Jbl junkie

Hi JBL Joe. I am sure that once you get more well known and prove yourself as a source of valuable information there will be no shortage of questions for you.

Last but not least....Welcome!!

Being a JBL fan, I would be remiss if I didn’t add my “Welcome!” along with everyone else’s!

Though my JBL connection is “low on the food chain”, I still have and love my L50’s (two pair) that I bought 39 years ago. (I’ve got a couple of threads here about redoing the grills and rebuilding one cabinet.)

I look forward to reading your posts!

- Jeff

My name is Joe and l worked for JBL for 25 years mainly outfitting recording studios. Any questions about Jbl and Altec monitors let me know. Always glad to talk Lansing
What is your opinion on the JBL Control 1 and SB-1 system? Why did JBL discontinue the SB-1 and SB-5 subwoofers yet keep the speakers in production? Could you please tell me more about the JBL Control Micros, I know little about them...

Hey joe, is there a way to improve the sound (mid and high) of my 4430? I think the sound is very muffled, so I have to give a lot of gain in the high pit, so it gets a bit annoying!

I can just see all you JBL lovers sittin around reading this entire thread while sipping "the Kool-Aid" just wondering what new thing you might learn about your beloved speakers. I did...

Hey Joe!
Nice to meet ya and great to have a new member that was in the factory trenches! Looking forward to reading some of your stories.
My only JBL's are my little 4301bs. I got these from a CL listing from a voice over studio in Manhattan. Until I bought them, they had never had music played through them from new. They had a very easy life. They are virtually mint, were never on the floor according to the original owner. They had fresh surrounds installed just prior to my purchase several years ago.
I love these little speakers. Sound amazing and put out way more sound than you would expect from speakers this size.
Except for the surround replacement, they are completely original. I only wiped them with an application of Danish oil to bring back the glow to the walnut veneer.
I'm currently running them with a JVC P-L10 preamp and JVC M-7050 power amp that puts out 210wpc.
What's your experience and opinion of these little gems?
Cheers, Glenn
Glenn...glad to meet you. The 4301b was basically a later edition of the 4406. A slightly larger woofer but because of the crossover required more damping factor to go as low as the 6"er in 4306. A very nice speaker like every ither Lansing monitor . l think a amp with more current than the JVC will really make them come alive especially in a nearfield setting

Hey joe, is there a way to improve the sound (mid and high) of my 4430? I think the sound is very muffled, so I have to give a lot of gain in the high pit, so it gets a bit annoying!

A characteristic of the 2235 combined with the family of drivers with nothing in between.

Last edited:
All l can say us to check the xover and L pads....or you amp. Can it be you've overdriven the compression driver. That's where l would start.

Hi Joe - I’m interested in anything you can tell me about the Altec 9849-8B Studio Monitor (history, design, crossover, cabinetry, voicing, music type targeting, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joe - I’m interested in anything you can tell me about the Altec 9849-8B Studio Monitor (history, design, crossover, cabinetry, voicing, music type targeting, etc.).

Thanks in advance.
They were furunners to model 15. Not very popular and hard to find parts for. I would suggest model 14 because the mantaray horn is much more advanced

What is your opinion on the JBL Control 1 and SB-1 system? Why did JBL discontinue the SB-1 and SB-5 subwoofers yet keep the speakers in production? Could you please tell me more about the JBL Control Micros, I know little about them...
Never used the controls those were.more suited for home studio and multi media sound reinforcement. Not true .studio monitors. You can do better

Glenn...glad to meet you. The 4301b was basically a later edition of the 4406. A slightly larger woofer but because of the crossover required more damping factor to go as low as the 6"er in 4306. A very nice speaker like every ither Lansing monitor . l think a amp with more current than the JVC will really make them come alive especially in a nearfield setting
Hi Joe,
Thanks. I think it's the other way around, 4301b's were 1980, the 4406's 1985-94.
The sound from the 4301b's are phenominal.

Cheers, Glenn

Specs on the amp.
Description
High slew rate, un-measurable TIM distortion, non magnetic aluminium chassis base to eliminate the magnetostriction, and high capacitive power supply are just a few of the features which combine to produce the best possible sound.

Specifications
Power output: 150 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) (210 wpc on my techs bench)

Frequency response: 1Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Damping factor: 200

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 120dB

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 160 x 425 x 415mm

Weight: 22.4kg (49.3 lbs)

Year: 1979

Last edited:
Never used the controls those were.more suited for home studio and multi media sound reinforcement. Not true .studio monitors. You can do better
Well I have a pair of JBL Studio 590's but they're a bit much for nighttime use *laughs* I was impressed by the Control 1s/ SB-1 I didn't expect them to be so capable for their size...

