More fun with (more) JBL L212 speakers

Original ad on C/L said it played well. The pics said otherwise. :bs:

At least you got a nice, rare woofer.
Well, I did not see the Craigslist ad - but in the ebay ad, I could not see the dome had a tear in the pictures he posted. Plus, he said it "works great."

Anyway, scroll back to pg 4 earlier in this thread and you can see I have fixed two 066 tweeters with pushed in domes - but once the dome is torn ... that's a much different matter.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
The JBL L212 was Greg Timbers' biggest mistake. In his own words...

"The only big mistake on my part (speaking of his time at JBL) was the L212 system. I was working on it at the time we were moving from Glendale to Northridge. The measurement facilities were up and down at both locations and listening rooms were at both places so there was no consistency to any of the results. I made a tactical error that made the system less than it deserved to be."

I never heard them for myself though.

As I vaguely recall (subject to correction) the mistake he referred to was an unintended 80 Hz bump in the frequency response, which IMHO is not the end of the world for a pair of speakers. I'm sure it bugged him because the system was supposed to be closer to ideal, and it was really disappointing to find an unexpected flaw in it. I've also seen hints of a fix via crossover revision, but never the details. I can't imagine how much time the design team put into these speakers. The cabinets, even the grills, are amazing, and the drivers are terrific. To my mind, the biggest problem was the sub; the amp sucked and the driver had limited excursion.

This is the pair I snuck into my father-in-law's house when he was out of town. I added the sub later.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
IIRC, the C/L ad showed the rip in the tweeter.

Here's a tip..., take it for what it's worth.

When looking for JBL and Altec equipment on ebay, if they don't put the area or you don't know where that area is, go onto C/L and do a search for what you want and specify "within 200 miles" of a Los Angeles or Orange County (e.g., 92705) zip code. This will cover the area from Tijuana to San Luis Obispo and you will often find the same speakers/items (e.g., Marantz, Infinity, Gauss, RSL, etc. were from Los Angeles) on C/L and ebay, often with different pics and even different prices. Forewarned is forearmed.

Remember that JBLs were made in Los Angeles (Northridge) and Altecs came from Orange County (Anaheim), and there are/were probably more recording studios than just about anywhere, and the greatest preponderance of these speakers is still in the local area.

Last edited:
Off work Day after Christmas - Had flapjacks and sausage ...watched the Doctor Who Christmas special we recorded last night, and - I took some time to fiddle with the other 066 Domed tweeter. I had a set of T handle jewelers screwdrivers and such - and one fit the allen screws holding the casing together. I removed the 3 allen screws and lifted the top off, revealing the diaphram and leads at each side. Marked which terminal/lead is Pos and which is neg (or as I did, which is blk and which is red)
Put a screwdriver on the philips head and turn slightly, then hold the screwhead and spin the terminal off with your fingers. gently lift the diaphram out of its depression - careful with the voicecoil on the backside as you lift it from its gap in the magnet) Push the dented dome gently from underneath
(mine still has a faint dimple that would not stay pushed out, but its much better than before!)

View attachment 841310 View attachment 841311 View attachment 841312 View attachment 841313

Time to reassemble - again, careful with the terminals.
Lay a gasket over the screws, so the tweeter seals to the cabinet.
(I was able to reuse mine - but I have heard you can cut a gasket from cereal box cardboard).
Reinstall it in the cabinet, and give it a test ...

Hello,
I am about to attempt this on one of my 066 tweeters in my pair of L166 speakers.
However, I am a little confused when you say "Put a screwdriver on the philips head and turn slightly, then hold the screwhead and spin the terminal off with your fingers."
Do you only loosen the philips screw slightly and not unscrew it all the way?
Does the terminal come all the way off without removing the philips screw?

Thanks

Well, perhaps they are less than they could/should have been, but the 066 is a sweet tweeter, and the overall effect is quite good. And they do image well.
That said, I am not using the problematic B212 Bass Module (which have been known to die under regular use).
I run mine with an old M&K Volkswoofer which has been a very musical sub for a couple different systems I have owned over the years.

And about the rip - thanks for the FYI Todd - the ebay pix were less clear and while I presumed the pixelated area was a smashed dome,
I never dreamed it was torn since the first ad where he listed it for $400 said "Works great. Super rare."
He later listed it on ebay (again) for $300, I offered $200, and we went from there.
The JBL L212 was Greg Timbers' biggest mistake. In his own words...

"The only big mistake on my part (speaking of his time at JBL) was the L212 system. I was working on it at the time we were moving from Glendale to Northridge. The measurement facilities were up and down at both locations and listening rooms were at both places so there was no consistency to any of the results. I made a tactical error that made the system less than it deserved to be."

I never heard them for myself though.

That sounds right. Sorry to be vague. I did that for the first time a year ago and don't have time to open one right now an confirm that.
The trick is to hold the terminal as you break the screw loose so you don't snap the fragile wire off the diaphragm.
And hold it again when you reassemble for the same reason.

I did buy a pair of them off ebay mid-year - they didn't sound very good, but maybe with 3 "spares" of them I can make 1 good one between them. And again, at least the woofer is good!

Hello,
I am about to attempt this on one of my 066 tweeters in my pair of L166 speakers.
However, I am a little confused when you say "Put a screwdriver on the philips head and turn slightly, then hold the screwhead and spin the terminal off with your fingers."
Do you only loosen the philips screw slightly and not unscrew it all the way?
Does the terminal come all the way off without removing the philips screw?

Thanks

I remember the L212 well. A local dealer had a set when I was in high school, and I remember being pretty astonished by how good they were. The other dealers in town had Advents, DCM Time Windows, Dalquist DQ-10's, Altec's, etc. Those were all great speakers, but the big JBL 212's played big and loud and sounded really clean. I also remember the sub being something quite different for the time, and somewhat problematic. Anyway, I'd love to hear a restored set someday!

And while I am playing with Altecs and Heaths and Fostex hybrid systems,
the poor JBL L212s and Volkswoofer are stacked off to the side ...
('cause they are just too good to sell off!!)

JBL-L212-stacked_6204.jpg

Figuring there weren't many pairs of L212s around to begin with

So Heather, I found a pair of these locally this weekend as I answered a add for some 4401s. This guy and I hit it off and he's moving so I know he will want to sell them. In fact when we where talking on the phone he mentioned selling them and other Marantz gear so they haven't been posted anywhere yet. When there I never showed any great interest and they are not all bad but have some cosmetic issues. The back grills where on and he said he had the front ones also, I asked about the sub and he doesn't have that. So in meeting we built a rapore and I said I'm interested in them just prior to leaving and he should think about a price.

They where setup and that's what he's using at the moment, maybe I could offer if he sold them this weekend I could set him up with some small cheap speakers. At leas that way he's not without tunes.

I can see reading here a bit, that the drivers better be all working because they are only used in this speaker. I never did ask him to turn on his system to have a listen, but as I said I made it seem they where no big deal to me.

I already got the little 4401s stripped, refinished, washed the grills and prepped the drivers for new foam that should be here in a day or two.

IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0409.JPG

4-2-7, if the price is right, I hope you do get them. Cosmetically, there isn't that much to worry about unless the bases and the curved panels there are messed up. The towers should be easy to work on, and as long as the midbass 112 / 2108 and 066 tweeters are in good shape, its fairly easy to restore. Just be sure the original cones are on the 112's. Missing the "Ultrabass" isn't that big of a deal in my opinion - the woofer there is only a 12" JBL and working with a 75@ amp which was fairly limited even in its time. I'm pretty confident you have a sub which can do it justice in your listening room already. A good passive or electronic crossover will work just fine.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of them if you do get them and set them up. Your Mac's should really do them justice.

And while I am playing with Altecs and Heaths and Fostex hybrid systems,
the poor JBL L212s and Volkswoofer are stacked off to the side ...

View attachment 1139586
Another reminder that I need to figure out what's wrong with my own Volkswoofer. Seems the level pot isn't dirty, it's damaged. Cleaning hasn't helped.

And @4-2-7 that's lovely woodwork. Those look very nice now.

Great scores, owning the L166's I know the sound, you will like them. I sold the first pair of L212's in Buffalo!

So Heather, I found a pair of these locally this weekend as I answered a add for some 4401s. This guy and I hit it off and he's moving so I know he will want to sell them. In fact when we where talking on the phone he mentioned selling them and other Marantz gear so they haven't been posted anywhere yet. When there I never showed any great interest and they are not all bad but have some cosmetic issues. The back grills where on and he said he had the front ones also, I asked about the sub and he doesn't have that. So in meeting we built a rapore and I said I'm interested in them just prior to leaving and he should think about a price.

I sent him a text this week and he just called me back. I'm going by to listen to them and most likely buy them. :thumbsup:

@hjames:

After reading many posts, you seem to know a great deal (no offense to other AK’ers that might not agree on this) about JBL212’s of which I own a pair ( original owner!).

I will fess up and state that I have not been the best caretaker of these gems.

That said, I am embarking on a restoration project for these (new veneer’s mostly).

The subwoofer is another story. Believe or not, it actually works! I have the original glass and the mat that goes underneath it but, lost the little metal JBL logo that fit so nicely on the lower right hand corner of the glass (stupid me ‍♂️). The cabinet does need some work as well.

I understand the value of keeping the set altogether and have no plans of “breaking” up the band” if you will.

I have wondered as of late if there is another subwoofer that I should consider using ( does not have to be JBL) on a day-to-day basis and just let the 70w “beast” rest?

I know that you are aware of the unusual wiring set-up for the subwoofer ( running wires from each of the panels back into the subwoofer). I am using a Sansui 8D as my main power source.

Suggestions?

Well, I have never owned the original Subwoofer so I don't the original wiring setup. I've used a Volkswoofer with mine - the amp runs directly to it, and it has secondary outs that run to the towers.
The M&K Volkswoofer has been a beautiful match for the L212s and for the Magnepans I used it with previously, its got a gain control so I can bring it in slowly to fill in bass under the other speakers.

Well, I have never owned the original Subwoofer so I don't the original wiring setup. I've used a Volkswoofer with mine - the amp runs directly to it, and it has secondary outs that run to the towers.
The M&K Volkswoofer has been a beautiful match for the L212s and for the Magnepans I used it with previously, its got a gain control so I can bring it in slowly to fill in bass under the other speakers.

Thanks! Will check it out.

(this thread has been far too quiet as of late).
I've got to get the Optimus and Valencia Speakers out of my living room -
So I can use the Volumio server to feed Qobuz to -
the 2001 Slabs -

TMA-slab.jpg
bumPAH bumPAH bumPAH bumPAH
TMA-slab-crescentMoon.jpg

JBL-L212_5738.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom