More fun with (more) JBL L212 speakers

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
[Details on the 2nd pair start on Page 8 of this thread]
Well, in truth, my first JBLs were a pair of L36 Decades (new) in 1974, with a Yamaha CR400 and Philip 212 ... that was my budget system just after college.. all I could afford - but I remember seeing the L212s a few years later ('77 or so) and thinking they were really cool looking. Had those decades for many years, then around '05 I won a pair of 4320 monitors for $300 off eBay and started down a road of JBL monitors and custom speakers before I settled on the L200s I reworked and had for nearly 10 years ... sold them about 2 years ago, and have been playing with other things (DCMs, Vandersteens, Von Schweikerts, Magnepans) - but I am still kinda fond of JBL speakers - heck, I consider the 2 pair of UREI 809As down in the TV room to be JBLs - certainly they have coaxial JBL drivers!

And I think of some of the signature pieces from JBL - they have made some really nice speakers over the years. There was a nice refurb thread on an L212 system here just last spring - so I blame Zonker92 for getting me all hopped up for a pair! ;)

Anyway, the L212 is a 3 way system from 40 years ago. It consists of two satellite tower speakers and a short Bass module or subwoofer, a newer design at the time.

First, they are thin, somewhat like the DCMs that came later - and remind me of the 2001 TMA monoliths ... Some of the drivers in them were used in other models - so parts can be rare. And
the Bass module was somewhat problematic , especially 40 years old. But the look is very distinctive, and I found a pair at a reasonable price to play with.

The pair I bought does not have the Bass module, just the towers, but they look to be in good shape - - tho the mid-Bass drivers need new surrounds (typical of older JBLs - no biggie), Grill cloth is a bit worn, and I should probably rebuild the crossovers. I already own a working M&K Volkswoofer sub that is very musical so I'm hoping I can use that with them.

I made an offer, we haggled a bit, and talked about taking the curved "feet" off the towers to make sure they make it through the shipping process (thanks for the info on that, Zonker92!) .

I won't see them until Christmas, and I haven't figured where I will use them (front mains in the 7.1 system?) - but here are a couple pictures ...

ebay212-04.jpg
ebay212-01.jpg
ebay212-10.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Great find Hjames! I've only seen them come up a few times in the past 5-10 years. Some folks say that the 066 tweeter is harsh but I like it myself (4313b's). They can be very crispy and detailed. Your cabinets seem in decent shape; good find!

Very nice! Always loved the design of these. Nice Christmas present for yourself!
Keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited:
Excellent! I'll be looking forward to hearing your opinion on them. Last time I heard a pair was 1979. I've always liked the look of the L212s.

Hi Heather.. Glad to hear you're still playing around with JBL stuff although I have to admit, I was surprised to hear you sold your L200s. Weren't you using a Smith style flat wood horn on top of the L200 cabinets? I don't recall ever hearing a working L212 system, so I am looking forward to your impressions. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nice find. Always a bit of mystery regarding these speakers for me. They had been discontinued shortly before I got into audio and would come up in periodic references by people. The fact that it had a sub and the apperance, particularly 2 curved bases always was something that made them unique. Not many people used subs back then. Would take many more years for subs to become all the rage. Good they found a good home.

Congrats! Those are very cool...always wanted to hear those. A very early (and quite well done) 3 piece system. Will you try to hunt down matching sub?

Jblnut

She's back stepping into the JBL world again, congrats Heather, I'v always wanted that setup also. Don't think you really need the factory sub and with the advancement in sub technology you'll probably do better with something new anyway.

OOOH! I hear a B380 calling, "Heather."
Well, I had a B-380 for a while a few years back, but sold it when I got a 4641, currently stashed downstairs in the TV room ... (JBL 4641)

Its kind of industrial, so in the lower picture its on the far right corner, hidden behind black cloth under the shelves ... with a Harman Kardon Citation 22 bridged to mono, lotsa bass!

