JohnVFs listening room...

Yeah, we're spoiled for food here. A bunch of my friends are obsessed with the trendy famous-chef places that sprout up but I'd rather find the little place with no pretense attached to it, that's been quietly serving great food to those who know for decades. We have everything food-wise here, every nationality, every region. The Ethiopian I had a few weeks ago was one of the best meals I've had in years.

The best Thai restaurant I've ever found is a little hole-in-the-wall place about a mile from my house. It's part of the reason I picked this place when I moved...

Those night pics are really nice, what a view. Who needs hifi when you have that.....oh wait, that only makes the music better I am sure! Thanks for sharing John, great place, great gear. Tim

Great pics! Your treatments are coming along nicely. Where's Mr. Berkeley hiding?

That's the main source in my other system (the one in the Nelson Hi Fi cabinet) in the living room. I may try it out in here, though. Its a slightly better stand alone DAC than the NAD, but the NAD is slightly better as a preamp/DAC. Seems the volume control is better implemented in the NAD and the Berkeley sounds best when run flat-out. To my ears anyway, driving my amps. The magazine reviews differ from me in that, but that's how it played out here.

Lovely apartment, John, with a spectacular view!

Us country folks like to see the big city every now and again.

Lovely apartment, John, with a spectacular view!

Us country folks like to see the big city every now and again.

Us city folks are jealous of all the space and quiet surroundings. I grew up surrounded by a lot more nature than I have here and really miss it.

That's the main source in my other system (the one in the Nelson Hi Fi cabinet) in the living room. I may try it out in here, though. Its a slightly better stand alone DAC than the NAD, but the NAD is slightly better as a preamp/DAC. Seems the volume control is better implemented in the NAD and the Berkeley sounds best when run flat-out. To my ears anyway, driving my amps. The magazine reviews differ from me in that, but that's how it played out here.

I doubt that one bit. Logic would dictate that a "virgin" signal path with as few gain stages as possible would sound best, but I haven't found that to be true either.

My DAC is perfectly capable of driving my tube amp directly (and the amp has an attenuator) but once I put a VAC pre into the mix there was no going back. I guess you could say I "went VAC and will never go back".:banana:

Roughed in my random reflection absorbing panels from Guitar Center. Some sort of velour covered squares in back that feel like a rock-wool insulation, foam in front. I don't want to kill everything as the ESLs sound better with a bit of reflelction. So they say.

Anyway, it does sound markedly better than it did, and the echo I had in here is gone. That was very much a worthwhile tweak. Imaging is better, details are more clear, and the whole system just sounds more together at all volumes. Bass wasn't really a problem before and I doubt these panels are doing much for it. But the higher frequency plate-reverb-sounding echo is history.

Hey John, are those 2" or 4" thick Aurlex? I'm ordering some myself. Looks great, BTW.

In the heart of the city, yummy. Man do I ever remember that part of town...had the best ****in' Reuben of my life very near there. Sweet Home Chicago!

Hey Art,was it at Mrs.Levy deli in the Sears tower? And John you can stop showin off now, yeesh.

Hey John, are those 2" or 4" thick Aurlex? I'm ordering some myself. Looks great, BTW.

I used these:

http://www.auralex.com/sonolite/

And this stuff:

http://www.auralex.com/acoustic_studiofoam_2w/acoustic_studiofoam_2w.asp

I think I'm going to buy something thin, some sort of insulation, to put behind the projector screen, as I had to move the wedged foam to the corners as it was too thick to hide behind the screen. I had thought it stood out more from the wall than it did.

I didn't measure things...I really have just put this stuff where there was an expanse of reflective wall. So much of the wall space is taken up by bookshelves in here that there wasn't much to take care of.

Wow, the views at night are really spectacular. I could probably sit there in the dark for hours with some vinyl spinning in the background. I hope to find a similar place here in Milwaukee, some day... :yes:

Wow, the views at night are really spectacular. I could probably sit there in the dark for hours with some vinyl spinning in the background. I hope to find a similar place here in Milwaukee, some day... :yes:

I'd rather live in Milwaukee, I really like that city. I can't think of much we have hear (that I'm into) that I couldn't find in Milwaukee with less rent, less parking annoyance, less tourists, and a better view of the lake. I've really enjoyed every weekend I've spent up there. Far more than most weekends in Chicago.

The final episode of Bob's second show ended with Bob in bed with his wife, telling her he just had the strangest dream. The wife turns over, and we realize it's the wife from his first show. The second show had all been a dream. It was a powerfully funny scene for those of us who were fans of both shows.

It was funny, and, since the settings of the two shows were so completely different, it was believable. (Larry: "Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Daryl... and this is my other brother Daryl.") :D

IIRC that was also a spoof of the 'dream' season of Dallas a few years earlier where the previous whole season was passed off as a dream in the next season opener. In that case, viewers were not pleased.

one of the coolest things i have ever seen was my sisters brownie girl scout leaders neighborhood in barrington. she was married to a chicago stockbroker. their neighborhood was built around a private runway, and helipad. these guys would fly into midway every day, then private car to work. traffic problem solved.

wasnt there an episode of Frasier where he woke up in bed with his ex wife from Cheers, and said, "i just had the weirdest dream?" funny spoofs.

I have always thought it would be cool to live in a high rise place with a view like that. Sadly New Orleans is pretty flat so I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Great space John!

But you could live in some of the quieter spots of the French Quarter...what a beautiful neighborhood to walk around when its not filled with obnoxious drunken revelers.

But you could live in some of the quieter spots of the French Quarter...what a beautiful neighborhood to walk around when its not filled with obnoxious drunken revelers.

sadly the Quarter is always filled with drunk revelers :beer::beer::beer: :drunk: :puke:

I would like the high rise city view but honestly I am more of a second story tree tops view kind of guy. That is a great place you have there.

Back
Top Bottom