My first Speakers were Stephens followed by Altec Cornados and Carmels and almost Capistanos with a 604 inside. I worked installing prof EV Altec and JBL for Almost 36 years. Consumer products when required. There were periods of time when Altec was clearly in the lead and other when JBL was. Some times they were both in the lead, but in different branches of Sound re- enforcement. EV didn't really come into its own till they invented the Great White Horns. EV engineers Developed Mantaray horns that were to be contributed to Altec. JBL developed early drivers that Altec perfected over the years, too. It was a great competitive time. Altec gave dealers better support to guarantee results in large spaces. JBL was more innovative always trying to perfect something new. Their wood craftsmanship for home systems back in the 60's and early 70's was beyond compare. Though Klipsch was never as sophisticated in driver design as JBL. His designs filled a knitch that neither Altec or JBL could compete with for the dollar. I still prefer 2 way Altec and JBL over three and 4 way systems. I love 4435, and if I had my way there would be no need for the super tweeters in DD 65, 66, and 67000 series speakers. I would prefer to see a larger horns and a lower crossover frequencies to woofers. The M2 really intrigues me.

As for folks who prize Magne planar over JBL. A JBL used in a studio is a totally different experience from a JBL used in a home. And where in a studio you might be wanting to get the last bit of accuracy, in a home you are try to create an illusion. Why else do people by Bose and 3 channel Klipsch systems with cornerhorns and a center channel speaker. To create an illusion. The illusion can be thought of as real, but in most cases people don't want to hear real. Thats to raw, austere, to revealing. POP artists performances are all about illusions since the advent of Stereo recordings with electronic instruments and electronic gadgets coming to the fore. AR, KLH, Boston, EPI and many others with the New England sound almost buried JBL in the eyes of the consumer. Altec is gone, so is EV , Tannoy sales have dropped. Whats left. Klipsch and JBL. But its not the JBL of the 50's or 60's. At least Klipsch is still selling it Heritage line. Where are the Paragons, Harkness, and other famous JBL models. Where are the beautiful works of art and fine wood craftsmanship jBL was famous for ? Gone. Bozak is gone, Barzilay with either Altec JBL or EV drivers is gone. Mcintosh ML series is gone. I miss the good old days of beautifully deigned loud speakers. All people want to buy now days are black or wooden monoliths. I'd love to have a Paragon with updated drivers and crossovers from the Synthesis line. Can you imagine a Urei 813 system in a Altec Carmel or Gorgeous JBL cabinet from the 60's. I know building speakers in wooden cabinets is a compromise. Just ask folks at Magico, Mcintosh, and other lines using Aluminum. I would love someone to build 100 db sensitivity speakers with low distortion and beatiful wood cabinets that sound as good as they look. As much as I love the sound of a 4435 or want a DD67000 to be on my bucket list, I can't place them there. They are not the JBL, EV, Altec, Bozak, of old with fine cabinetry, intricate grills and a sophistication in appearance of old. I know I'm dated, but I wonder if available how many people would love to have JBL's version of a 604 or M2 in a GRF Tannoy enclosure at a fairly reasonable cost. I could and would. Someting visually appealing and something to be proud of with direct heritage to the past. Folks will spends tens of thousands of dollars on cars, appliances and other things with the great sophisticated shapes, but continue to buy ugly black towers as speakers. There exceptions from Italy, Germany, Britain, Holland Belgium , France, etc, and a very limited very custom models produced in the US of A. But None say JBL, Altec, EV, Stephens, Jensen University, Bozak. Only Klipsch. Wouldn't it be great to have a Rosewod Paragon for under $30,000? The price of Magneplanors new 4 panel 30.7.

I know just like building a Continental MK II today it wouldn't sell. But if a Paragon could be updated like the latest version of a Aston Martin, Maserati, Jaguar I think if a Paragon could be integrated in to a HT systems and Flanked by updated DD 68000 it might sell again. It should also be a stand alone stereo speaker as before. If Mac can reissue improved MC 275's at 15 times the original cost why can't JBL reissue a Paragon at 10 times the cost? If magico can pre sell 50 pairs of their limited number top of the line speaker, and Tesla can sell his top of the line electronic cars by just showing videos, Why can't JBL? With built in DSP's and multi channel amps in Bi or tri amped configuration it could be one Hell of a system.

