JBL Studio 530s are in the vinyl room...............

They're one of Greg Timbers' last designs. Congratulations! I've only heard the big ones, but a pair of those with a nice sub or two would be hard to beat.

These are "recording studio" speakers. I just finished Fleetfoxes debut LP, Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl and Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments, and the bride was speechless (and I was over-whelmed). They have obsoleted several speakers in this house........damn.

Don't screw around with trying to buy old L-100s or L112s, 'cause these little speakers will kick them to the curb, so to speak.

Yesterday, I removed the grills for the first time and listened to a few LPs. Certainly, their ability to spread the stereo image in 3D like presentation is very impressive and they also seem to be true to the source being fed to them. A good "demo" recording certainly will show off the speakers. Coining the term "recording studio" may be a bit over the top, but they do share the same build techniques and philosophies as their professional big brothers do.

I also own the Studio 580s which incorporate the same symbiotic HF horn, but also feature 2 6.5" mid/bass drivers in a rear ported cabinet, crossed over at 1,500 hz.
jbl_studio_580_1.jpg

Mine are in black.

I also run a pair of Studio 230s, also in black.
studio230bk_001_dvHAMaster.jpg

My interest is definitely piqued. If I had a pair, I'd look at putting some fancy veneer on them, right over the vinyl. Have you taken a peek at the crossovers yet?

I have the technical data sheet on them. It's one very complicated cross-over. I haven't figured it all out yet.

BTW, I adjusted the toe-in angle today. I use the shelf edge that they are on as a datum plane, and have one front corner on the edge and the other corner back 2.125". They are perfectly symmetrical in my listening room. Apparently, its very important that these speakers are aligned with such precision as they took on a new, even more impressive "3D" presentation. Today's playlist was Depeche Mode - Black Celebration, Steele Dan - Aja and America - self titled. All three were perhaps the best I have ever heard. It's like the left speaker connected to the right speaker in some mystical maneuver and now magic spews forth. I'm not making this stuff up. The wife looked at me when the last LP was finished and just gave me this look of disbelief.

I don't use the 580s for vinyl at the moment, only digital and mostly as part of my AV system (4.1). I haven't put much time on them listening to CDs, but for movie or TV watching, they are more then adequate.

I don't use the 580s for vinyl at the moment, only digital and mostly as part of my AV system (4.1). I haven't put much time on them listening to CDs, but for movie or TV watching, they are more then adequate.

please take the time to do this, you're in a unique situation to give an accurate A/B with both speakers in the same acoustic space, with the same amplification, etc etc.

I was first amazed by a jbl 2 way with a tractrix horn and a small 4-6" bass driver back in the eighties. I bought them for my brother, but they instantly made me fall in love with them because everything from them sounded so... right.
Something about this particular series JBL really calls to me, especially their aesthetics.

I can't do that. There is no room in the vinyl room to locate the 580s, and nowhere to place the vinyl playback system in the digital room. The 580s are a very capable speaker system and they are voiced to match the 530s or other 5 series speakers (Greg Timbers, designer). The 580s have a 1" symbiotic driver with (2) 6.5 mid/bass drivers, spec'd to reach the 40hz on the low end, 40k on the high end (I think they share the same HF driver), 200 watt RMS power rating. If you need more power and lower bottom end (35hz), then the 100 pound Studio 590 might be the ticket, but it is a huge beast.

The whole Studio line is on blow out pricing right now at jbl.com Just picked up a pair of 530's for 299.00 . The 590's are on sale for 413 each, and the 580's will run you 319 each....with free shipping!!!

Speakers arrived Friday. Hooked them up Saturday and am quite impressed. Very clear highs and a lot of clean sound for such small speakers. Glad I found this thread!

Studio 530's...highly recommended for a small room or a 5.1 AV system.

I am totally with you on the 530. I purchased a pair after reading many glowing reviews and was blown away. I heard things in recordings (music) that I had never heard before. I liked them so much I purchased a second pair. Amazing.

Now have 100 hours on the 530's...........broken in, and they sound absolutly amazing..........getting the 590's the second they go on sale. What an amazing design for such an affordible price. jbl.com

Back
Top Bottom