JBL Model 35 Console Reflex Enclosure L-130B 15" Woofers

So how did the L130B drivers sound? Any idea where they were crossed over? And any idea what you will pair the woofers with? The Morels and / or Audax again, or something else?

So how did the L130B drivers sound?
I felt they sounded pretty good, but I didn't listen all that long, it was more of a test and to see potential.

Any idea where they were crossed over?
I don't know as I'm not a tech, someone else would need to deduct that for me.

And any idea what you will pair the woofers with? The Morels and / or Audax again, or something else?
Well it all depends on positive I'd of the cabinet. The store owner said the seller told him he used to have Altec xovers, and in looking how JBL mounted theirs, I don't see any indication theses had JBL xovers.

We can see staples at 4 points to hold the xover, and 4 holes with colors for the old xover wires. They where 2 way speakers at one point.

IMG_0122.jpg IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0102.jpg IMG_0107.jpg IMG_0106.jpg

I'm struggling with thoughts of just sprucing up and restoring as original. This means trying to keep everything as original as possible or as they used to build these boxes up. I'm a professional finisher, so yeah I can make the cabinets look better than if they came out of the factory today. But part of me wants to keep the patina, age and defects, when the cosmetics are done, one would think it's just a fine example that's never been touched since new.

The same with modding and customizing, there is enough room on the front lip of the cabinet to build a removable speaker screen like they do today and with speakers latter than this. The drivers then can be mounted on the face of the baffle and that should improve SQ, as it is now they have to blow through holes with a 3/4 inch wall and more with the mid I have now. Maybe get better mids and tweeters than I have now, and better than JBL made back in the day. These boxes should have some bracing, and reading the blueprints they did recommend it back in the day if you wanted or needed it.

Sometimes less is more, sometimes looking old and original is more. Sometimes taking a fine cabinet and building a better speaker with all new parts can and will improve SQ.

While the Xover, mids and tweeters have been changed out since these where built new back in the day thats about it. The finish, speaker fabric, insolation/ dampening fiberglass, baffle has never been changed. Really the cosmetics for a speaker built around 45 years ago are great.

Heres a case less is more, I looked at buying new fabric this morning and it doesn't cost much, but it would be new and not exactly the same. I carefully pulled all the staple holding the old fabric to the baffle, and washed it. It turned out pretty clean, not perfect but looks like it supposed to be and as old as the speakers, it looks well maintained for it's age.

Here it is temporarily stretched over the baffle.

IMG_0136.jpg IMG_0135.jpg IMG_0142.jpg IMG_0140.jpg

Fun project that lets you get a little creative and not just conforming to what was.
The value of course is in a near complete cabinet you don't have to build, and that woofer so simply pull in whatever other pieces you want. With some good engineering and adding some bracing you will something nice.

Vintage Speakers with JBL, Audux and Morel Components
Jbl L 130B 15 inch in 32 OHM rare version
Audax 8 inch mid range Pr17hr70
Morel Tweeter MDT 27

I would be tempted to add a modern JBL horn and compression driver to make it an all--JBL frankenspeaker. Unfortunately that might lead to pushing the 130B rather hard...though they may be tough birds and up for any level below stupid loud.

Tough call on how to go...

Good luck!

Fabulous find and project!
If these were mine, I'd try my best to go all JBL drivers. Correct vintage or newer is your call. Tough choices though. I. Usually a purist with vintage. These seem somewhat rare, so. In my mind, originality is what I'd do. You've done a lot of investigative detective work, so you have good knowledge of what period correct drivers would work well.
Regarding the cabs, I like your thinking keeping them original. That grill looks great.
The impact from the 15 inch woofers is something everyone should get to experience!
Looking forward to following along as you progress with these,
Glenn

Ok I took one of my JBL cabinets apart, washed the old oil finish off, refinished it, cleaned the fabric and put it back together. I didn't strip off the old color nor fix imperfections, less is more and you can barely tell I did anything to the finish and I like keeping the fabric original. Earlier in the thread I mentioned that the fabric might have been changed, I now see no indications of that. The only thing I can tell thats been changed is the network to 3 way, and low frequency drivers.

IMG_0148.jpg IMG_0149.jpg

I think right now I'll just be cleaning these up and wait on maybe getting vintage JBL parts. The old original correct parts are going to cost a lot and nothing says the speakers will sound better. However with the right parts it turns these into around $3000+ speakers and most likely quit a bit more.

Last edited:
I. Usually a purist with vintage. These seem somewhat rare, so. In my mind, originality is what I'd do.

Yeah Glen I'll probably be building them as to these instructions as to matched parts.
http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/JBL/...n (Signature - Models 35, 36, 37, 38, 39).pdf

Starting out as a two way with the potato masher 32 ohm 175 and proper dividing network. I can then maybe add the bullet tweeter and it's control box later if I want.

But right now I think they sound good even though they are huge and just dropped in front of my system for testing. Huge near field presentation, actually they really fill the room both in size and music, but also get lost on where the sound is coming from.

This one isn't all shaky.
Sarah Mclachlan : Possession Piano Version, the hidden track at the end of Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
JBL Model 35 Console Reflex Enclosure L-130B ( Sarah Mclachlan

Yeah Glen I'll probably be building them as to these instructions as to matched parts.
http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/JBL/Documenti tecnici/JBL - Enclosure Construction Plan (Signature - Models 35, 36, 37, 38, 39).pdf

Starting out as a two way with the potato masher 32 ohm 175 and proper dividing network. I can then maybe add the bullet tweeter and it's control box later if I want.

But right now I think they sound good even though they are huge and just dropped in front of my system for testing. Huge near field presentation, actually they really fill the room both in size and music, but also get lost on where the sound is coming from.
http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/JBL/Documenti tecnici/JBL - Enclosure Construction Plan (Signature - Models 35, 36, 37, 38, 39).pdf

This is how the L200's sound in my small listening space in the basement. Simple two way. Love the power and presence.
Some have modded the 200's to 300's, but I'm not inclined to do it. They sound so good as they are in their original state.
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom