Jico D6800EEE-S Arrived Damaged?

Serenosan

Hi all,

New member, first time posting. I’ve been using this forum for a while now and figured it was time to become a full-fledged member! Thank you to everyone here.

After extensive research, I decided to pull the trigger on the Jico D6800EEE-S stylus for my Stanton cart. It arrived this past Saturday (9.15.2018), and it sounds great.

Question/concern though - I believe it came damaged. The cantilever seems slightly off-center and the shaft (?) looks slightly crushed. I was upset because the Jico gets rave reviews around here. Although it still sounds good, I’m still a little concerned.

I included a couple pictures. Comments/advice?

70FEBAF7-E767-4C68-AEFA-DEFA1905AB8D.png C7CD6669-99DA-489B-B6EC-57E76C73CBD1.png 42755B89-7422-4168-85B8-6141159D45B0.png C009F517-502D-418F-87C5-C49D82E6A8E2.png

As stated above, you can also align the cantilever with your set up to be inline with the protractor. That's if Jico or LPGear don't do anything about it.

Hi all,

New member, first time posting. I’ve been using this forum for a while now and figured it was time to become a full-fledged member! Thank you to everyone here.

After extensive research, I decided to pull the trigger on the Jico D6800EEE-S stylus for my Stanton cart. It arrived this past Saturday (9.15.2018), and it sounds great.

Question/concern though - I believe it came damaged. The cantilever seems slightly off-center and the shaft (?) looks slightly crushed. I was upset because the Jico gets rave reviews around here. Although it still sounds good, I’m still a little concerned.

View attachment 1285558 View attachment 1285559 View attachment 1285560 View attachment 1285561

Welcome to the AK community!

Kinda depends. As needlestein alluded to... is there channel imbalance as a result? If there is I'd send her packing. If not, sometimes these things straighten themselves out over time and playing. If it were me I'd give some time to break in before I did anything.

Hi all,

Since you are upset with the "crushed" and "damaged" product, send back it as it is without using it.

Do not use it any further. :no:

Ask for a replacement that is acceptable.

Even the best make mistakes sometime.

Thanks! So the “crushed” shaft is okay? When I first took it out I noticed it, but thought maybe that’s just design/how it should be. Doesn’t hurt to ask!

Kinda depends. As needlestein alluded to... is there channel imbalance as a result? If there is I'd send her packing. If not, sometimes these things straighten themselves out over time and playing. If it were me I'd give some time to break in before I did anything.

No imbalance. The sound is fantastic - I just happened to overthink it and wanted to ask about it just in case I shouldn’t be using it/damaging records/etc.

Maybe all it needs is some break in time like you said!

Great cartridge! One of the best sounding cartridges ever made!!!!

The slight crush in the shaft is where the suspension wire is soldered into place at the rear. That’s a cut in the shaft that is then pushed to make a small opening that the tie wire is diverted through and soldered.

The cantilever is definitely a little bit crooked judging by those photos, but unless it causes channel imbalance it’s probably nothing to worry about. But you might want to contact LPGear or Jico anyway. I mean, the thing isn’t exactly cheap and you’d expect a little better quality control. It just needs a tweak by a skilled person with some tweezers, most likely.

Thanks! So the “crushed” shaft is okay? When I first took it out I noticed it, but thought maybe that’s just design/how it should be. Doesn’t hurt to ask!

I would send Jico or the distributor a much better closeup shot of the cantilever and offset nature of the shaft and ask them if they think it is acceptable or good enough. Then, depending on what they say, post the answer here.

I wouldn't be happy with it, that's for sure.

So Jico got back to me. They were under the impression that I didn't receive the brush with my stylus (I did, I just took it off). They said to send back the "defective product without the brush."

They said they are shipping a replacement to me on September 25, and will cover my shipping costs. They said to take a picture of my receipt and they'll refund it.

So -- although there may be a misunderstanding, it looks like I'm getting a fresh new stylus, and now I'll have an extra brush (don't use it, but doesn't hurt to have!). Now I can have peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom