Jico or nos Shure?

oldman54

Same price, which would you buy? N75b is still available, it is .6 tip, Jico .7. Would you worry about the Shure's suspension or prefer the Shure's smaller tip?

JICO makes the best AFTERMARKET styli. In this case, I would go with the Shure as it is NOS. I doubt the suspension has hardened. And the smaller tip is a nice to have.

Go for the NOS Shure. Just be aware that it might take about ten hours of play before the stylus settles in.
I have a V15II, recently bought an NOS Type II Improved stylus and it sounded like crapola at first.
The JICO styli are good, but my experience is they make those smooth old Shures much brighter sounding.

I always throw original-package styli out after 10 years, regardless. To me, the desirability of NOS depends on age.

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the Shure. I have 3 generic ( n70b, n75b, n75ed) and a Shure 3x, all over 25yo. I'm listening to one right now. I resurrected my Me75ed because all my other carts were too tall for my yard sale find, a belt drive with enough torque to use a duster/cleaner without it stopping! $10 Onkyo.

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the Shure. I have 3 generic ( n70b, n75b, n75ed) and a Shure 3x, all over 25yo. I'm listening to one right now. I resurrected my Me75ed because all my other carts were too tall for my yard sale find, a belt drive with enough torque to use a duster/cleaner without it stopping! $10 Onkyo.

Is there no VTA adjustment on the tonearm pillar ?

Sadly, I have 3 working tt, none have height adjustment. I use different mats and spacers made from 1/8" plywood on the headshell. I use the weights that came with my Shures as a pattern. I paint them black with a Sharpie so they're invisible. The sc35c and m44g bodies are a good 1/8" taller than the Me75ed, my Ortofon OMPro taller still. I've downloaded manuals for all 3. I shim the front of the 44 on the Onkyo, or it is tail down. The 75 is just right.

Same price, which would you buy? N75b is still available, it is .6 tip, Jico .7. Would you worry about the Shure's suspension or prefer the Shure's smaller tip?

I have about half a dozen original Shure N75B's, they are excellent. Only one has a problem which is a collapsed suspension.

All JICO conicals (directly from JICO) are .6 mil.

I spent some time the other night with a JICO N95G (.6 mil conical) and a original Shure N95HE (nude hyper-elliptical). Both are a joy to listen to.

JICO makes the best AFTERMARKET styli. In this case, I would go with the Shure as it is NOS. I doubt the suspension has hardened. And the smaller tip is a nice to have.

Totally. I'd lean towards original if given the option too, in this case for sure.

I spent some time the other night with a JICO N95G (.6 mil conical) and a original Shure N95HE (nude hyper-elliptical). Both are a joy to listen to.

It could be my system doesn't match well with shure carts as I’ve always found them a tad on the dull side, however the shure n95 has such a smooth classic vinyl sound. Nice one!

Totally. I'd lean towards original if given the option too, in this case for sure.

It could be my system doesn't match well with shure carts as I’ve always found them a tad on the dull side, however the shure n95 has such a smooth classic vinyl sound. Nice one!

I found the same. I'll have to try an M95 some day. They are /were(both) popular. I would love to try an M44 with a SAS stylus. That would be something.

For what it's worth I have a V-15 III I bought new in mid seventies and I still have the original stylus as well as one I bought new in late seventies and either one plays perfectly fine in my Dual 1245. Granted they don't have an excess of hours on them, as a consideration for wear, but aside from that... being as old as they are I see no issues with the suspension. I didn't use the cartridge for a long period of time but now use it regularly listening through Altec 19s.

I got lucky and got a Shure NDCej in an auction for $20. Seller didnt mention genuine Shure, but it was in the pics. Tracks great at 2 grams. I have read of very few suspension failures of NOS Shures, this one is fine. Holder is black and says Shure ej on front. I thought black was for ed stylus but there it is.

I have generics. N75b, n75ec and the aforementioned ndc-ej, genuine Shure. Today I recieved an evg 3127de, generic n75ed t2. Wow! Soundstage expanded, more detail, Wow! This stylus has a .2x.7 tip. I have a carbon fiber headshell (straight arm) and nylon machine screws and it all works. The shure ej was better than the generics, even the evg .3x.7 w/tie wire. I cant afford an sas but I guess ill get a jico n75ed when they get some in as they're sold out, but I wonder if it will be as good. I found an evg3127de for $13 shipped, so another for shure. Ive had this cart for 30 years, it separated from the plastic when I put the ej in. I hope it has another 5000 hours left.

Hi all,
I have marantz 6200 turntable, today I use an M95 cartridge with N95ej (THAKKER JAPAN) "JICO", but I think it's not JICO.
My question is if a stylus N95HE will look good on my TT?
So I've been researching the arm is medium mass arm for heavy.

sorry for my english

Hi all,
I have marantz 6200 turntable, today I use an M95 cartridge with N95ej (THAKKER JAPAN) "JICO", but I think it's not JICO.

My question is if a stylus N95HE will look good on my TT?
So I've been researching the arm is medium mass arm for heavy.

sorry for my english

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Did Thakker Japan tell you that the N95EJ is not from JICO ?

No matter how good a stylus looks, it is the performance of how good it sounds that really count.

I would think that the N 95HE would sound a great deal better than a N95 EJ - 0.4 x 0.7 mils. :)

Many thanks for the welcome.
Sebastian reported that it was JICO and in the box JICO was also written. But the output volume is very low compared to NOS n95ed.
I also think the n95HE sounds better just do not know if it will be good with the arm of my TT

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Did Thakker Japan tell you that the N95EJ is not from JICO ?

No matter how good a stylus looks, it is the performance of how good it sounds that really count.

I would think that the N 95HE would sound a great deal better than a N95 EJ - 0.4 x 0.7 mils. :)

Many thanks for the welcome.
Sebastian reported that it was JICO and in the box JICO was also written. But the output volume is very low compared to NOS n95ed.
I also think the n95HE sounds better just do not know if it will be good with the arm of my TT

Back
Top Bottom