Last edited:
My first Speakers were Stephens followed by Altec Cornados and Carmels and almost Capistanos with a 604 inside. I worked installing prof EV Altec and JBL for Almost 36 years. Consumer products when required. There were periods of time when Altec was clearly in the lead and other when JBL was. Some times they were both in the lead, but in different branches of Sound re- enforcement. EV didn't really come into its own till they invented the Great White Horns. EV engineers Developed Mantaray horns that were to be contributed to Altec. JBL developed early drivers that Altec perfected over the years, too. It was a great competitive time. Altec gave dealers better support to guarantee results in large spaces. JBL was more innovative always trying to perfect something new. Their wood craftsmanship for home systems back in the 60's and early 70's was beyond compare. Though Klipsch was never as sophisticated in driver design as JBL. His designs filled a knitch that neither Altec or JBL could compete with for the dollar. I still prefer 2 way Altec and JBL over three and 4 way systems. I love 4435, and if I had my way there would be no need for the super tweeters in DD 65, 66, and 67000 series speakers. I would prefer to see a larger horns and a lower crossover frequencies to woofers. The M2 really intrigues me.

As for folks who prize Magne planar over JBL. A JBL used in a studio is a totally different experience from a JBL used in a home. And where in a studio you might be wanting to get the last bit of accuracy, in a home you are try to create an illusion. Why else do people by Bose and 3 channel Klipsch systems with cornerhorns and a center channel speaker. To create an illusion. The illusion can be thought of as real, but in most cases people don't want to hear real. Thats to raw, austere, to revealing. POP artists performances are all about illusions since the advent of Stereo recordings with electronic instruments and electronic gadgets coming to the fore. AR, KLH, Boston, EPI and many others with the New England sound almost buried JBL in the eyes of the consumer. Altec is gone, so is EV , Tannoy sales have dropped. Whats left. Klipsch and JBL. But its not the JBL of the 50's or 60's. At least Klipsch is still selling it Heritage line. Where are the Paragons, Harkness, and other famous JBL models. Where are the beautiful works of art and fine wood craftsmanship jBL was famous for ? Gone. Bozak is gone, Barzilay with either Altec JBL or EV drivers is gone. Mcintosh ML series is gone. I miss the good old days of beautifully deigned loud speakers. All people want to buy now days are black or wooden monoliths. I'd love to have a Paragon with updated drivers and crossovers from the Synthesis line. Can you imagine a Urei 813 system in a Altec Carmel or Gorgeous JBL cabinet from the 60's. I know building speakers in wooden cabinets is a compromise. Just ask folks at Magico, Mcintosh, and other lines using Aluminum. I would love someone to build 100 db sensitivity speakers with low distortion and beatiful wood cabinets that sound as good as they look. As much as I love the sound of a 4435 or want a DD67000 to be on my bucket list, I can't place them there. They are not the JBL, EV, Altec, Bozak, of old with fine cabinetry, intricate grills and a sophistication in appearance of old. I know I'm dated, but I wonder if available how many people would love to have JBL's version of a 604 or M2 in a GRF Tannoy enclosure at a fairly reasonable cost. I could and would. Someting visually appealing and something to be proud of with direct heritage to the past. Folks will spends tens of thousands of dollars on cars, appliances and other things with the great sophisticated shapes, but continue to buy ugly black towers as speakers. There exceptions from Italy, Germany, Britain, Holland Belgium , France, etc, and a very limited very custom models produced in the US of A. But None say JBL, Altec, EV, Stephens, Jensen University, Bozak. Only Klipsch. Wouldn't it be great to have a Rosewod Paragon for under $30,000? The price of Magneplanors new 4 panel 30.7.

I know just like building a Continental MK II today it wouldn't sell. But if a Paragon could be updated like the latest version of a Aston Martin, Maserati, Jaguar I think if a Paragon could be integrated in to a HT systems and Flanked by updated DD 68000 it might sell again. It should also be a stand alone stereo speaker as before. If Mac can reissue improved MC 275's at 15 times the original cost why can't JBL reissue a Paragon at 10 times the cost? If magico can pre sell 50 pairs of their limited number top of the line speaker, and Tesla can sell his top of the line electronic cars by just showing videos, Why can't JBL? With built in DSP's and multi channel amps in Bi or tri amped configuration it could be one Hell of a system.
The only artist who mastered on Maggie's was Cat Stevens. At least he used Audio Research amps

Hey Joe, welcome aboard!

What are your thoughts on the Altec "Big Red" studio monitors?

Back
Top Bottom