JBL L50 - are they oil finished?

Hi,
I have recently aquired some dark Walnut JBL L50.

Are these oil finished?
I have some teak oil and also some beeswax polish.

Should i just treat them to a wipe with teak oil?

Also 35+ years old.
Do they NEED a recap/lpad clean?
They sound excellent as is.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great find. I'd say if they sound good to you now, don't fuss with the caps inside.
JBL used to recommend wiping their cabinets down with boiled linseed oil, but different folks have different opinions on that.

I tend to use a light wipedown with Howard's Orange oil (the stuff without the wax) every 6 months or so on my walnut cabinets.
The beeswax would seal the pores and can build up over time.
Given your choices, Teak oil sounds good.
Other prefer using Tung oil or Watco Danish oil, both of which tend to seal the wood.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly ...

Prior to applying any of the good recommendations above, I would clean the cabs exterior with something like Murphy’s Oil Soap. This will remove dirt, grime, body oil, and any other foreign residue before oiling. Often a cleaning process will also expose paint splatters caused by amateurs who don’t properly protect “furniture” before slapping on a coat of interior paint. These should also be removed before oiling. Allow a day or so drying after the initial cleaning process. I have a pair of L50s. Really nice, highly efficient speakers. What color is your grill cloth? Mine is dark brown.

I agree with @hjames, if they sound good, they are good.

Regarding the finish, all of the JBL speakers I've seen have oil finishes. The only JBL cabinets I've seen with a sprayed on finish are the early C38 from the late 50's or early 60's.

If your cabinets are not beat up and don't need re-finishing, @hjames is correct again, use a finish that will not build-up with repeated applications. If they do need re-finishing, gently sand them with 220 grit sand-paper mounted in a sanding block, (do not use a power tool unless you are an experienced wood worker, you risk sanding thru the veneer). Then apply a 50-50 mix of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil per instructions on the can. The speakers will look like new with minimal effort.

Applying Tung Oil and other finishes that seal the wood are very difficult to achieve a perfect finish, unless of course you are a professional.

Last edited:
I have to say, i really like tne JBL L50.

I have had a few vintage snells and loved those.
And i like tne JBLs equally.

They seem to make it enjoyable to listen to types of music i wouldn’t have listed to before as it sounded blah.

Now, if i could only locate a pair of L112 to go with them

Back
Top Bottom