Just trying to avoid a weak link

ScienceGun

Right now I'm trying to find a good DAC for my setup. I've got a TCL 49S305 Roku Smart TV with Digital Optical Audio Output that I want to pipe into my Technics SA-202 receiver, which in turn will be connected to a pair of Boston Acoustics T830s. Since the Technics does not have Digital Optical Input, then obviously I need a DAC.

What's not so obvious to me is how much I should pay for one.

Do I need a cheap, $5.99 Portta N3CDTAP? Do I need a pricey $1,850 BorderPatrol DAC? Somehow, I suspect the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Basically, I just don't want my DAC to be the weakest link in my audio chain. I'll be using my TV to watch Blu-ray movies and to stream FLAC music files via the Plex app. And I want the audio to sound as good as possible, given the other equipment I'm using.

What would you recommend?

Not wishing to be funny but a DAC is not likely to be a weak link with the receiver you are using. I think even a very modest DAC would sound great for you, given the receiver isnt super high end or anything. I definitely would not go the multi hundred bucks route.

Personally I use an Apple Airport Express that I acquired very cheaply. The DAC is really good and sounds awesome.

What about the DAC in your TV - it's already there, what does it sound like ?

Topping makes some great DACs at very reasonable prices. :)
Thanks, I'll look into them. Is there a particular model you'd recommend?

Not wishing to be funny but a DAC is not likely to be a weak link with the receiver you are using. I think even a very modest DAC would sound great for you, given the receiver isnt super high end or anything. I definitely would not go the multi hundred bucks route.

Personally I use an Apple Airport Express that I acquired very cheaply. The DAC is really good and sounds awesome.

What about the DAC in your TV - it's already there, what does it sound like ?
No, I totally get you. I'm aware that the receiver is likely my current weak link. I just want to make sure I'm not making things worse.

As far as the Airport Express goes, I'm not sure how that would work. Yes I could stream music through it, but I'd still need a separate DAC to watch TV, right?

As far as the TV's DAC, the only other output it provides is a headphone jack. I suppose I could use an aux to RCA adapter cord to plug it directly into the receiver. Is that what you're recommending?

Thanks, I'll look into them. Is there a particular model you'd recommend?

No, I totally get you. I'm aware that the receiver is likely my current weak link. I just want to make sure I'm not making things worse.

As far as the Airport Express goes, I'm not sure how that would work. Yes I could stream music through it, but I'd still need a separate DAC to watch TV, right?

As far as the TV's DAC, the only other output it provides is a headphone jack. I suppose I could use an aux to RCA adapter cord to plug it directly into the receiver. Is that what you're recommending?

The D10, D30, and D50 all get good marks in their respective price ranges. I know less about their upper end model (Forget the model number now) that's in the $450 range as that's out of my price bracket at the moment.

Your other option, of course, is to investigate a replacement receiver which supports digital input. Older AV receivers are plentiful and can be real cheap too.

Perhaps if you went this route you could move the Technics to a bedroom system. I know from experience that AV receivers can sound excellent for 2 channel stereo - I have an older Philips FR980 which is 60 watts per channel and a Kenwood rated at 80. Both support digital input optical and coax and also give the option of adding a sub. Plus the convenience of remote control :)

Your other option, of course, is to investigate a replacement receiver which supports digital input. Older AV receivers are plentiful and can be real cheap too.

Perhaps if you went this route you could move the Technics to a bedroom system. I know from experience that AV receivers can sound excellent for 2 channel stereo - I have an older Philips FR980 which is 60 watts per channel and a Kenwood rated at 80. Both support digital input optical and coax and also give the option of adding a sub. Plus the convenience of remote control :)
Maybe further on down the line. But I start my journey into the world of audio with my father's Technics.

^^^ This.

You should plan on spending at least $100 on a DAC. Anything less and you run the risk of getting crap. There is a thread worth reading: DAC under $200

If you want to do this on a low budget, I like the idea about getting a used AVR. I recently got two 10 to 15 year old Yamaha AVRs with remote and digital inputs for less than the cost of one inexpensive DAC. but if you really want to keep the Technics, you can use it as an amp and use the AVR as a pre-amp.

Back
Top Bottom