JICO/EVG--What's Up?

@malden , do the packages the needles arrive in include all of the stylus design specs and tracking force details? I guess one could just return the needle if the specs, on arrival, were not what one wanted. It would be a big pain in the butt of course that could be avoided if it was easy to find this info on the website.

That's correct, JICO does not include specs with the stylus. You have to ask and they will email complete specs for each type of stylus.

I may be a cheapskate, but I'm a high-information shopper, so that policy of theirs does not endear them to me one bit. If I find one day that they sell something I just can't live without, they will first have to answer some emails before I get serious. *** Do you hear that, JICO! :| ***

I may be a cheapskate, but I'm a high-information shopper, so that policy of theirs does not endear them to me one bit. If I find one day that they sell something I just can't live without, they will first have to answer some emails before I get serious. *** Do you hear that, JICO! :| ***

Agreed.
Their products may be impressive but their website isn't. I don't understand the lack of spec and other basic information either.:dunno: You would think that listing it would actually save them the trouble of having to answer a bunch of emails. They make sure to post positive reviews of their products right where you can see them, though.:rolleyes:

What they do seems to work okay for some of us. However, as a broad generalization, I think US consumers are used to better.

Detailed information helps sell products. Shure was one of the companies that I feel truly understood this back in the day. They wrote up long essays on trackability, stylus life and record wear. (Although, I would say they heavily sensationalized some of their claims regarding tracking force and record wear.) They provided graphs, diagrams, and microscope photos. They published detailed specs for every model including trackability rating, and even pressed test records to confirm and compare results!

Other companies, like Stanton and ADC provided serial numbered products with spec sheets matching that individual product!

I can understand someone having owned such a cartridge being a little reluctant to buy a replacement stylus with no published specs, not even one for tracking force.

How hard is it, really? I think Jico would move far more product if they would make this small adjustment to their business model.

Another company with a similar lack of information is Grado. I don't quite understand why they aren't a little more forthcoming with information, especially regarding tip profile. They hand out the same generic spec sheet for their entire line of Prestige cartridges, and really don't do a great job of lining out the exact differences found at each color level. Recently, they released the Prestige2 line, which is legitimately quite good. You'd think they'd be shouting from the rooftops, but no. Whatever. :crazy:

I guess these companies are relying on word of mouth, and are hoping we'll blab. Well, here we are, I guess.

This is all kind of tedious. JICO provides a great service. Until I found them, I was stuck with the garbage EVG, Pfanstiehl and Ed Saunders were trying to pass off as "replacements". None of them were as good as my aging original Shure styli. I was considering mothballing my Shure cartridges but thanks to forums like this with some astute posters who put their money where their mouths are, I did the same and will never look back. I keep those cheapies for playing abused records and save my originals and JICO's for the records I care about.

Last edited:
This is all kind of tedious. JICO provides a great service. Until I found them, I was stuck with the garbage EVG, Pfanstiehl and Ed Saunders were trying to pass off as "replacements". None of them were as good as my aging original Shure styli. I was considering mothballing my Shure cartridges but thanks to forums like this with some astute posters who put their money where their mouths are, I did the same and will never look back. I keep those cheapies for playing abused records and save my originals and JICO's for the records I care about.

That's not Ed Saunders though. From memory its Trish Horne cashing in on the Ed Saunders name

That's not Ed Saunders though. From memory its Trish Horne cashing in on the Ed Saunders name

Yes I know. I had an interesting exchange with her a while ago. She doesn't have much knowledge about what she sells.

Yes I know. I had an interesting exchange with her a while ago. She doesn't have much knowledge about what she sells.

On the upside Googling for information on Ed Saunders styli will bring up the AK thread discussing her business practice of reselling cheap styli for top dollar. Only lazy shoppers should be scammed. Unfortunately I sourced a stylus shortly before that thread. Sounded nice, if it didn't have terrible sibilance it would have been worth it. As it was, it was unusable.

There's an example of poor customer service and an inferior product, plenty of material there for some to complain about.

Here's a quote from an old thread . AK member Noisemodule , a Jico representative, chimed in on the Jico websites lack of info:

Hi Everyone,

Seth here (foreign guy at JICO). This is a great thread and I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and opinions. For the record, the opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of JICO. I'll be as honest as I can, though I may not be able to address all concerns. Now that I've got the disclaimer out of the way...

(TL/DR: I am well aware of the many issues regarding JICO's website as well as the general lack of reliable information regarding replacement styli. Please PM or, better yet, send an inquiry through JICO's website if you have specific suggestions for what we can do better.)