Plus, I believe the UREI 809As were from after JBL bought UREI, since they have JBL drivers in coaxial form, so they're kinda JBLs ... right?
(got 4 of those in the home theater - front mains and side surrounds)

JBL-4641_6583.jpg

2015-UREI-HT_9400.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Heather.. Glad to hear you're still playing around with JBL stuff although I have to admit, I was surprised to hear you sold your L200s. Weren't you using a Smith style flat wood horn on top of the L200 cabinets? I don't recall ever hearing a working L212 system, so I am looking forward to your impressions. Good luck!
I'd had the L200 through nearly 10 years, evolved them quite a bit with the Smith horns and 4" pro drivers, but as my hot rodder brother once said, "you never get everything you put into a custom project when you sell it". Well, someone made me a really nice offer for them and all the spares, and I decided I'd had a lot of fun with them but it was a good time to downsize!

Plus, I had "just" found a pair of Von Schweikert VR-4 which do really well at 1/4 the price -
(thats one of them next to the magnepan below)

All that said, the L212s look like a cool pair of speakers & a good pair of JBLs do "fun" things with music.
I figure the Volkswoofer I already own will be a nice visual and aural match! (better than the problematic L212 Bass module)
I'm currently using it upstairs with some magnepan MGIIcs I got from jjohnson earlier this year.

Volkswoofer-w-MG2c-2953.jpg

Wow. Great find Hjames! I've only seen them come up a few times in the past 5-10 years. Some folks say that the 066 tweeter is harsh but I like it myself (4313b's). They can be very crispy and detailed. Your cabinets seem in decent shape; good find!
Thanks - I hope they are nice as they appeared in photos.
I gather the drivers are mostly unobtainium, and with Harman recently sold to Samsung,
the trick will be finding some spares just to guarantee a long life (I've got 2 spare UREI drivers for a similar reason).

I gather the drivers are mostly unobtainium, and with Harman recently sold to Samsung,
the trick will be finding some spares just to guarantee a long life.
As one who has lived in the same house with the JBL 030 system since I was but four-or-five years-old, I don't really worry about that. Still, I have no good excuse for why I own nineteen complete JBL speaker pairs.
:biggrin:

Well, I've always kept spares for the systems I use the most ...
even have an L20T3 stashed in the basement as spare parts for the L20Ts up in my office (w/hk740 receiver as "computer monitors" on a MacPro).
Don't really have any unused systems stashed - tho the bedroom system (customized M&K satellites and a giveaway sony receiver from an AK party a few years back)
and the basement system (my old CR400, a casette deck and some CL rescue L19s) don't really get much use.

Well, I've always kept spares for the systems I use the most ...
I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to use, say, my L3 for parts to repair my L1, L5, or L7. I suppose I'm actually doing the same as you, it's just cheaper to purchase a complete L7 system than to buy even the 12-inch drivers by themselves. I don't actually use my L7s that much but I suppose having two pair means I'll never be lacking for parts!

Well, it looks like you're all set to get the most out of your new acquisition. Have fun with them and let us know your impressions.

My cardiologist has a set of those, purchased new, (all three pieces) in his waiting room. Doc said the JBLs were one of the first 2.1 systems marketed as a set. They've followed him around, through all his travels. He's a big jazz fan, so I like to go early and sit and listen to what's on his playlist for the day. Vinyl at his home, but hi-res files at work.

They work very well in his system. If I could just get my primary-care physician to upgrade the little Visoniks...

Enjoy your new speakers. They sound even better than they look.

My cardiologist has a set of those, purchased new, (all three pieces) in his waiting room ... He's a big jazz fan so I like to go early and sit anlisten to what's on his playlist for the day ... If I could just get my primary-care physician to upgrade the little Visoniks...
That's funny. My dentist has a nice little pair of Kef Model 102s, but he mainly gravitates toward classic rock. My regular doctor has a portable AM radio.

Congrats, Heather. I bet you'll have all sorts of fun with those.

Back
Top Bottom