JBL re-introducing the L-100

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by jberger, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. johnlcnm

johnlcnm Active Member

Yep. 4429s are sleepers in the JBL lineup. You want reference, stunning detail, mids, voices, lows, brass that sounds like brass.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

@Jbl Joe - man, I'd LOVE to hear those with my Mc gear!!

3. Jbl Joe

Jbl Joe Active Member

Amen...well worth the $1000 premium over the L 100. But then again the studio monitors are what l sold for JBL. The pro models were always no compromise models. Dead accurate. Fools thought them to be bright. But what they were hearing was true flat response. Not hi fi speaker dips and valleys and that damn BBC midrange suck out. Just listen to Tannoys

Zonker92 and SaturationPt like this.
  4. scoloheros

scoloheros Well-Known Member

Can't get my self to read 25 pages of comments, all I have to say is that $4000 is probably a reasonable price for the improved design and engineering, over a product that was hard to beat to start from. Really good speakers today go for $5,000-$10,000. And, these are probably really good. I have the funds but I'm cheap at the same time, what a conundrum! I'm one of those dooods that goes to 5 thrift stores in a day and then tops that off with going to Wholefoods for groceries. Who am I? I'm confused.

SaturationPt and Zonker92 like this.
  5. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

Sounds like the kind of guy who'd drive a Mercedes, ... diesel.

nedseg likes this.
  6. Jbl Joe

Jbl Joe Active Member

Do yourseif a favor and go hear the 2 side by side. I worked with both Floyd Toole and Chris Hagen for years at JBL. The 4429 is faaar superior to the L 100. Judge for yourself.

7. scoloheros

I drive a wrecked 1999 Toyota Prerunner I bought new, first new vehicle I ever bought, never had a credit card. My philosophy is that even if you do have some $, it's best to look like you don't, then people leave you alone. I got talked into borrowing $2000 from my dad back in the 80s when he wanted to sell me his 1982 RX7. I felt like I was enslaved so I didn't borrow money again, I've never made a whole of $ either. That truck just keeps on going.

I've never heard the 4429, are you confident it would beat the new L100s?

8. Jbl Joe

Jbl Joe Active Member

Absolutely. The 4429 uses a better woofer and compression drivers for the mids and highs. IMO they sound much more dynamic and linear than the L 100. When I heard them side by side driven by the same Levinson monoblocks, JBL removed the 4429 from the room at CES because the 4429 was garnering all the attention. Enough said.

nedseg likes this.
  9. scoloheros

OK, that's good info, don't tell anybody. JBL not happy with jbl Joe right now, in promoting the new L100 anyway. But I guess it's a win-win situation anyway for them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. Jenkster

Jenkster Jim Capaldi Subscriber

I was lucky to find a very nice pair of 4312a’s in walnut. Great sounding speakers! I do have the grills that are in excellent condition.

Attached Files:

xero-D-hero likes this.
  11. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

You have them paired with the Yamaha A-S 701? Curious to know how the new 4312 match with the new Yamaha amps.

12. Jenkster

Jenkster Jim Capaldi Subscriber

I think they make a great pairing. Very accurate lows, smooth mid-range and the 701 has a laid back high end that works well with the ti dome tweets. Occasionally I will use my Boston Acoustics PV1000 sub, depending on the music. It just rounds out the lower octaves especially when using “Pure Direct/CD Direct” mode.