look at JBL's latest M2, one woofer one horn and even less distortion and better frequency response. That new technology has allowed us to return to two way speakers. The fewer the drivers the better the staging and and better imaging. I know they are pricey but they are something to consider. $18,000 sounds expensive, but compared to a DD67000, they are relatively cheap.

I would much rather have the 4350s than the 4435s. There is a BIG difference between the 2440 and 2425, and the lower midrange driver provides a "slam" that you don't get with the foam edge 15"s. I lived with 4430s for quite a while and preferred the quasi-L300s that I could A/B/X. And when I had a pair of 2440s on the BIG BUTT CHEEKS, wow!

I no longer use the big cheeks, but now added a 10" JBL to produce that slam, especially noticable on the snare drum.

Then there's the vintage and rarity factors that also add to the value.

The mid on the 4350 does provide some good slam...as my original pair had one that wasn't working. I couldn't believe the size of the 2440 horn, compared to the LE85 that resides in my 4343b's. If you told me 1 1/2 years ago there would be two sets of 4350's and a pair of 4343b's in the stable, I'd have said that you're nuts. :yikes: I did go through all four cabs and was only able to come up with two original baskets for the 15" woofers. I believe they were 2231h. Unfortunately, some got swapped out during recone as these came from the Copper Penny, a nightclub, in Portland, OR

Last edited:
Great find!

The comparisons to the 4435’s are inevitable but having both, if I had to choose between them, it’s the 4350’s for me.

Few will argue that the crossovers in the old 4300 series speakers are as good as it gets. Multi amping and properly set up with a good DSP is a whole new experience with the 4350’s. :D

Have fun and keep sharing.

Barry.

Back
Top Bottom