JBL L100

I loved my 4312As until I bought my 4412As, which I loved until I bought my LSR6332s, ... you can chase this squirrel right up a tree. I have a room full of speakers I like better than any of my mid-field JBL monitors.

However, the L100s are a wonderfully punchy speaker, with a tweeter that works well on vintage music and makes many old rockers smile.

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice, suggestions, and the informative posts, that's what makes the Audiokarma community so much fun to be a part of. Merry Christmas to all and joyous, happy, healthy New Year.

Well, I finally got around to disassembly to replace the terminals, and when I removed the woofer I noticed what looked like a small tear in the 5" midrange (LE 5-2), so I removed it for further inspection, and was happy to see that it was a seam rupture. I'm not sure what to do now. It looks like a scalloped edge seam w/ a very slight glue margin, I don't know if I can repair w/ out screwing it up. Any suggestions,? glue type, method, anyone else experience such a failure. It still sounded good. Thanks CC

Well, I finally got around to disassembly to replace the terminals, and when I removed the woofer I noticed what looked like a small tear in the 5" midrange (LE 5-2), so I removed it for further inspection, and was happy to see that it was a seam rupture. I'm not sure what to do now. It looks like a scalloped edge seam w/ a very slight glue margin, I don't know if I can repair w/ out screwing it up. Any suggestions,? glue type, method, anyone else experience such a failure. It still sounded good. Thanks CC
Cut a strip of coffee filter or even paper towel just bigger than the tear. Cover both sides in diluted Aileens or regular Elmers white (think paper mache). Apply from the rear so that it can't be seen. Use a pick to make sure that some glue is in the actual gap.

Worst case is buying a new pair, ... and they're plentiful.

I've seen those Radio-Shack grille replacement foams on other L100s, must have been a popular replacement. I don't know when JBL stopped selling the quadrex foam for them, but the currently available ones from Sculptured Foam Innovations sure look nice!

Just got back from Goodwill Norwich Ct. w/ a pair of JBL L100 Centurys in very good condition. I'm stoked the price was $24.99 apiece, but I got a 25% discount because of points accumulated from past purchases I did not know I had, total price $39 and change out the door. I haven't tried them out yet, but will before evening. Everything looks original. drivers, grill, badges, all look in very good shape. I took pics w/ my phone and when I figure out how to email them to my laptop I will post, and report sound quality. This is the same goodwill that a few years back I scored some Pioneer HPM 100's in likewise condition, with a Pioneer SX-750 thrown in for around $60. Have a Merry Christmas everyone, I know I will. CC
That is insane! I'm very put out! Oh, and congradulations!

FWIW, that is the 2nd of 3 versions, the JBL L100A. Nice find, pretty hard to beat the price!!

Attachments

• Jbl Speaker L100A Century.PDF
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
Cut a strip of coffee filter or even paper towel just bigger than the tear. Cover both sides in diluted Aileens or regular Elmers white (think paper mache). Apply from the rear so that it can't be seen. Use a pick to make sure that some glue is in the actual gap.
May I suggest that you tear the coffee filter instead of cutting - it will leave fibers on the edge that take to the glue better and will be a stronger "grip".

Back
Top Bottom