JBL p/u today everything i need to look for

sx1010JBL

I dont want to dissasemble them on the spot, but dont want to forget anything. Thoughts?
Thank you
I just asked again for a pic with the grill removed.... and...wala !?

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3926.PNG
    IMG_3926.PNG
    233.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Must be words missing - I don't get the question ...

if you are looking to buy a pair of speakers, take along some favorite Cds and play tracks you know to see how they sound.
If the seller doesn't have an amp, take along an integrated amp and cd player, or even your phone/iPad and some Lossless tracks (not MP3s)
I have one of those small T-amps for field testing!
Take a card board tube from a roll of paper towels with you so you can isolate each driver in the cabinet and make sure they play well.

Take off the front grill and visually identify that the components actually match-up to whatever model you think these are.

index.php

Since I see a pair of aftermarket knobs that JBL never-ever used / are you really that confident you're actually buying JBL ?

Pig-in-a-Poke ???

:)

There are at least two jbl speakers that use that same cabinet design, the L55 and the L65. The L65 jubal has an entirely different driver loadout and is worth significantly more. Because those terminals are not original I would make sure to pull the grills and visually confirm what drivers are in there.

Update: Those were a set of L55 speakers. The cabs have been hacked up to fit in the horns and crossover which look to be possibly EV brand, the smaller horn looks like an EV T35a and maybe a T10a for the bigger one. The Le14a woofers still look good but that lansaloy surround is a pain to deal with and the gap between the magnet and voice coil is very small on those drivers so they are tough to refoam. Brake fluid can be used to soften up the lansaloy but if it is at all cracked it needs to be replaced with a normal foam surround. I don't know how they'll sound with the horns but I would say not worth the trouble of dealing with unless you're picking them up for very cheap.

Last edited:
Must be words missing - I don't get the question ...

if you are looking to buy a pair of speakers, take along some favorite Cds and play tracks you know to see how they sound.
If the seller doesn't have an amp, take along an integrated amp and cd player, or even your phone/iPad and some Lossless tracks (not MP3s)
I have one of those small T-amps for field testing!
Take a card board tube from a roll of paper towels with you so you can isolate each driver in the cabinet and make sure they play well.
There are at least two jbl speakers that use that same cabinet design, the L55 and the L65. The L65 jubal has an entirely different driver loadout and is worth significantly more. Because those terminals are not original I would make sure to pull the grills and visually confirm what drivers are in there.

Update: Those were a set of L55 speakers. The cabs have been hacked up to fit in the horns and crossover which look to be possibly EV brand, the smaller horn looks like an EV T35a and maybe a T10a for the bigger one. The Le14a woofers still look good but that lansaloy surround is a pain to deal with and the gap between the magnet and voice coil is very small on those drivers so they are tough to refoam. Brake fluid can be used to soften up the lansaloy but if it is at all cracked it needs to be replaced with a normal foam surround. I don't know how they'll sound with the horns but I would say not worth the trouble of dealing with unless you're picking them up for very cheap.
t

Thank you j-wes! I now know why the hesitation on getting a grill removed pic. You are spot on!
Thank you all. I decided to pass on them. They were taken to a speaker shop years ago when the “work” was done. The search will continue for a replacement for the 4312b’s. No hurry.

No problem, glad I could help. I was rightly afraid they were going to be butchered when I saw those crossovers.

Back
Top Bottom