JBL re-introducing the L-100

I totally get why you say that, Joe, but I am constantly amazed at the volume (if not the quality) of those higher-end Bluetooth speakers. For their size, they really put out some major sound. They're also pretty well made.
I see in your avatar 4450's.....amazing ain't they. Nothing plays as big as large JBL and Altec Monitors.

That is total garbage that speaker. Bluetooth and other portables are ruining audio imo

I actually heard those L8 and for a Blue tooth speaker, it is actually very good. Sadly it is on the expensive side

and yes, it is not for everybody, specially the members of this site :)

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. By the way l worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting recording studios. The L100 was based on the 4311 the most famous pro monitor ever made. More music in the 60's and 70's was mastered using 4311 then any other loudspeaker. Radio shack speakers sound better??? Really.

That is the same guy that thinks that a pair of 8in cones has more area than a single 12in cone....

That said, no need to pay much attention to that guy.

Yep if it's American-made craftsmanship through and through there's a quality that can't be replicated.
Like food made by Loving Hands it definitely taste better.
Products that are handmade in the United States by Craftsman are definitely better than any product that is mass-produced by a people oppressed and enslaved by a government.
The people assembling products in factories that reside in lands where the people are forced to work for little to nothing and have heavy demands placed upon them to produce vast quantities in high rates of production will NEVER be able to produce a product that has the same elements of craftsmanship and quality like can be done in the land of the free and Home of the Brave.

As an "American" (emigrated from Mexico at an early age) craftsman myself for the past 40 years, I can say that "American Craftsmanship" is a thing of the past. Gone are the high school shop classes and government funded trade schools. Just about any manufacturing facility is either automated or manned by untrained and un-unionized labor. "Made in China" is no longer something to look down your nose at. Their mass produced products can be as good as anything made right here.

True craftsmen, whether they are natural born Americans or immigrants are working in boutique shops making custom furniture and the like. They are not mass producing things like JBL speakers.

Last edited:
As an "American" (emigrated from Mexico at an early age) craftsman myself for the past 40 years, I can say that "American Craftsmanship" is a thing of the past. Gone are the high school shop classes and government funded trade schools. Just about any manufacturing facility is either automated or manned by untrained and un-unionized labor. "Made in China" is no longer something to look down your nose at. Their mass produced products can be as good as anything made right here.

True craftsmen, whether they are natural born Americans or immigrants are working in boutique shops making custom furniture and the like. They are not mass producing things like JBL speakers.
Yes Sir...
It's a Brave New World for sure ...there are more facets to the way things are today in The United States and globally, but I miss the old American Craftsmanship & how the whole world had men and women that were Skilled at many Trades and worked at a slower more deliberate & careful pace to Make Good's of High Quality.

Of course not. Those are now made in Mexico!

If it is the new L100's you're referring to, whether they're made In Mexico or the USA, the process is the same...

American Designers...
American Management...
Mexican Workers.

I have no problem with that as long as the workers have good working conditions and adequate pay.

There are many American made products - and Chinese made products that are very high quality. Klipsch Heritage speakers, for example, are very high quality. I recently purchased a pair of Forte III speakers and they have excellent craftsmanship. I am looking forward to purchasing a pair the the new L100 Classics ---- when they come out. Where are they??????

I think it will be interesting to compare the Klipsch Forte III's to the new L100 Classics - very similar in approach. The L100's are a little more expensive, the Forte's are larger, both have 12" woofers, both are three way designs, the Forte's use horns, Forte's have a passive radiator instead of a port, Forte's are more efficient. But ---- they are both updates of vintage speakers in walnut veneer boxes with rather similar sonic approaches.

Maybe it's my monitor, but the grill looks too bright to me. I like the original "burnt orange" much better...

JBL_L100.jpg

Thinking back to the 70's, there was a lot of smoke emanating from bongs and such during that period which may have contributed to coloration of many a pair of L100's...:beatnik:

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. By the way l worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting recording studios. The L100 was based on the 4311 the most famous pro monitor ever made. More music in the 60's and 70's was mastered using 4311 then any other loudspeaker. Radio shack speakers sound better??? Really.
Joe - Botrytis’ knowledge metric is his post count ... infamous for coming into a thread at which a healthy, educational exchange is occurring, craps all over it in an effort to exert superiority, and then disappears once challenged.

Thinking back to the 70's, there was a lot of smoke emanating from bongs and such during that period which may have contributed to coloration of many a pair of L100's...:beatnik:

I never really thought about it at the time, but maybe subconsciously I did. When the salesman said grab a box of your choice, (the grilles were packed in separate boxes.) I picked the brown ones. Pre-smoke stained. Good thing, 'cause I remember that first apartment I had in the late '70s...:smoke:...and I've never been a cigarette smoker...;)

It could explain, however, why so many 70s rock recordings sound thin when played on speakers which do have good first octave response and lack the mid bass peak.
I don't recall anyone planars or electrostats in the studio...except Cat Stevens. What Floyd Toole forgot about designing loudspeakers most designers will never learn.

There are many American made products - and Chinese made products that are very high quality. Klipsch Heritage speakers, for example, are very high quality. I recently purchased a pair of Forte III speakers and they have excellent craftsmanship. I am looking forward to purchasing a pair the the new L100 Classics ---- when they come out. Where are they??????
Harmon store in NYC

Back
Top Bottom