Just how passionate are you?

Something goes wrong with your System, how do you react?

• No big deal, I'll fix it when I have the time.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I'll try a couple of things & call it quits.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • I'll post a thread right away on AK for help.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I'll wake up a few friends to pick their brain.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I'll call my dealer regardless of time for immediate help.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Pulling an all nighter, I can't sleep with my System down!

Votes: 41 38.7%

• Total voters
As crazy as I am with my system you may be surprised to find I voted "I'll try a couple of things & call it quits."

This is mainly due to the fact that I have a turntable and as often as the turntable needs attention I have found that a good nights sleep makes for better thinking.

Victor

I have to agree with Victor. Sometimes you just have to sit back and think about it.

If I don't have a service manual Ilike to get one before I get too deep. Some problems can be fixed rather easily, but when I get out of my comfort zone, like with tuners, I get the manual and ask for help from AK'ers like Dr. Audio.

Paul

I took the first choice. I have plenty spares so if something happens I can just change the piece out. Then a tube amp I will look at, tube other goes off to Terry, SS goes to the dealer.

Carl

All of my broken gear is promptly transferred to Skippy Laboratories for sometimes inept but really slow repair.

Murray

Man, I can't stand having the system down. If something goes wrong, I'll rip into it and bang away until I'm sure I can't figure it out, or its fixed. In the past, little stuff would go wrong occasionally and I'd fix it. With the Mac stuff, nothing goes wrong. It seems to be just a matter of constantly tweaking and fussing over things like the FM antenna, cables, speaker placement, blah blah, blah. Git 'er done!

The first thing I do when something goes wrong is panic.
No, seriously.
Then after a few moments of wondering how the h€ll I'm gonna pay for repairs, I try to use logic and contact cleaner! :D I'll ask here at AK if I have any doubts. I obsess over the problem until I either fix it or live with it. I'm very lucky that so far, in over 30 years, my problems have only been with intermittent sound or mechanical issues that usually need only a new replacement belt or light bulb.
Tom

Can I post without owning Mc equipment? I'm with Carl in that there are always spares of one type or another kicking around. Then I obsess with why it's broken while listening to music.

1948epiphone said:
Man, I can't stand having the system down. If something goes wrong, I'll rip into it and bang away until I'm sure I can't figure it out, or its fixed. In the past, little stuff would go wrong occasionally and I'd fix it. With the Mac stuff, nothing goes wrong. It seems to be just a matter of constantly tweaking and fussing over things like the FM antenna, cables, speaker placement, blah blah, blah. Git 'er done!

We must be twins, I am exactly the same way!

Last year for example, I had a very strange problem indeed; under high volume conditions (consistently) one of my 1201's would shut down (no where near power guard BTW) & take down all the Amps after it in the daisy chain. Sounds like a bad amp right. Nope...

What was happening was at high levels when the Bass would pound away a combination of vibrations & gravity, yes gravity was causing one of my Hefty power cords to make poor connection with one of my 30+ dedicated outlets. A rather easy fix (once found) install anti-gravity cord restraints aka Ty-wraps.

Don't recall what time of night I fixed it, but I slept well after I wrestled & beat the Monster System. :thmbsp:

Viola

OvenMaster said:
The first thing I do when something goes wrong is panic.
No, seriously.
Then after a few moments of wondering how the h€ll I'm gonna pay for repairs, I try to use logic and contact cleaner! :D I'll ask here at AK if I have any doubts. I obsess over the problem until I either fix it or live with it. I'm very lucky that so far, in over 30 years, my problems have only been with intermittent sound or mechanical issues that usually need only a new replacement belt or light bulb.
Tom

No pun intended with your name, but I reserve "panic" for when I smell smoke. Yes, it has happened on one occasion, and Yes I do keep a Halon Extinguisher in my Theater Room. With 20K+ watts & 300+ amps of service, better to be safe than sorry. :yes:

In the words of one of my friends "What could possibly go wrong now; we've thought of everything."

My whole system is comprised of Mcintosh stuff, a great deal of it classic tube models. Outside of a rectifier tube on an a-116 developing a sense of humor, I've had no down time.

I haven't gotten near that 116 since, though. Good thing I had Scotch-Guarded my underwear as a precaution. ZZZZorch. -Snap-

If something in my system goes down, I have enough other pieces that it's right back up again! :D

Then I'll look at the problem piece when I'm good and rested. :yes:

Scott

I am very passionate, I already told my kids my McIntosh components are my "other" children. :yes: However I did vote "I'll try a few things then call it quits." Just like with my "real" kids, when they get sick, I'll try the flu medicine on them and if that doesn't help in a day or so, off to the doctor they go, I take the same approach with my McIntosh system, if it's not something obvious, I am not about to put the screwdriver to the MDA1000 or 501s. :D

CarlV said:
I took the first choice. I have plenty spares so if something happens I can just change the piece out. Then a tube amp I will look at, tube other goes off to Terry, SS goes to the dealer.

Carl

I think about it for a bit, take the equipment apart, call around, and then ship it off to Terry. All this in the space of 24 hours (the one time it did actually happen). I always have the Teac SS receiver (the entertainment center's system) to fall back on, but that IS NOT the same :nono:

Dave

First thing I do is investigate. Maybe that’s a carry over from work, but it’s a good habit.
1. Who was the last person to operate the system? :nono:
2. What were they doing? :drool:
3. Have I seen this situation before? (situations have solutions :yes:
problems cost money :tears: )
4. Can I fix it? :scratch2:
5. Yes, sleep well, life goes on! :music:
6. No, call friend. :yes:
7. Call Mac dealer :sigh:
8. Sleepless night, rainy day, snow showers. :boring:
9. Problem resolved, life goes on, bells on my shoes, no big deal! :banana:
10. Yeah right :music:

Right now I have a SX-939. :banana::banana: I got it off ebay for $100 from a guy with 1 fdbk who had one sentence in the auction that stated-"old receiver" what I got was a in-original-packing(silver plastic wrap, too), with-all-paperwork, without-1-scratch Pioneer SX-939. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: I love it and I wont ever get rid of it. :D :D :D If I ever have a problem, though, I'll post on AK and see what you guys can do to help. Cheers, TBK :beerchug: :beer:

Back
Top Bottom