jgordon’s next turntable

I really don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I gotta ask. :D

Can you suggest an LED replacement for the strobe light?

Is something like this possible?

3C911F5147860A5D3E49B5EE76936109.jpg

Is your MKII modded for LED now?

JP it was probably not exposed to humidity or salt air for long by the looks of the Mk3 in the photo, some tables I'v seen were really bad, one was a L07D from Nantucket.

Is your MKII modded for LED now?
The previous owner had an LED attached with a resistor coming off the 5V part of the PCB:
IMG_4225_zpsg3znmu2e.jpg

IMG_4223_zpsk2ywhrd8.jpg

I removed this and set up a bulb instead, like original setup:
IMG_4346_zps0kez9f4e.jpg

IMG_4345_zpstkuvdbrt.jpg

However, the bulb is starting to flicker. Plus, I was never really happy with its overall light dispersion and brightness. Nothing at all like the strobe in the OP (pic 1).

So, I want to change back to LED and want maximum light dispersion (I'd like to see more than two or three strobe platter markings) and maximum brightness which is the reason for my question on post #16, but these are fuse-type and are 12V LED's.

:idea:

Few minutes of work tonight tearing the controller down. Tomorrow, capacitor shopping!

IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg

Are there specific problems or are you doing a general refresh before calibration and diagnosis of any major issues?

The buttons on the motor chassis don't work, and it's running really rough at faster speeds - a bit TD-124ish at 78. I don't generally recommend shotgun recaps as part of repairing specific problems, but as I'm going to do it anyway and there's little chance of me causing other issues in doing so, that'll be my first step here.

0.0 is exactly the same value as 0.000

It's correct for 0.049 to be 0.0.

If the question is directed at me, yes. It's running smooth as silk. Steady speed. No issues. Just looking for more vibrant strobe lighting.

Do you remember how to mod it back to LED? I'll send you a pic of a MK3 strobe setup. Usually a perf board with multiple LEDs is easy and works best.

Do you remember how to mod it back to LED? I'll send you a pic of a MK3 strobe setup. Usually a perf board with multiple LEDs is easy and works best.
Is it by re-attaching the wires to the 5V & N2 solder joints (my pic 1 above)?

Technics boards have a rather annoying coating on them that loves to contaminate solder joints, so the first step is to clean it off.

IMG_0946.jpg

Next I inspect the solder joints, and deal with any that look poor. Being anal this also includes joints with poorly formed solder filets, usually from excess solder. Having survived 30+ years they will likely never cause an issue, but they are technically improper and could cause cracking at the trace.

IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg

And then a bit of a clean-up after dealing with the caps. One down, three to go.

IMG_0955.jpg

Back
Top Bottom