JVC TD-V541 tape deck running way too fast

Berserkur

I've got a JVC TD-V541 tape deck that I picked up at a second hand store. The machine looks and operates perfectly well, except the tape runs super, super fast (like faster than searching speed). Sounds like the Chipmunks and methamphetamine!

Is this a common problem with these machines, that they get this way with time? The machine probably hadn't been used for a good 10 years before I picked it up.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

Another cause which is mechanical in nature could be pinch roller(s) in poor condition. These harden as they age and lose their elasticity which prevents them from keeping the tape firmly pressed against the capstan(s). This in turn allows the tape to be pulled through the tape path by the reel motors at a speed higher than normal.

I have not worked on this type of unit so I don't know how difficult it is to remove and replace the pinch rollers. The service manual may provide additional information regarding this. Your original pinch rollers can likely be rebuilt to "like new" condition by Terry Witt although the cost for doing this will be $35 per roller plus shipping costs.

www.terrysrubberrollers.com

Back
Top Bottom