Jennings research speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by alexd71, Mar 21, 2011.

1. alexd71

alexd71 New Member

Does anyone out there know anything about these speakers?
    I heard them in a repair shop.They sound pretty good.

Sorry for the poor picture.
    The bottom is a base that swivels.

Attached Files:

2. vtomike

vtomike AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a pair of their bookshelf model. Contrara I think. Peerless tweeters that sound pretty good. Not many around. They were made in So. Cal.
  3. tubed

tubed Addicted Member

Those have two 8" woofers with the buty rubberl surrounds and like vtomike said, a nice soft dome Peerless tweeter..and they do sound nice.
    They do have a good build quality and the pair I had, had beautiful "parquet" veener
    The swivel can come in handy for positioning. Have fun!
  4. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

In about 1978 I bought a pair of Jennings Contrara Elan, with 2 8" drivers a mid and a tweeter plus the swivel base. I still have them, though they went out of favour several years ago. More recently, I decided to resurrect them and in particular renewed the gasket between the drivers and the cabinet so that manually moving one of the drivers moves the other. Over Christmas, I set them up against some AR9s, JBL 4311b, Rogers P22 and Altec model 9s and to my surprise liked them second only to the AR9s. I think a very underrated speaker.
  5. JarredCrowe

JarredCrowe AK's drunk troublemaker

I have a pair that need new tweets (don't ask why :/ ) and agree they tend to fly under the radar. It's probably because they're fairly uncommon, especially the further away from caifornia you are. My family is even involved in jennings research story a bit, but that's a tale for another time.
  6. Nat

Nat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think Jennings was a manager or sales manager at JBL before going out on his own. Nice looking speakers that had a good reputation at the time.
  7. alexd71

alexd71 New Member

I went ahead and picked them up ($150) and have them hooked up to a Marantz 2270. I think they sound beautiful. I turned them up and am amazed at how clear they sound. Mine are the Contrara and are only 2-way, but the mid is there. I think it was a good call.
  8. Danimal

Danimal Just a man... Subscriber

I know where there is a pair of Jennings Contrara Rectangle MK-I in walnut cabinets for a real decent price. Seller claims the are mint. I should probably post it in D & S so someone could grab them, hey?

9. nissan guy

nissan guy AK Subscriber Subscriber

saw those on cl as well. Looks like the owner has a bit of other gear as well.