Jvc l-a31

jasterdcx

Just bought a JVC L-A31 for $44.95... good or bad for the price paid? It has a somewhat new stylus and belt and functions well. I just grabbed it without thinking :nono:

I googled it, it says it's direct drive. That's a good price for it. JVC made some excellent tables. Vinylengine has the specifications, looks good. What cartridge did it come with? I really enjoy my JVC QL-F4, very smooth table.

I think its an audiotechna? i'm not to familiar with turntables, something i noticed is that the auto return arms are worth more. This one said its semi auto.. not exactly sure what that means.. haha

I think semi-auto means it has auto return feature, but you have to place the tone arm on top of the record and cue it down. Not a deal killer for some. I wouldn't mind playing that price for a turntable if it is in good shape and looks and feels well built. I would say my JVC, even though it is a middle of the line model it's built quite nicely. Better than my realistic lab-420 and probably even the lab-400 or other CEC variants of these particular models. If you can grab a new stylus or buy a new cartridge, you can have an excellent table for about $100 all in. Shure M97xe can be found for about $50, a good cartridge. While I have no experience with that Shure cartridge, I do have several Shures that I use on a daily bases, M95 and M75, both great cartridges.

Browsing thru a 1982 JVC turntable brochure:
It has end of play auto-return-you do have to cue the arm to play.
Originally came with a JVC Z-1S cartridge.
Does have a neat stroboscope!
JVC made very good turntables in that time frame. A DD with an Audio-Technica cartridge-you did alright. This one was near the bottom of the line.
I bought a QL-A75 and Shure cartridge new in 1982-wouldn't trade 'em!

It was JVC’s cheapest direct drive from 1982 according to my Stereo buyer’s Guide price list, but like all of the Technics and JVC turntables from the Matsushita stable, was good quality, and excellent value for money. It should be direct drive, which means it doesn’t have a belt. There was a slightly cheaper belt drive model, the L-A21.

The L-A31 cost $239, while the L-A21 was $199. The Technics SL-1200 MkII was $419, to give you a sense of perspective. Similar cost turntables from then were the Kenwood KD-40R ($255), Dual CS-508 ($249), Luxman PD-264 ($248), Marantz TT-4200 ($249), Micro Seiki MB14ST ($229), Pioneer PL-4 ($219) and PL-6 ($259), Realistic Lab290 ($230), TEAC PX-550 ($229) and Technics SL-D212 ($215) and SL-D303 ($260).

My next-door neighbor just gave me one of these turntables, but it looks like the needle is pretty bent. He had it in his garage. Have yet to try and power it up, but he said it works just needs a new needle. It sure seems nicer than my Audio-Technica AT PL-50.

NICE TT SCORE!

Being 16 years old in 1982, I used to get all the product catalogues and drool over all the hifi gear I could not afford.:drool:

Today as a nearly 45 year old, it's a totally different story. :D:D

Last edited:
Just got the tt today. Looks great, functions well i assume, can't try it out right now due to a lack of a stereo and speakers.

Ok, i pulled the vinyl cover off the turn table and there are two little metal pieces floating around underneath. I think i know where one goes but i want to make sure with a service manual. I can't seem to find one on google, is there a database with them that someone might know of?

thanks

I think i actually figured it out without the manual. Hopefully they are in the right spot, if not i'll tinker with it some more. Too bad i can't test it out due to an out of commission receiver.

Last edited:
I found one of these for $13 used. I wonder if I should grab it if it's still there...?

By the way, I wonder if the OP is happy with their buy - it's been quite a while since the last post.

Hey do you have the price MSRP for all-a4???

It was JVC’s cheapest direct drive from 1982 according to my Stereo buyer’s Guide price list, but like all of the Technics and JVC turntables from the Matsushita stable, was good quality, and excellent value for money. It should be direct drive, which means it doesn’t have a belt. There was a slightly cheaper belt drive model, the L-A21.

The L-A31 cost $239, while the L-A21 was $199. The Technics SL-1200 MkII was $419, to give you a sense of perspective. Similar cost turntables from then were the Kenwood KD-40R ($255), Dual CS-508 ($249), Luxman PD-264 ($248), Marantz TT-4200 ($249), Micro Seiki MB14ST ($229), Pioneer PL-4 ($219) and PL-6 ($259), Realistic Lab290 ($230), TEAC PX-550 ($229) and Technics SL-D212 ($215) and SL-D303 ($260).
y

Back
Top Bottom