JBL Decade 36

does the 30hz tone apply to all woofer re-foams? i have a pair of practice speakers i want to try out that i'm pretty much ready to go with, although i have the glue Simply Speakers sent me, not the Aleen's....i might hold off for some of the proper goo.

proper goo is usually fairly important.

Here's a few pics of the L-19 woofers I refoamed for some inspiration!
Surrounds were from Ric Cobb. He included the 30hz test tone cd as well.
Glenn

Great Job as always GD70! Any advice on how to remove the old glue? I'm refoaming a pair of really nice JBL L50's right now,and i've never encountered such old hardend glue. Also,how well does the old adhesive have to be removed? I know its important to remove any old foam but what about old glue. I sometimes spend way too much time trying to remove all the old glue.

Aileen has a LOT of different glues: https://aleenes.com/ lol - do i get a hint on which?

so.....i get my speakers refoamed AND turkey? i'm tempted to accept, but i think i'll hold off and see what's for dessert.
Then you have to drive to Sodus Point. Dessert we go pick apples and then the girls make the pies!

The aleenes is the Tacky Glue, the the 30 hz cd should come with the kit. Loonietunes/ Rick Cobb includes it.

For those who don't know, our Columbus Day is Canadian Thanksgiving. For us border people, Canada is 15 minutes away, and Toronto is 98 miles, we go to each others concerts, hockey/ curling and their wine country all the time, plus I spend a fair amount of time sailing in Canadian waters.

For those who don't know, our Columbus Day is Canadian Thanksgiving. For us border people, Canada is 15 minutes away, and Toronto is 98 miles, we go to each others concerts, hockey/ curling and their wine country all the time, plus I spend a fair amount of time sailing in Canadian waters.
indeed - it is a most agreeable arrangement - although now "the man" says i need a piece of paper (a passport) to visit your country....but it's always a fun time when I do, even when the border guards stop me.

Great Job as always GD70! Any advice on how to remove the old glue? I'm refoaming a pair of really nice JBL L50's right now,and i've never encountered such old hardend glue. Also,how well does the old adhesive have to be removed? I know its important to remove any old foam but what about old glue. I sometimes spend way too much time trying to remove all the old glue.
I've had good results using a knife with a snap-off blade (so you have a sharp edge), and essentially 'shaving' the old foam.

As for the old glue: think about what you're trying to accomplish, which is to get an airtight seal when you're done.

If the glue is not sticking well, scrape it off. If the old glue is fine, then just get it clean, and glue on top of it.

Thanks woof!

When you do them, take your time and the end results will look great!
I see sloppy refoams all the time, basically way too much glue used, and it squeezed out all over the cones. Also, I use Aileens Tacky Glue. I don't like the clear stuff that comes with some of the surrounds. It's stringy and tacks up way too fast for positioning and cleanup.

Glenn

@GD70 do you prefer the Aileen's Tacky Glue over the white glue that comes in the kits from Rick Cobb? The refoam kit for the 116H woofers from my 4301B Control Monitors (same drivers as your L-19 woofers pictured above) just arrived and I'm wondering if I should just use the included glue, or make a quick trip to the craft store for some Aileen's (there is a Micheal's less than 3 miles from my house).

Thanks rs!
To remove MOST of the glue on the underside of the cone, I used a small plastic taping knife and carefully run it along the edge very gently scraping the bulk of the old glue residue off. It's ok if some remains, as long as the surface is smooth for good adhesion of the new surrounds.
Glenn

@GD70 do you prefer the Aileen's Tacky Glue over the white glue that comes in the kits from Rick Cobb? The refoam kit for the 116H woofers from my 4301B Control Monitors (same drivers as your L-19 woofers pictured above) just arrived and I'm wondering if I should just use the included glue, or make a quick trip to the craft store for some Aileen's (there is a Micheal's less than 3 miles from my house).
Either is good. I hate that clear glue that comes with some surround kits though. It tacks up way to fast, with glue strings all over the place, and can get all over your fingers when working the surround to cone while setting up.

Either is good. I hate that clear glue that comes with some surround kits though. It tacks up way to fast, with glue strings all over the place, and can get all over your fingers when working the surround to cone while setting up.

