JBL LE10A.....a worth while woofer?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
I have 4 LE10A woofers and 4 PR10 passives.

I am trying to decide wether or not these components worth a DIY project or not.

I have had a functional L77 system (thats where some of these came from) and while it was a fun little system, it ultimately lost its spot to something a bit more capable. They just plain came up short next to the competition.

So, is there something else that can be done with these components that will outshine an L77?

How capable is the LE10A?

Oh yeah! Model them in a 3 cu. ft. cabinet. They play low AND high. I have four and they will go into two boxes with a horn on top. Baby 4435. They can sound great. Learn how to model them in WinISD. Valuable, free tool. The LE10 is in the database.

Just one in 3 ft. Because the project is about third in line I don't recall the Vas, but I believe they'll play in that box to about 32Hz @ -3dB. Doing this totally by memory.

Have you refoamed them? If they have the old orange Lansolloy surrounds, you are not going to get the best sound out of them by a long shot.

Have you refoamed them? If they have the old orange Lansolloy surrounds, you are not going to get the best sound out of them by a long shot.
Mine are indeed refoamed.

Still not sure if I want to use them or move them along.

Just one in 3 ft. Because the project is about third in line I don't recall the Vas, but I believe they'll play in that box to about 32Hz @ -3dB. Doing this totally by memory.
Hi Turndown, I'd like to talk with you regarding the LE10A woofers. I have four and 4 passive radiators. I'm planning to use an Ultimax subwoofer to 200 HZ with a 1200 watt plate amp, two LE10A's for mid bass to 800 or 1200 HZ with 2 passive PR10s on the back of a 2 cu ft box for all four and a 375 with the hartsfield horn lens to 7K and an 075 on top. My email is Kftooll@gmail.com if we can converse off the site.. I am 78 and have two years left as I have ALS. I have built 3 other pairs of speakers with JBL LE15As, 375s and harts field horn lenses and 075 on top just to hear how they sound. I hope we can communicate. Thanks, Ken,

Jmho
But the passive radiators will be practically useless above 200 hz. While I love the Heartsfield horns and 375’s you will miss All
That Glorious midrange with a 1200 hz xover point 5-800 Hz. Is better
Try the small L91 Lenses in front of the 075’s . They reduce the burn a hole in your eardrum effect they can have
Todd has done extensive testing on them
I tried and while not nearly as good as the 076
Or 077’ tweeters the lenses do help
Bobhorn

Oh yeah! Model them in a 3 cu. ft. cabinet. They play low AND high. I have four and they will go into two boxes with a horn on top. Baby 4435. They can sound great. Learn how to model them in WinISD. Valuable, free tool. The LE10 is in the database.

HS friend built a fiberglass DIY cabinet (he built surfboards) that fit the LE10A and its 10R passive radiator mate (per box) + LE20 tweeter. He used it in his parent's garage and swimming pool area. Pioneer SX-3700 receiver to power them. Really sounded quite nice. Even in the backyard. :)

Trying to find surrounds that fit the LE10's is near impossible. 99% of what is being sold on line will NOT fit them properly.

I have refoamed my myriad collection including the LE10As. Get the surrounds from Rick Cobb. They are a wonderful woofer. I wish JBL made a 12 inch LE model as good as the LE8, LE10 and LE14. In 2023, they hold up against most modern drivers. Prove me wrong.

I refuse to sell my Le10's they go down to 30 hz and pretty efficiently for a small woofer.
I'm still thinking of ways to use my K110's.
Nope not for a Guitar amp either

Last edited:
I refuse to sell my Le10's they go down to 30 hz and pretty efficiently for a small woofer.
I'm still thinking of ways to use my K110's.
Nope not for a Guitar amp either

!front.jpg

! jbl cab.jpg
My 1962 Fender Tremolux amp with JBL E110 speakers. These are very nice (for lead guitar use) ;)

I'm actually thinking of modding a generic 15" Cabinet
for 2 10's.
I to go with a 69 Fender Bassman amp Head I scored.
at a local Garage sale. At least I can sing out of it, I don't play, but did sing out with a few groups when I could hit the Notes! :rockon:I still have a few Mikes!

I'm actually thinking of modding a generic 15" Cabinet
for 2 10's.
I to go with a 69 Fender Bassman amp Head I scored.
at a local Garage sale. At least I can sing out of it, I don't play, but did sing out with a few groups when I could hit the Notes! :rockon:I still have a few Mikes!

Drip-edge. My favorite silverface Fender amps. :thumbsup:

amp and cab front.jpg
I modified my Bassman head back to the AA864 circuit. Sitting on top of my DIY 2 X 12 cab.

Back
Top Bottom