Regarding JICO's website: The first time I saw it, I thought "Oh, this is not bad. Looks fairly well organised, usable, etc." (These were my thoughts in comparison to the average Japanese language website, which is about 20 years out of date.) Fast forward a few years and, well...even if it is only 10 years out of date, it is still rapidly aging.

The OP makes an excellent point about the information (or lack thereof) for each stylus. This is a point I have expressed repeatedly to the management. Unfortunately the amount of work that needs to be done in order to do this is a massive undertaking. A lot of cataloging and re-confirming on the back end and on the front end, basically an entire re-design of the website from the ground up.

Every chance I get I try to impress upon the management the need for better organisation, easier access to information, cross referencing, improved UX, modern GUI integrated for desktop and mobile platforms, etc. Essentially more efficient methods of serving our customers. I hope that my constant nagging will eventually bump some of these issues to the top of the priority list.

That about sums up the situation with JICO's web shop. If I were an unbiased customer looking to buy a stylus online, unless it was something special (like the SAS or maybe a Shibata or Hyper-elliptical) I would probably look elsewhere.

As far as I know, I can confirm that VividLine are not manufactured by JICO.

Additionally:
-All JICO elliptical tips are 0.3 x 0.7 mil
-All JICO conical tips are 0.6 mil
-Shibata tips should conform to one of the two Shibata patents, as far as tip radius dimensions and cuts/angles
-Hyper-elliptical tip dimensions vary by model. AFAIK, we try to match or approximate the dimensions of the original.
(There may be some instances where this is not the case.)
-All JICO styli, except the SAS, are bonded.
As I understand, this means the diamond tip is mounted on a substrate which is then inserted through the aluminum cantilever and then secured with adhesive. Some have speculated that the SAS is bonded because of the (very evident) use of adhesive/solder/bonding agent surrounding the tip. My understanding is that the SAS is nude mounted, meaning the diamond tip and/or cantilever are abraded and then the tip is bonded directly to the cantilever with adhesive. The additional material surrounding the tip is (and this is only my assumption) necessary to further support the tip and prevent torquing so that the facets of the diamond remain in proper orientation. Please feel free to challenge this assumption if anyone has other/more reliable information.

I cannot speculate on the quality of diamonds. As for quality control, I can say the every stylus ordered directly from JICO's web shop is individually inspected and tested before they are shipped. When they leave the factory, they should absolutely meet JICO specification. (Which is ostensibly why they are not offered under warranty. That's a whole other conversation though.) Manufacturers supplying bulk orders to wholesale customers cannot meet the same level of individual testing and inspection.

The other issue here is how these products are distributed, marketed, and packaged. There is a lot of speculation as to which brands or retailers are selling styli produced by which manufactures. There are 3 manufacturers of replacement stylus (that I know of) in Japan which distribute their products as "generic".

These products change hands several times before they reach the consumer. In the process, there is no universal method employed to track a particular item's provenance. Some distributors may source more or less identical parts from multiple manufacturers and group them under a single item/product number. Others may source only a particular model number from a particular manufacturer, or they may have multiple sources but maintain separate product numbers. I do not have enough solid information to back this up, so take that for what it's worth.

Either way, the product number may change from manufacturer to wholesaler to jobber to retailer. Or it may only change at one stage in the supply chain. Even if the product number is changed only from manufacturer to wholesaler and maintained down the line, every reseller after the wholesaler does not necessarily know the manufacturer of the product or their information may be muddled, obscured, or otherwise corrupted. It's a sort of telephone game, one that I personally find extremely irritating.

For example, a retailer who gets model X from a wholesaler may get products from Manufacturer A and B, but only have information from the wholesaler that model X is made by manufacturer A. Therefor they mistakenly market model X as manufactured by company A, not realizing the same model is also produced by B.

This isn't to say that rebranded "generic" styli are not good quality. Some are, others maybe not, as many people have experienced. Nor is this to say that particular brands or resellers are unreliable. The problem is simply that people do not know what exactly they are being sold. That information is either intentionally obfuscated or assumptions are made about provenance down the supply chain which are not necessarily accurate. Perhaps it used to be that the majority of end users did not care about the details. It seems that more and more, the end user requires a level of transparency that the industry is slow to adopt.

The other side of the problem, for JICO, is that among both resellers and end users, the lack of transparency and information causes confusion as to whether JICO is a brand of replacement stylus (it is) or a manufacturer of "generic" parts for private label wholesalers. So people equate styli reputedly "made by JICO" to be the same as JICO branded products. Nippon Precision Jewel Industry is the manufacturer, JICO is the brand, and anything sold as "JICO" that is not labeled as such on the package should be regarded with caution.

