JVC QL-A2 - Variable Speed Issues

Luckyorleans

I have a bit of a beater JVC QL-A2 that has issues switching between 33 and 45 RPM. Sometimes when switching between 45 and 33 it stays on 45 but eventually kicks in. Then when playing at 33 it will occasionally speed up for a few seconds then slow back down to 33. The speed when running are stable at the correct speed.

Appreciate any thoughts on trouble shooting the problem. I am going to clean and deoxit what I can but I suspect it is an board or component issue.

I have that same table. Don't use it much so I lent it to friend while I "de-hummed" his Dual. Before I took it over, I noticed the same speed change (or did not change) issue. All I did was shoot contact cleaner into the speed selector switch, exercised it several dozen times and that did the trick for me.

62vauxhall nailed the most likely culprit. :)

Also check for obviously leaking or damaged caps in the power supply circuit and bad solder joints anywhere inside. It's unlikely to be an IC problem if it's working most of the time.

I have that same table. Don't use it much so I lent it to friend while I "de-hummed" his Dual. Before I took it over, I noticed the same speed change (or did not change) issue. All I did was shoot contact cleaner into the speed selector switch, exercised it several dozen times and that did the trick for me.

Thanks, I hit it with some deoxit and letting it dry out - kinda similar to a Dual 505 micro switch that gets stuck and there is no power. I also found the rotten foam thread and changed that as the arm return was off. The board looks good, so hope that is all it takes for this table, that would be super. We will see in a bit.

Last edited:
I'm about to service one of these as well. It's functioning perfectly so cleaning, deoxit, and inspection for the foam deterioration and dried grease is probably as far as I'll go. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

Re-assembled and it is working great playing a couple of LPs. Wish they were all this easy to put right. Few pictures for others down the road.

Switch - #50 in the service manual. One screw to take it out, spray inside well and work the switch and it took care of speed issues.

IMG_20180120_121652.jpg

For the tonearm returning and sitting correctly, the rotted black foam was removed and replaced. I used a small piece of sponge cut to size. I glued it on with Aleen's tacky glue but double sided tape is the usual way. From what I read some people use foam, some cork, this is working really well.
IMG_20180120_121812B.jpg

Good to hear it's up and running! It's quite a nice table and still fairly under the radar. A good match to the AT95e as well.

I really love the strobe design and it's definitely a looker. The motor is quite nice as well. I do wish the controls and chassis plastics were a bit more solid feeling.

Re-assembled and it is working great playing a couple of LPs. Wish they were all this easy to put right. Few pictures for others down the road.

Switch - #50 in the service manual. One screw to take it out, spray inside well and work the switch and it took care of speed issues.

View attachment 1093799

For the tonearm returning and sitting correctly, the rotted black foam was removed and replaced. I used a small piece of sponge cut to size. I glued it on with Aleen's tacky glue but double sided tape is the usual way. From what I read some people use foam, some cork, this is working really well.
View attachment 1093806
I have the same table with the same rotted foam problem and a few years back I found the thread here at AK on how to fix this problem. I can't believe how easy it was to fix on this table because I'm very leary of taking apart table for fear of permanently screwing them up. (Ican't even get my Dual 510 apart to replace the rca cables) I didn't glue foam onto the arm because I didn't want to deal with foam rot again so I used about 3 or 4 wraps of electrical tape and it still works great after a couple of years and thousands of records played. The speed on mine has always been solid.

Back
Top Bottom