Yeah, I hate that clear goop. What a mess it makes and it sets up way too quickly.

I'm OK with using the clear glue for the inner circumference of the foam, as it sets up and dries fairly quickly, and the centering at this step is visual.

For gluing the outer circumference, I prefer Ailenes Tacky, because it grabs quickly but sets slowly, so there's time to get the cone set into place, but still movable so it can be properly centered with the test tone or battery. Doing it this way, I can complete a driver in one evening instead of two.

so my supplies are starting to arrive - question: when i playback the 30hz tone to align the cone, do i have to reinstall the driver back in the cabinet first?

Go watch some YouTube videos a couple of times until you feel comfortable, especially with the 'test tone/outer rim glueing' phase. You don't want to be refreshing your memory while the glue is setting up. Take the time to clean the old surface well enough that you're not trying to glue to crumbling old foam; the goal is to end up with an airtight seal.

Keep the vent (I think there is one) on the back of the magnet clear while running a test tone; otherwise air pressure can increase inside and blow out the dust cap.

Nope, do it on the bench, facing up.

Go watch some YouTube videos a couple of times until you feel comfortable, especially with the 'test tone/outer rim glueing' phase. You don't want to be refreshing your memory while the glue is setting up. Take the time to clean the old surface well enough that you're not trying to glue to crumbling old foam; the goal is to end up with an airtight seal.

Keep the vent (I think there is one) on the back of the magnet clear while running a test tone; otherwise air pressure can increase inside and blow out the dust cap.

well, i've got in all my (cans of) foam and goo (thanks FZ) and i've started in on my practice speakers - some Paradigm 5s' that have seen some shit, man.

IMG_20171014_231406.jpg IMG_20171014_232722.jpg IMG_20171015_233534.jpg IMG_20171015_233539.jpg

you can see the before and after pics from the foam removal (i hope) - my first question is regarding cleanup of the goo on the speaker cone itself - these are rigid poly cones and are textured, the original glue does not want to come off so easily - i've been going after it with an x-acto knife and some IPA & qtips, but work is slow to the point of madness. how clean does this have to be?

the basket was somewhat easier, i was able to scrape a lot off with a razor and rub it mostly clean with my thumb, but waiting for my chisel-point x-acto blades to get the (dried muffin) remnants.

well, i've got in all my (cans of) foam and goo (thanks FZ) and i've started in on my practice speakers - some Paradigm 5s' that have seen some shit, man.

View attachment 1025831 View attachment 1025832 View attachment 1025833 View attachment 1025834

you can see the before and after pics from the foam removal (i hope) - my first question is regarding cleanup of the goo on the speaker cone itself - these are rigid poly cones and are textured, the original glue does not want to come off so easily - i've been going after it with an x-acto knife and some IPA & qtips, but work is slow to the point of madness. how clean does this have to be?

the basket was somewhat easier, i was able to scrape a lot off with a razor and rub it mostly clean with my thumb, but waiting for my chisel-point x-acto blades to get the (dried muffin) remnants.
Those look fine. You'll never get all the glue off. As long as it's as smooth as possible, you'll be good with the new surrounds. Remember, don't go crazy with glue. I use a lazy Susan rotating thing and spin the driver as I apply a bead of glue around the circumference of the cones. If you don't have a lazy Susan, I highly recommend you get one. Makes applying glue to cones and baskets easy and you can get a pretty even bead of glue.

Those look fine. You'll never get all the glue off. As long as it's as smooth as possible, you'll be good with the new surrounds. Remember, don't go crazy with glue. I use a lazy Susan rotating thing and spin the driver as I apply a bead of glue around the circumference of the cones. If you don't have a lazy Susan, I highly recommend you get one. Makes applying glue to cones and baskets easy and you can get a pretty even bead of glue.
hmm, i could probably put something together if i had a bearing of some kind, let me see what i can come up with....of course, i scrapped an old plastic TT a few weeks ago, that would have been perfect....i'm not going to go crazy on the lazy susan, i do NOT plan to make a habit of re-foaming speakers....the glue cleanup is such a pain....or maybe it's just these plastic cones.

Back
Top Bottom