Mr. Jones: What information/specifications would you like to see listed for JICO's products? What suggestions do you have for a better web shopping experience? Feel free to cite examples if that would help.

Killer Fox: Any advice or help you might be willing to offer in your expertise as a web designer would be appreciated. I can't promise anything, but it is always helpful to have the voice of our customers to back up my opinions when appealing to the management to make changes.

bjlefebvre, boreas, and all the other posters: thanks again for your kind words, constructive criticism, insights and opinions. Any time you have questions, please feel free to ask. I sincerely appreciate any feedback I can get.

Sorry for the long rant...I really need to do more outreach and post on AK more often.

I've been extremely satisfied with my JICO SAS for my V15Vx since I bought it 2009. When the prices dropped in december 2017, I ordered a neoSAS/R from JICO which arrived. However, the fit was really tight and needed some force to be put into the body, very unlike my original boron. When removing the stylus the plastic part with the brush came off the stylus. I've since then been sending mails and pictures of the stylus and got one response in January, that they would look into my case. Since then I've not got any more response, despite several attempts to remind them.

I also suspect that the bad fit was due to that the glue blob at the set screw was overfilled, and showed them pictures of that compared to my old SAS. There is no other explanation that I can see when comparing the stylii. I am hesitant if I ever will get any answer from them, but I have not given up yet.

Since then I've ordered one new SAS/boron from LPGear that still has not arrived. It appears as if the packet has dissappeared on its journey to me. USPS is looking into that and I hope that it will be found and finally sent to me. I really hope this will not fail also.

New broken neoSAS stylus with glue blob:

S20180120_001.jpg

Old SAS boron with much less glue:
S20180120_002.jpg

I've been extremely satisfied with my JICO SAS for my V15Vx since I bought it 2009. When the prices dropped in december 2017, I ordered a neoSAS/R from JICO which arrived. However, the fit was really tight and needed some force to be put into the body, very unlike my original boron. When removing the stylus the plastic part with the brush came off the stylus. I've since then been sending mails and pictures of the stylus and got one response in January, that they would look into my case. Since then I've not got any more response, despite several attempts to remind them.

I also suspect that the bad fit was due to that the glue blob at the set screw was overfilled, and showed them pictures of that compared to my old SAS. There is no other explanation that I can see when comparing the stylii. I am hesitant if I ever will get any answer from them, but I have not given up yet.

Since then I've ordered one new SAS/boron from LPGear that still has not arrived. It appears as if the packet has dissappeared on its journey to me. USPS is looking into that and I hope that it will be found and finally sent to me. I really hope this will not fail also.

New broken neoSAS stylus with glue blob:

S20180120_001.jpg

Old SAS boron with much less glue:
S20180120_002.jpg

I have three Shure V15 V's , two of them were made in USA and the other in Mexico. The first time I replaced the stylus on the Mexico body, I had to force it in. When I removed it a year or so later, I took a look at the stylus shank and cartridge body with a magnifying glass and realized that the end of the shank had gotten hung up on one of the pressure plates inside the cartridge body deforming it. The same thing happened years later with a M25C, Shure's bottom of the barrel DJ cartridge.

By the looks of the stylus shank in your first photo, there is a crimp at the end of the shank which may indicate it too got stuck on one of the pressure plates. Just a guess.

I hope that Jico's hookup with LpGear/LpTunes will have Jico selling their branded styli on the LP Tunes site, with complete transparency and in Jico branded boxes. I'm not holding my breath as this whole industry's motivation seems to be to keep their customers in the dark as much as possible, in an effort to maximize profits.

Your thoughts may vary

It's like everything else, ask about it. This is so sad, I'm taking a break.

M~
I did. Wrote LPGear this morning (ive deal twith them several times but never LPTunes. Rome replied this afternoon with what looked like a form letter talking about LPGear always providing the best styli but I should contact LPTunes about Jico. Ironically, in comparing the two sites, LPGear seems to have a more SAS models than LPTunes, although not all the models I used to see on the Jico site (plus somr LPTunes models are $25 more than the same thing on LPGear). Plus I was checking the Jico japanese site this morning (Chrome translation) and they do have SAS styli listed but a note on the main page stating that there's a 2-3 week delay. In looking at the prices on that site after currency conversion, they're only about 2/3 the prices on LPGear.

Back
Top Bottom