JBL Jubal L65's opinion

Found our (my wife alerted me to their presence in the local Salvation Army - "Get over here NOW!") set of L65s for $35 *Yes, for the pair...*

We use them for every day audio output and they are very nice.
$600 nice? Not sure, but they are excellent once they are separated from the carpeted floor.
Ours are on concrete blocks, which gave the bottom end some definition and the midrange some clarity. I suppose those who aren't partial to them may have them set up incorrectly. (Then again, we might have them set up incorrectly too - but it's working for us!)

All around - Compared to several JBL sets we have on-hand (D-48 / L88 - Nova / L-166 / L4311 - Plus, I grew up listening to L96s) we really enjoy their sound - Great for every day music listening - Great with nasty compressed DirecTV audio and listening to digital output with a WDLXTV box -- These are our *preferred* daily runners. We love the sound of JBL, so there may be a very very slight bias here... :D

I found a near mint pair in Houston about 6 years ago on Ebay with original boxes. I had to replace the underlayment for the glass using black photo mat board from an art store, but other than that they're gorgeous for their age. No scratches or separations in the veneer and even the pots are quiet. I like their sound better than any speaker I've heard in a home environment except maybe some corner Klipshorns. I have a beautiful pair of L5's I use for rear surrounds of my 7.1 setup that were my mains until I found my Jubals.

I'm a bit curious just what one would expect in sound improvement by replacing the caps on the crossover. I'd hate to mess up their sound. They rock!

I have had 3 pair sold them all for big profit on ebay...might keep the next pair...nice speaker...jbl has better

The 077's should have blue diaphragms if they are original . I've heard the difference between newer ferrite magnet woofers as opposed to the stock 122a/126a Alnico type. The stock woofers are curvilinear type, the modern equivalents are much more suited for today's CD quality dynamic range. Btw, you should see the blue through the acrylic phase plug. While not super speakers; if your set up is correct, they are very enjoyable and definitely worth 6 bills.

Wow, 7 year old thread,! Harvester, was there a dank smell when you reopened this one? :naughty:
Btw I have owned a pair of L65's since 1976, still have cabs down under the house. . They are pretty good speakers but forget about their end table dual function. These need at least 12 inches under them,preferably more. Mine gave me ear fatigue towards end which I now know was that 5" mid driver.

Back
Top Bottom