Just Saw Serenity This Weekend

2DualsNotEnough

Addicted Member
Saturday night I saw Serenity,and I was very pleasantly surprised.The trailers didnt do it justice.The characters were very engaging,the story held my interest,and the script was witty.The special effects served the story well,and it moved along really well.The writer director is Joss Whedon,who created both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.This movie is a contiuation of a short lived tv series he did called Firefly,which the sci-fi channel has been showing the last few months in anticipation of the movies release.By looks of the opening weekend box office,the audience is staying away in droves.I hope it doesnt have to wait of dvd release to find its audience.This one is a real sleeper.A real popcorn flick.BTW,I dont know if Id take little kids,since the violence in a few scenes is kind of intense,and there a few pretty good shocks in it.
Jimmy

Overall I liked it, but I actually think you'll probably like it better if you've never seen the Firefly series it's based on. I say that for two reasons- one, it's not as good as an average episode of the series, and two, because of the ending. I won't spoil things for those who haven't seen it, but it's hard to imaging a way to resurrect the series or even continue with a cycle of movies based on the events of Serenity.

Hardcore fans of the series (like myself) are bound to be extremely unhappy with a couple of the choices Whedan made. But the movie overall is a fine one.

Rob Babcock said:
...it's hard to imaging a way to resurrect the series or even continue with a cycle of movies based on the events of Serenity.
I've been a Firefly fan since it was first on Fox and went to see the movie last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I think there's still plenty of room for another series or movie(s) if Serenity does well enough at the box office and eventual DVD sales. You could easily do more episodes that take place between the end of the series and the movie, and even after the movie with some minor changes to the cast that would be necessary. Not that I think it's likely, but it could be done.

2DualsNotEnough said:
Saturday night I saw Serenity,and I was very pleasantly surprised.The trailers didnt do it justice.The characters were very engaging,the story held my interest,and the script was witty.The special effects served the story well,and it moved along really well.The writer director is Joss Whedon,who created both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.This movie is a contiuation of a short lived tv series he did called Firefly,which the sci-fi channel has been showing the last few months in anticipation of the movies release.By looks of the opening weekend box office,the audience is staying away in droves.I hope it doesnt have to wait of dvd release to find its audience.This one is a real sleeper.A real popcorn flick.BTW,I dont know if Id take little kids,since the violence in a few scenes is kind of intense,and there a few pretty good shocks in it.
Jimmy

I saw the 1st episode of Firefly, loved it, & then it changed times and I missed it. I am considering renting the series & then going to see Serenity.

I was a fan of the fox series and was happy to see the cast revived in the movie. I saw Serenity this weekend and enjoyed it allot. If you are a fan of Science Fiction, go see it. But I also thought that they could have expanded the effects with a movie budget. They did step up the action but there was nothing amazing. It was kind of a double episode of the TV series with more fighting.

What really surprised me was small pack of teenage girls dressed in costume at the theater. Firefly must have a following with 14 and 15 year old girls. I would not have expected that.

I do hope it does well enough to spawn either a sequel to the movie or maybe a revival of the series. UPN needs a good science fiction series since the demise of Star Trek.

- Pete

LBPete said:
I do hope it does well enough to spawn either a sequel to the movie or maybe a revival of the series. UPN needs a good science fiction series since the demise of Star Trek.

- Pete

From your mouth to God's ear, Pete!
I never had heard of Firefly, but went to the movie on the advice of a friend. It rocked! I especially liked the wittiness. The acting from the no-star cast was good, also.

I never saw the tv show but we checked out the movie last week, mostly from the good reviews I've read about it and the fact that there is nothing else to see. I was surprised, I really liked it and thought it was an excellent movie.

LBPete said:
UPN needs a good science fiction series since the demise of Star Trek.

Not a hijack, an aside comment -

What they needed were good writers as the cast of the last ST was just about perfect. Witness Battlestar Gallactica. Edgy, bloody, & nasty things happen to good & not so good people. ST had everyone on the crew a good guy & that just isn't the way life is at all.

Back
Top Bottom