Jensen Model 4 vs. AR-2AX

Alex_S

Hi gang,

I have a "dilemma"... I have a pair of each of the above speakers, both of which bought at reasonable prices.

Haven't lugged either of them up to my only system for any operational testing yet, but am eager to try to polish and refurb them. I can't find much info on Jensen Model 4s... the AR-2AXs are first-generation cloth surrounds, which are in great shape.

Any thoughts on what folks prefer out there?

Thanks!

Alex

Hey Alex, I am mostly an AR guy, but I've recently started to get interested in this era of Jensen speakers. This is one of those questions that only you can decide - - - AK member XYZ might state a particularly strong preference for the Jensens; and then AK member PQR will rebut with a love for all things AR. Then.....where does that leave you? Why don't you wire them up, have a listen, evaluate their condition, post some pics and initial opinions, and then this conversation might really give you some meat to chew on.

Thanks, ra.ra — you're of course totally right. Interested to get initial impressions but I should have some time this week to play them both and will report back...!

Because there is so much knowledge available on this (and other) online forums, it would be ridiculous to suggest for you to not consider others' opinions and experience. However, rather than develop your own initial opinions based on internet hearsay, my recommendation is to throw yourself right into the testing and evaluating in order to begin to understand your own listening preferences and methods of judgement - - this way, the assistance you receive will be more suitably tailored toward your own subjective goals.

I've had the AR2ax and the Jensen Model 5 (same as the Model 4 but with an extra midrange).

I preferred the AR's hands down. Ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom