Just got my Pure i-20 Today...happy...

JazzVinyl

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got my Pure i-20 Dock today from Amazon/J&R Music World. Delivered for US $94.08.

And wow, I am really happy with it!!

I wanted to run that ooTunes "Internet Radio" app on my iPod Touch and get acceptable quality audio. I noticed right away that without the Pure i-20 the Wi-Fi Touch was not going to cut it compared to my iPod Classics via a line out cord.

The Touch did not have the same audio quality via it's line out.

Enter the Pure i-20 dock....and yes...happy camper. It really cleaned up the audio output of the Touch.

The Touch works unreasonably well to use Wi-Fi and fetch the Internet Radio. It works a heck of a lot better (and sounds a lot better) than a Grace Audio internet radio I bought a few years ago. The ooTunes App really helps too. Makes finding a cool station, easy. You can then easily add it to a favorites list. You can even record. And it has a sleep timer and wake up alarms.

Very very nice!!

Listening to the Ambient station: 'A1quietRadio' as I type...

http://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/a1-quiet-radio

This is beautiful, acceptable quality on the big rig at home, and the Touch goes to work with me and entertains me via a pair of Klipsch 'phones.

This is great thing, that Technology hath provided!!

Thank you to the good folks at AudioKarma who brought the Pure i-20 to my attention.

Cheers!!

I also owe a debt of thanks to AK for alerting me to this device, I love it. I was gifted a 160gb iPod Classic and the i20 by my son for xmas. Using it in my office direct to a pair of JBL powered monitors, sounds sweet indeed! I have a ton of music ripped to Apple lossless and it really shines in this setup. The remote is a little cheesy/wonky, but for < 100.00 it seems silly to complain. And I love the tiny footprint this minimalist hi-fi has.

I do have a question, though. In the space between songs, and while negotiating song menus, I often hear a little "click" or "pop", kind of like a static discharge. It's not there when I listen via laptop and USB DAC. Is this a normal iPod thing? I'm relatively new to it, though not to digital music. Anybody else hearing this?

Hello Rapidan...

Yes! I have heard a few pops and clicks between songs as well.

I will do some testing and see if I can get to the bottom of the issue.

Mine seems to do this much less when using the iPod Classic than when using the iPod Touch.

Thanks for the reply....

Interesting. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try it with my phone and see if I get the same results. It's not really bothersome, it's at a really low level, but I can hear it. Much less bothersome than a needle drop! I would certainly recommend the device, faint clicks or not!

I am thinking the pops/click are coming from Mobile Phone interference?

I say that because it just occurred to me that it only popped/clicked when I was standing nearby (had the cell in my pocket).

Will know more tonight...

Question: can you pop the Touch into the dock while it's in a case? I have an Otterbox skin/case for mine (not the huge, ubiquitous Otterbox) and I'd hate to think of having to strip it anytime I wanted to dock it.

Question: can you pop the Touch into the dock while it's in a case? I have an Otterbox skin/case for mine (not the huge, ubiquitous Otterbox) and I'd hate to think of having to strip it anytime I wanted to dock it.

I'd say yes. It appears that Pure allowed for this, since the little "backrest" is not tight against the back of the iPod/iPhone. As long as the dock connector is unobstructed I think it'll work just fine.

Updates - I tried putting my iPod and iPhone into the Pure dock with cases on, it worked just fine. The only one which wouldn't was a case with a big honkin' belt clip on the back.

And i checked into the noise issue, my two iPhones don't make the noise. After some net research, it appears that iPods with traditional hard drives (Classic, etc.) often make this low level noise between songs. It's not too bothersome, now that I know what it is. The solid state devices don't make the noise.

I can use my Touch with a case, on the i-20, no problem.

I have not heard any more crackling from my unit thus far.

I do agree with Rapidan that a hard drive iPod can make some audible noises between tracks when your listening loud and carefully. It was the first thing I noticed when I got a hard drive iPod Classic, I had been using a nano (2nd gen) before the iPod, and it makes no such noises.

Cheers!

I have an iPhone 3GS with an Incipio Feather case. It fits in the i20 just fine. Sometimes I need to give it an extra push for it to charge, but that's no big deal.

YMMV

I too get an occasional click/pop. I have the i20 connected via Toslink to a TubeDAC-09. I think the popping sound is DAC-related as I had been hearing it with my CDP that was connected via coax to the DAC.

On another thread for the DAC noise Ian Grant suggests backing off the output of the TubeDAC.

Is anyone using the i20 analog out and experiencing the popping? Perhaps lowering the output would help.

I'm using the analog out, straight into a pair of powered monitors, my minimalist office system. The clicks are only audible between songs. Softer than a needle drop if you were listening to an LP. So I can live with it fine. I'm pretty sure it's the iPod, not the i20 DAC.

I'm using the analog out, straight into a pair of powered monitors, my minimalist office system. The clicks are only audible between songs. Softer than a needle drop if you were listening to an LP. So I can live with it fine. I'm pretty sure it's the iPod, not the i20 DAC.

Do you hear it when using headphones?

I picked up a Pure i20 a couple weeks back. The only issue I have with it is that the remote is useless. I can sometimes pause or play a track and that is just about it. I tried programing my harmony remote to see if that helped, thinking it may have a stronger output signal, but it preformed the same.

I picked up a Pure i20 a couple weeks back. The only issue I have with it is that the remote is useless. I can sometimes pause or play a track and that is just about it. I tried programing my harmony remote to see if that helped, thinking it may have a stronger output signal, but it preformed the same.

Yep, I keep mine on a table by the bed with a long cable to my integrated amp. Problem solved.

That doesn't work for me. The system it in doesn't really allow for it. The other source on that system is a turntable so it isn't like I'm loosing convenience by not having the remote. It sure would be nice if it worked though.

I find the remote does not work at all with the iPod Touch with the latest iOS (5.x) but it works perfectly with all my iPod Classics, and my Nano (2nd Gen).

I find the remote does not work at all with the iPod Touch with the latest iOS (5.x) but it works perfectly with all my iPod Classics, and my Nano (2nd Gen).

That doesn't surprise me. Seems every thing apple sold or spec'd out before i4 doesn't work. Swear they shifted stuff around just to sell more stuff.

Anyone figured out how to get it to power up without the volume starting off around 20%? Every time I power up my system I have to spend a minute with the crappy pure remote bringing the volume back up to full again. It disables the controls on the iPod so this is the only way to do it.

Jblnut

Back
Top Bottom