JBL L200 Studio Masters-Pics

After your thread you started where one of your lenses fell off and was resting against the woof I decided I better pull the grills off and check mine. Anyway mine were still on the horns but decided to experiment a bit with removing the lenses and playing them that way.

Interestingly enough I have kept them off since, noticing (what I perceive) as an improvement in imaging. Not the only change, also a bit more of the "in your face" directness. Also seems to be a bit more revealing (i have decided ).

The mids are a little more bright, and I'm definitely going to get REW running some sweeps soon and see if I can see and possibly flatten that portion out, but in the meantime, since I never listen off axis anyway I am very much eenjoying the new image from ditching the lenses.

I did try that for like 5 minutes! Too bright for my ears! Lens' back on.
I have the setting set to -6db which for me is just right. I need to hook them up to some different amp/preamps and see how the sound is affected. The Onkyo may be voiced a bit brighter than the JVC gear, we'll see.

Awesome job on the veneer repair. My favorite part too is applying that first coat of finish! Sweet, sweet speakers.

I did try that for like 5 minutes! Too bright for my ears! Lens' back on.
I have the setting set to -6db which for me is just right. I need to hook them up to some different amp/preamps and see how the sound is affected. The Onkyo may be voiced a bit brighter than the JVC gear, we'll see.
Yes it does brighten up the upper mids without the lenses, and since my L200's are biamped now with a Mini DSP 2x4HD I can make some PEQ adjustments on that when I have a free day with REW and my mic. Still I may go back to having the lenses on as I was pretty happy before.

I have been chasing some of the issues with the L200's for a few years now, and trying to coax out a better image has been one. They are not really known for great imaging, (perhaps few big box speakers are) but playing around with them, toe in/out, setting up the chair at the right distance, moving them further off the wall etc, and now my latest impression (too early to call it a discovery) on how the image seems to have come into a sort of focus has me putting up with a bit of brightness for now (I'm getting used to it).. It also has a lot to do with listening room, and my room is pretty unusual in that the ceiling rises up at a 45 deg angle to a peak at 20 feet from the floor. I also have a upstairs balcony right over and behind my listening chair, and the wall behind my head is 28 feet behind me. Add to that all sorts of sonic diffraction from being an exposed timber frame home makes it probably sound different than in most peoples rooms. So in other words, anything I do, YMMV!

One thing I love about the L200' is they have a certain beefy look (yours look especially nice now!!) and they have a solid box that allows for much experimentation. In fact there have been a lot of mods done to these over the years if you look around.. I like the idea of using them as an experimentation platform.. But just stock they sound pretty dang sweet! I know I enjoyed mine that way too over the many years I have been around them..

Looks really nice! Any chance of these making an appearance at an upcoming meet? Would be the star of the show ;-)

Jblnut

Looks really nice! Any chance of these making an appearance at an upcoming meet? Would be the star of the show ;-)

Jblnut
Thanks JBL!
I’d love to, but I doubt these are going anywhere unless I sell them some day. They are 125lbs, physically large, so not easy to move, and both will not fit in my car. I occasionally host small (2-3 people) listening sessions at the house. So that’s how they could be heard. The cave area is small.
Cheers, Glenn

Thanks JBL!
I’d love to, but I doubt these are going anywhere unless I sell them some day. They are 125lbs, physically large, so not easy to move, and both will not fit in my car. I occasionally host small (2-3 people) listening sessions at the house. So that’s how they could be heard. The cave area is small.
Cheers, Glenn

Wow, buck twenty five? Those are some hefty speakers.

They are large enough to require two people anyway (though I did pick them up by myself back in my 20s...and have major back problems today....just coincidence), so the weight isn't that much of an issue by itself.

The bigger problem I had was that they are a tight fit through doors and stairways (esp w/ 2 people), and very vulnerable to nicks and dings... I always tried to have two 'carriers' and one 'spotter' when I moved mine!

PS. At one point I accidently 'poked' my side grills (from the inside), and they popped right out. IRCC, it looked like they were fastened in with just a few spots of hide glue. Now they fit very nicely, with just a friction fit, for cleaning and oiling sessions:)

PPS. I've been following up on Alobar and Toddalin's comments on the lenses.
So far I'm finding the imaging much improved, and slightly less 'muddled' sound w/out them.
FWIW, I think they seem to blend with the 077 supertweets better, too...but still 'early (listening) days' yet.
One downside is that the listening 'sweet spot' for that imaging is much narrower, about as I'd expect.
I just dialed down my MF/HF amp one notch to accommodate the added 'brightness' - no biggey.

Nice work! Keep on enjoying them!!!

They are large enough to require two people anyway (though I did pick them up by myself back in my 20s...and have major back problems today....just coincidence), so the weight isn't that much of an issue by itself.

The bigger problem I had was that they are a tight fit through doors and stairways (esp w/ 2 people), and very vulnerable to nicks and dings... I always tried to have two 'carriers' and one 'spotter' when I moved mine!

PS. At one point I accidently 'poked' my side grills (from the inside), and they popped right out. IRCC, it looked like they were fastened in with just a few spots of hide glue. Now they fit very nicely, with just a friction fit, for cleaning and oiling sessions:)

PPS. I've been following up on Alobar and Toddalin's comments on the lenses.
So far I'm finding the imaging much improved, and slightly less 'muddled' sound w/out them.
FWIW, I think they seem to blend with the 077 supertweets better, too...but still 'early (listening) days' yet.
One downside is that the listening 'sweet spot' for that imaging is much narrower, about as I'd expect.
I just dialed down my MF/HF amp one notch to accommodate the added 'brightness' - no biggey.

Nice work! Keep on enjoying them!!!
Thanks!
If I was in my 20's, then hell yeah, I would have stupidly picked these up myself and probably would have banged them up good getting them through the door ways, though I hope I would have been wise enough to see the foolishness of this attempt and asked a room mate for help. I wish that I had had these back then, but I'm sure they would have needed a lot more veneer repair work than these did!

Once these are in place, I'll try them again without the lenses. Lots of experimenting to do.
Appreciate all the input!
Cheers, Glenn

I move my L200 cabinets on the carpet all the time, and they're heavier than stock.

I put some teflon "glides" along the bottoms and they work great. If I need to move them elsewhere, they are easy to tip onto a dollie or hand truck.

I use a hand cart for mine. Be careful if lifting under the top front overhang - it's a separate piece of wood, glued on. Don't ask me how I know. :no:

I use a hand cart for mine. Be careful if lifting under the top front overhang - it's a separate piece of wood, glued on. Don't ask me how I know. :no:

When I got my cabinets, they were "rid hard and put up wet" (or left out wet) and that piece was missing entirely from one. I made one, glued it in, and can't tell which was replaced.

I've only had time lately to follow this thread Glenn via phone and just didn't want to comment much due to "fat thumb" and small letters. Just outstanding work you did there. So much I've missed in this thread, so I'm going to start over from page one. Just beautiful fella.

I've only had time lately to follow this thread Glenn via phone and just didn't want to comment much due to "fat thumb" and small letters. Just outstanding work you did there. So much I've missed in this thread, so I'm going to start over from page one. Just beautiful fella.
Thank you! You ladies & gents are terrific!
I'm really enjoying these so far. The enthusiasm is infectious!
Truly amazing speakers in original stock form.

Thanks gents!
I'll be happy when finished, but enjoy the restoration aspect equally.

Nice job Glenn...and those do look hefty! I am not that familiar with JBL but the ones I have heard have been on the bright side. Several audio guys I know have told me the same thing but yet others love them.

You mention how bright with lens off but don't fight it if it just ain't your cup of tea...even as others fawn over them. They will be worth a few bucks so win/win either way...:)

Back
Top Bottom