JBL Lancer 77's I Am Impressed!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by dc270, Oct 6, 2007.

1. dc270

dc270 Now Off The Reservation..... Subscriber

WOW to be a speaker system of 40 years aged- they are really nice to listen to. They are voiced darned well for a 9" mid bass, 2" cone tweeter, two way system- these had to have been one of JBL's better efforts of the day!

I just finished a weeks worth or refoams and cabinet restorations on these. I think these turned out quite pleasant considering what I originally had to work with! :banana:

If you have the chance do listen to a pair of these- surely one of the strongest sounding 2 ways ever made in my book-especially for the time!
    DC

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Zilch

Zilch Curve Junkie Subscriber

3. jbpollock

jbpollock AK Subscriber Subscriber

They look good. Nice work!

4. dc270

5. Giskard

Giskard Member

:lmao:
    Cool! :)

6. dc270

Nice Avatar! What are those?
    DC

7. Zilch

Let's see what Giskard might suggest, if he will, please, Giskard?? :thmbsp:

8. ekmanning5

ekmanning5 Time has told me... Subscriber

I have a pair I would like to refoam. Where did you get the refoam kits from?

9. Zilch

10. dc270

11. Zilch

Crossover is 12 dB/octave @ 2500 Hz.

Oddly, JBL doesn't suggest a substitute:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L77 Lancer ts.pdf

JBL 035tiA would be my first choice, if it'd fit; I kinda doubt it, since it's 5" diameter.

JBL 053ti may be a little smaller. JBL crosses it at 2.5 kHz in 4408A, but 18 dB/octave, a simple crossover mod:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio Monitor Series/4408ALR.pdf

They're current, and JBL Pro's least expensive titanium tweeter.

The Tang Band 28-847SD I'm using in AR4x is 2.875" diameter, and would be a significant step up from LE20-1, which hardly even qualifies as a tweeter anymore.

Finally, Fostex does similar with FT207D, which has a flange configured to squeeze in the available space:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/ft207d.pdf

$41.60 at Madisound:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=131&sort=3a&filter_id=326

No crossover changes required if they'll fit.

I've been wanting to build this with that Fostex tweeter, actually:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/ft207d_fw137_2way.pdf

[Using JBL woofers, tho.... :p: ]

Footnote: Giskard's avatar shows JBL DD66000 "Everest II," JBL's current TOTL flagship speaker, $30,000 per each. A complete home theater setup gets up around $240,000.... :yes:

12. dc270

Thanks Zilch, that Fostex looks very interesting!!
    DC

13. Zilch

I've never heard them, but if they sound as good as or better than these Tang Bands, they'll bring your L77s to life.

The construction seems similar. I'm tempted to order a pair myself, as I may be able to squeeze them into a pair of L44s I have here, a worthy upgrade.... :thmbsp:

14. dc270

I kinda wonder what the impedance looks like at the 2500hz xover point of the 77's capared to what the LE 20's are!
    I appreciate your diligence in finding them-I do like the fit they make between the drivers!
    DC

15. Zilch

I'll let you know in about a week.... ;)

16. dc270

Yew da man Zilch- I will anxiously await your valuable information. You getting those Fostex?
    DC

17. Zilch

Yeah, talked myself into trying a pair right here on AK last night.

[It's a hazard of "researching" stuff.... :p: ]

18. Steve O

Steve O Super Member

I've done a little research too based on what I've read in this thread. After some catalog surfing last nite, I almost understand how you arrived at your decision to recommend the Fostex FT207D and TB 28-847 (S?, SA?, SD?) as a repl for the LE20. Is it the combination of true extended HF response combined with low fs/low end response and high sensitivity? If this is so, is there some reason similarly spec'd HF drivers from say Morel wouldn't work too such as MDT-20 or esp MDT-37. Both appear to have the low end capabilities at least by spec sheet and the MDT-37 is 3dB more sensitive (room to play with level matching, minor eq etc.).

Curious minds want to know how the pros think.

19. dc270

Another thing to consider is the xover point and what the ohms of the driver is at that point so it will crossover effectively/ smoothly. I think the Morels, which I dearly love, are maybe close to 6 ohm around 2K (the Lancers xover point), I dont know what the LE 20 (in the Lancers) ohm is at that point but the xover components should be built to consider that and more.
    DC

20. Steve O

Steve O Super Member

Yes, this is a detail but an important one as I found out working on my Altec Carmels.

FWIW all HF drivers discussed so far are catalog rated at 8 ohms nominal although the Morels RE is 5.2 ohm, the TB is 6 ohm and the Fostex was not noted in the Madisound catalog. The LE20-1s I have laying around have RE ~ 3.5 ohm regardless of whether stated nominal imp is 8 or 16 ohm !!!???:scratch2: so I suspect that Z2k wil be less than 8 ohm. Guess I'll meas tonite to be certain.

This discovery further has me wondering how Mr. Z makes his selections (and apparently makes 'em work correctly in his chosen app).