JBL Hartsfield ....??? Colorado Facebook marketplace $1500

Ahh. Well, if they aren't originals the value really plummets. Worth the sum of the working parts, plus whatever someone wants to pay for particle board boxes, which I assume would not be very much, unless they were in truly excellent condition.

I have to agree.
The only thing I can confirm is at least one 375 driver.

Lol Dennis and Josh, two characters that I've heard a lot about that is pretty interesting to say the least.

Thats particle board not mdf. Not that it really matters, just being nitpicky.. So you think those are knockoffs?

I wonder how many of those were made.. Maybe the shop that was building the cabinets switched to particle board at some point..

I have wondered about how many of these were factory made also... there is an article on the Lansing Heritage site that mentions production years of ~1954 ish thru 1964. But numbers are a ?

Same place mentions Paragon production number at about 1000.

Honestly don't know if they are replicas or not, but from what seller says... probably not. Studying the pictures on Usam, the cuts around the crossovers look sloppy, back joints look hackish, not sure if particle board means anything... except we know it's cheaper than cabinet grade ply. I could judge better if I could see them in person, but the seller is very reticent about allowing someone inside the house... quite the hendrence to the buying/selling process...

Last edited:
Lol Dennis and Josh, two characters that I've heard a lot about that is pretty interesting to say the least.

Josh is cool IMO.
But I've made the mistake of buying a "perfect, just gone through " McIntosh from Dennis... never again.

Josh is cool IMO.
But I've made the mistake of buying a "perfect, just gone through " McIntosh from Dennis... never again.

Yeah I have heard Josh can be a good guy and straight shooter, Dennis on the other hand has a bad rap from everyone I speak with.

Some people just aren't with the good audio karma or ride that line into the black.

Ohh well, someone people hah.

I have wondered about how many of these were factory made also... there is an article on the Lansing Heritage site that mentions production years of ~1954 ish thru 1964. But numbers are a ?

Same place mentions Paragon production number at about 1000.

Honestly don't know if they are replicas or not, but from what seller says... probably not. Studying the pictures on Usam, the cuts around the crossovers look sloppy, back joints look hackish, not sure if particle board means anything... except we know it's cheaper than cabinet grade ply. I could judge better if I could see them in person, but the seller is very reticent about allowing someone inside the house... quite the hendrence to the buying/selling process...

Hmmm.. Seems odd that the cut outs would be sloppy. If someone was a professional they would have made a template to make a clean cut. You wouldnt think you would see sloppy joinery either. It was an expensive speaker! Quality control?

The numbers of original Hartsfield are far far less than the custom built with appropriate drivers
speakers often seen.

Can't recall the specific numbers but early kits and of course custom one off's were quite common
after JBL stopped in-house production.

I made an offer on an exquisite pair in Rosewood that were originally assembled in Hong Kong
using the appropriate load but was unsuccessful.

Hmmm.. Seems odd that the cut outs would be sloppy. If someone was a professional they would have made a template to make a clean cut. You wouldnt think you would see sloppy joinery either. It was an expensive speaker! Quality control?

...or it wasn't factory...

I don't know, particle board isn't impossible to imagine for a factory built but I too would have expected the main body of the cabinet (especially ones this big) to be made of ply as well. I do have some original Altec Utility Cabinets that are ply but the interchangeable baffle is particle board and is very obviously factory made not diy.

Thought I would follow up...

The seller had an estate sale a while ago and I went.
The speakers were not for sale at the sale. Seller has decided not to sell for less than 12k.

These look pretty rough in person. Many dings and scratches and gouges on cabinet...
seller requested no pics.
They are not hooked up, and I was not allowed to hookup.

About the particle board: I personally do not think it is a deciding factor of whether they are factory or not. IMO, a factory made cabinet would have cleaner cuts, and more precise joinery. Perhaps a serial number other than the xover #.

I feel that the seller has been told so much about these, and has done so much “research” that they have reached such a value in the sellers mind, as to probably not be sold in a while.

I can only assume that these need much help (caps, resistors, diaphragms etc) before they can be what they once were...

The seller has been approached by most of the heavyweight flippers in our state and has been inundated with “facts” and opinions...

I have to say though, I will probably never see another pair of Hartsfields... whether they are kit, diy, or factory...

I've seen other JBL factory models of similar production year using the particle board but not the Hartsfield though. Looking at the back of the speakers, I can kinda suspect non-factory built. The N400 serial # seems to be the only visible # and does match the time period (heritage site has serial # registry and can kinda guess the year). I'd assume that this was either a kit or non-jbl factory built. If that's the case, the price should be much lower than asking. If someone's serious about pursuing these, getting into the cabinets would probably give more clues.

That is some of the finest particle board I've ever seen.
Of course the front is veneered. Speaking of veneering, the more I look at the cabinet finish, the more I think it's not factory built - whether it was kit or not. I've never seen such veneer chip that's on the front top from a factory built cab.

NOAF!!!
An second JBL Hartsfield pair speakers just popped up on local CL at Christmas time for 12.5K$. Hopefully among of us , the lucky man will receive this big Christmas presents from his nice lady....Could that happen?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/ele/d/colorado-springs-jbl-hartsfield-classic/6779086728.html

View attachment 1365006 View attachment 1365007 View attachment 1365008 View attachment 1365009 View attachment 1365016
I would pop on these TAD repros WAY before I’d touch the first ones discussed! These are beautiful!

We have four vehicles... do we need four cars?

Of course my wife would reply :

“You have hundreds of speakers, why another?”

If I had a dime for every time I’ve heard that... might have enough for these.

Back
Top Bottom